Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should marijuana be legalized?
Yes 104 89.66%
No 12 10.34%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 07:00 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,953,701 times

Advertisements

[quote=Fleet;11321162]
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Why add yet another problem to society?
Fleet......

Sadly, the "problem" you are referring to.....IS HERE, has been for the last 40+ years in an enormous way.....and its here to STAY!

Nobody is ADDING anything that isn't already HERE and enjoyed by 50 MILLION Americans already.
And.....this is from a Conservative too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 08:19 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sign View Post

Fleet......

Sadly, the "problem" you are referring to.....IS HERE, has been for the last 40+ years in an enormous way.....and its here to STAY!

Nobody is ADDING anything that isn't already HERE and enjoyed by 50 MILLION Americans already.
The quote you have attributed to me is not mine. In the post you quoted, #88, I typed "Booze is a gateway drug. Most young people start with drinking. Should we go back to prohibition of alcohol?" The quote has my signin name on it but I never said that. It seems the quote option isn't working correctly.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:28 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Ummmm......hasnt marijuana been decriminalized in Ohio? I'm certain it has because a friend of mine WAS pulled over and his bag was found. He received a ticket for less than $200.00 (contrast this with me getting a ticket for obstructing a public roadway that WAS $200.00)

However, in Illinois, that bag of marijuana gets you thrown in jail. So actually, you are luckier than most to have this law, you should be happy for it.
In New Jersey, you will go to court and get a fine or probation, especially because when you get to court the evidence will about a fifth of what the cops actually took from you.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:45 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,953,701 times
Quote:
The quote you have attributed to me is not mine. In the post you quoted, #88, I typed "Booze is a gateway drug. Most young people start with drinking. Should we go back to prohibition of alcohol?" The quote has my signin name on it but I never said that. It seems the quote option isn't working correctly.
It's ALL Goooood!
Look what the topic is.........
It's OK.....if your on Maui time, a bit confused or hit a wrong key while responding to any of "these" posts.
We forgive 'ya.
It's the polite stoner thing to do.

Oh......was it MY mistake you were referring too?
Sorry if it was....I don't know.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:11 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times
Quote:
Booze is a gateway drug. Most young people start with drinking. Should we go back to prohibition of alcohol?
The usual order for gateway drugs is:

Sugar >> Caffeine >> Alcohol/Tobacco/Snuff >> Marijuana or Cocaine

Other drugs usually enter though independent variables and not gateways.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:57 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
[quote=Sign;11321373]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post

Fleet......

It would be even more of a problem if it was legalized. Let's hope that never happens.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:59 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
The usual order for gateway drugs is:

Sugar >> Caffeine >> Alcohol/Tobacco/Snuff >> Marijuana or Cocaine

Other drugs usually enter though independent variables and not gateways.
That is way too much of a generalization. I've consumed sugar and caffeine, yet have absolutely no craving or desire for alcohol or tobacco or snuff. And certainly no desire for marijuana or cocaine.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:08 PM

768 posts, read 942,943 times
There are no gateway drugs. There are weak people, and there are people who have the intellectual ability and self worth to know when it's time to stop.

Just because some of you might enjoy sober weekends of gardening, solitaire and CSI Miami reruns doesn't mean every other productive, tax-paying citizens need to as well. I find it gross that people are debating what I should and shouldn't be consuming on a friday night as though it's their business.

Gross. Vote libertarian.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:20 PM

23 posts, read 199,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Ummmm......hasnt marijuana been decriminalized in Ohio? I'm certain it has because a friend of mine WAS pulled over and his bag was found. He received a ticket for less than $200.00 (contrast this with me getting a ticket for obstructing a public roadway that WAS $200.00) However, in Illinois, that bag of marijuana gets you thrown in jail. So actually, you are luckier than most to have this law, you should be happy for it.
TECHNICALLY YOU ARE CORRECT POT IS DECRIMINALIZED IN OHIO. The issue here is transporting across state lines. Any time any drugs are taken across state lines that can be construed as transporting which is a federal beef. Obama didn't fix anything he merely told the DEA not to bust people with medical marijuana slips BUT if you are growing your own say in your back field the DEA could still bust you on the grounds that you are growing for distribution.

This is why I say Obama is a clown who cowtows to these dumb Soccer moms who were the same ones Clinton was listening to when we got all those dumb V Chips in our televisions. Who here besides me gets irritated every time that little box comes up and says TV MA TV 14. So if Obama had the stuff to vacate all federal laws and got all Federal Agencies out of pot once and for all we would be good.

Watch my words. Obama will try this cake and eat it too approach with the FBI and the DEA still scoring big bucks on drug busts while trying to be cool with pot but then allowing them to bust some growers so you never know exactly where you stand. Totally unconstitutional. Either something is legal 100% or it is illegal 100%

Unfortunately we will have to deal with the Obama hopscotch which is better than nothing but still scary because if you can't prove thats medical pot or you seem to have a good supply of plants you could be under federal charges. More BS from Washington

Old 10-23-2009, 11:34 PM

23 posts, read 199,539 times
Nah, Obama is with us pot users full throttle. He's done everything he can realistically do to push it in the right direction. He has emboldens research-intellectually honest research, for once, regarding cannabis. He has told the DEA in very direct terms to stop harassing people following state law.

Most recently, he took a big political risk and made an announcement through his reps reiterating his position that the DEA lay off patients in med friendly states.

Read between the lines, his position is as follows: "I am with you guys, but if you think I'm going to exercise political capital with a broken economy and 2 wars, you're smoking some goooooood ****."

I respect that

HIS STANCE IS 100% Unconstitutional. Anytime a law is a Federal Law that means ALL 50 states. It is a cowardly cop out to try and say, "Well DEA you can bust him because he has 12 plants because I said he can only have 10." Are you kidding me?

The DEA can still bust people they deem as growers or transporters. So exactly what constitutes a grower or a transporter? In states where there is no medical marijuana try growing a few plants and see what happens if somehow the Feds become involved. Like I said Harry Truman desegregated the US military with an executive order. Thats b****.

As I said before worrying about a bunch of white soccer moms in some rich suburb voting Republican in 2012 because their kid smoked a doobie is kinda pathetic. The states would still have the ability to formulate their own laws about marijuana which is how it should be a state issue no feds anywhere anytime anyplace period.

I am for the Tenth Amendment which states that the powers not delegated to the US by the Constitution nor prohibited to it by the people are reserved to the states respectively or to the people.

Obama claims to know the US Constitution but he obviously thinks he is a law unto himself. I am telling him get some fortitude issue the executive order get rid of the federal bans on pot and the heck with the consequences because it is the right thing to do. Otherwise he is merely another minion of our prison industrial complex
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies