Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 12:58 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Will you be writing a check for treating addiction?

I couldn't help myself--having watched my brother abuse substances/serve prison time and die from this illness.

Not a viable alternative, jmo.
I was thinking of using the money saved from fighting the War on Drugs. It should be plenty.

Very sorry about your brother. I don't mean to be rude or insensitive and am seeking an honest answer--did you think incarcerating him helped his situation at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 01:02 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I was thinking of using the money saved from fighting the War on Drugs. It should be plenty.

Very sorry about your brother. I don't mean to be rude or insensitive and am seeking an honest answer--did you think incarcerating him helped his situation at all?
I don't like to talk about it. He died last May. My mother is not doing well.

sigh--No--prison didn't help. Diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic while incarcerated. It was the drugs. Manufactured some meth in the 70's--my dad had a heart attack--there wasn't much money--it was the 70's--etc.

RIP, Alan.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:08 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,396,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
ready to seal the borders now ???

Drug trafficing is too profitable for "sealing" a border to do much good. The money reward is so great that they will find a way to bring it no matter what.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Drug trafficing is too profitable for "sealing" a border to do much good. The money reward is so great that they will find a way to bring it no matter what.
Then--because I am profoundly frustrated--blast South America and all countries involved off the face of the earth.

I'm sorry. I hate drugs--hate, hate, hate everything that defiles humanity.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Then--because I am profoundly frustrated--blast South America and all countries involved off the face of the earth.

I'm sorry. I hate drugs--hate, hate, hate everything that defiles humanity.
I can understand you disliking something but you can't stop others from liking or wanting. What "defiles" humanity is subjective, I drink beer sometimes and smoke cigs some think that is defiling.

ALL countries are involved so the only way you'll stop it is blowing up the entire Earth. They need to legalize it....

Old 10-23-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
I can understand you disliking something but you can't stop others from liking or wanting. What "defiles" humanity is subjective, I drink beer sometimes and smoke cigs some think that is defiling.

ALL countries are involved so the only way you'll stop it is blowing up the entire Earth. They need to legalize it....
What can be done--except what is being done?

I believe drugs should go--that is how I will vote and that is not my 'Right' but a privelege of living in the US.

I know what you are saying. FWIW.

Child of the 70's that I am. What seemed 'harmless' in earlier years now seems like an epidemic that will destroy civilization.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
What can be done--except what is being done?

I believe drugs should go--that is how I will vote and that is not my 'Right' but a privelege of living in the US.

I know what you are saying. FWIW.

Child of the 70's that I am. What seemed 'harmless' in earlier years now seems like an epidemic that will destroy civilization.

You have a right to vote however you want but you have to take personal feelings out of it and realize you can't control what others want or do unless you want to live under a Taliban type regime. I too have known people destroyed by drugs but it doesn't change the fact.

More people die from it being illegal than from useage itself. And the fact that government shouldn't have the right to dictate to a person what they do as long as that person's habits don't interfere with someone else.

It would be much better to have it legal and treat the addicts that can be treated,but some you can't save.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:36 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Want to know how they got here?

Illegally across our border!

Nobody who immigrates here legally and goes through the legal channels can spread a network like this in so short an amount of time!

I say 100% it has everything to do with illegal immigration.

300 people arrested in 19 states! what poison!

Old 10-23-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
You have a right to vote however you want but you have to take personal feelings out of it and realize you can't control what others want or do unless you want to live under a Taliban type regime. I too have known people destroyed by drugs but it doesn't change the fact.

More people die from it being illegal than from useage itself. And the fact that government shouldn't have the right to dictate to a person what they do as long as that person's habits don't interfere with someone else.

It would be much better to have it legal and treat the addicts that can be treated,but some you can't save.
I don't know that I will ever 'think' this---it is much too overwhelming for me.

All I can do is try to gain perspective.

I have gotten as far as agreeing that medical uses for marijuana might be a possible answer. I used to oppose that.

In my life--substance abuse is a problem I don't need.

According to some--German/Irish/Scots have a genetic factor that leads to greater harm when 'mind altering' drugs are used. True/not true? Hard to say --I tend to believe this.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I don't know that I will ever 'think' this---it is much too overwhelming for me.

All I can do is try to gain perspective.

I have gotten as far as agreeing that medical uses for marijuana might be a possible answer. I used to oppose that.

In my life--substance abuse is a problem I don't need.

According to some--German/Irish/Scots have a genetic factor that leads to greater harm when 'mind altering' drugs are used. True/not true? Hard to say --I tend to believe this.

Has a war on drugs stopped the flow, has it stopped people from doing it?,for the most part no. Legalization would not increase useage much because those that do it do it legal or not. Marijuana at the very least should be treated like alchohol.

Harder drugs should be available also in my mind beacuse it would slash drug lords and gangs violence and addicts from commiting crimes to gain drugs, like the f*c*er who broke into my house and stole my guitars last month to sell for drug money....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies