Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should marijuana be legalized?
Yes 104 89.66%
No 12 10.34%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 04:10 PM

24,514 posts, read 33,350,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/19/bu...19readers.html

Readers digest is known as a right wing publication, they were trying to save the publication from bankruptcy, of course that failed.

So onto the facts about Marijuana usage.

[SIZE=2]December 3, 2002 - Washington, DC, USA[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Washington, DC: Marijuana experimentation by adolescents does not lead to the use of harder drugs, according to the findings of a RAND study released Monday. The study dismisses the so-called "gateway theory," and raises doubts regarding the legitimacy of federal drug policies based upon its premise.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Marijuana Not A Gateway To Hard Drug Use, Rand Study Says<BR>Conclusions Raise Serious Doubts Regarding The Legitimacy Of U.S. Drug Policy - NORML[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Here is a good article, with sources if you happen to read it, that shows.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Marijuana doesn't cause brain damage, Marijuana usage is only addictive to less than 1% of the population (probably mental, not physical), Marijuana isn't more powerful today than it was in yesteryear, [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]And, its less likely to cause cancer than cigarette smoking,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] Moderate smoking of marijuana appears to pose minimal danger to the lungs. Like tobacco smoke, marijuana smoke contains a number of irritants and carcinogens. But marijuana users typically smoke much less often than tobacco smokers, and over time, inhale much less smoke. As a result, the risk of serious lung damage should be lower in marijuana smokers. There have been no reports of lung cancer related solely to marijuana, and in a large study presented to the American Thoracic Society in 2006, even heavy users of smoked marijuana were found not to have any increased risk of lung cancer. Unlike heavy tobacco smokers, heavy marijuana smokers exhibit no obstruction of the lung's small airway. That indicates that people will not develop emphysema from smoking marijuana.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Myths and Facts About Marijuana
The New York Times is known as a left-wing publication. The New York Times has also had to retract stories due to their extreme leftist views.

The Reader's Digest prints articles from other source and from studies. Whether they are right-wing doesn't matter when the print the results of studies from credible sources.

As for cancer, I'll repeat again: One marijuana joint has 4 times more tar than a regular cigarette.

And are you serious? One of your "sources" is a pro-marijuana site! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

It looks I was right when I said some people will never accept anything negative about marijuana.
I am also right when I say any kind of endorsement or acceptance of marijuana (along with cocaine) sets a very bad example for children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 05:17 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,549,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
Not just for medical purposes, legalized like alcohol.
Yes!

Old 10-25-2009, 05:19 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,222,840 times
ALL drugs should be legalized to take the profit out of drug dealing. That is the only way to put the cartels out of business.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:21 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,553,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
The New York Times is known as a left-wing publication. The New York Times has also had to retract stories due to their extreme leftist views.

No wonder you are so adamantly opposed to the legalization of marijuana. With a viewpoint like that you certainly fit the profile.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:21 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,398,999 times
Quote:

The Reader's Digest prints articles from other source and from studies. Whether they are right-wing doesn't matter when the print the results of studies from credible sources.

As for cancer, I'll repeat again: One marijuana joint has 4 times more tar than a regular cigarette.

And are you serious? One of your "sources" is a pro-marijuana site! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

It looks I was right when I said some people will never accept anything negative about marijuana.
I am also right when I say any kind of endorsement or acceptance of marijuana (along with cocaine) sets a very bad example for children.
Fleet, many of us with medical conditions don't smoke marijuana. We make an oil from it and consume it or we use a vaporizer.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:06 PM

10 posts, read 16,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
No. MJ is every bit as dangerous as any class one narcotic. It should be treated the same way we treat codin and other drugs like that.

It should be available to sick people and in some cases I do believe it is a violation of human rights that it isnt available. Especially to people being treated for cancer.

However, the fact that you cannot grow Hemp in America is just stupid. HEMP (non-THC) is a very good plant with all kinds of uses and the fact that it is not a cash crop in America is just stupid beyond belief.
What's in YOUR pipe?

Old 10-25-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Fleet, many of us with medical conditions don't smoke marijuana. We make an oil from it and consume it or we use a vaporizer.
Many "medical conditions" can be treated with non-mind altering herbs.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
No wonder you are so adamantly opposed to the legalization of marijuana. With a viewpoint like that you certainly fit the profile.
That is true. I happen to have morals and values and care about society and how children are affected.

And allowing another problem into society is a giant step backwards.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:50 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,580,025 times
Quote:
My friend who passed away from cancer smoked pot at close to the end. His legs were in pain & he found it hard to walk, this was before he finally checked himself into the hospital. He lived w/me for about a month before he died & it was hard watching him in so much pain. I'm glad he had the pot to give him at least a little comfort.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:03 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,398,999 times
Quote:
And those also have side effects. Dependancy, (addiction) seizures or hallucinations are common with zanaflex and lioresal. They also must be taken consistently to have an affect. As I have an issue with elevated liver enzymes, and frequently take prednisone, they aren't my first choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies