Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 07:05 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Legally? Lol! good luck suing the federal government, better save up your nickels and dimes so the supreme court will be hearing your case soon........ (sarcasm)
It's not impossible. On a personal level, I did it. I sued the IRS - twice. And won both.

You should also look up the name "William Starker" - just a plain 'ole American - who also sued, successfully, the IRS. Bill wasn't rich. Nor I.

There are a pot full of damn fine constitutional lawyers out there right now who are, I'm sure, talking to potential clients, over this issue - who would represent their clients Pro Bono -

We are reaching a point where a "crisis" will spill over into the courts.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:11 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,576,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
So do I and the last thing I am is a liberal.

It defies belief that the usual suspects from the lunatic right chime in here with their mindless partisan nonsense even on this issue - where we are talking about companies would not even exist today but for government assistance.

"Just give me your billions, but keep your damn nose out of my business"!

It is unworthy of even a feeble attempt to explain these people.
Trust me, friend.

I know that Sunnydays and several other irrational posters on here will never be able to hold a good debate. It is just fun to edge them on sometimes. No facts. Just blabbing on and on about how "horrible" Obama is and suing the federal government. It is good to laugh at, you know? This is why I like coming to this forum on some days.

I understand that not all conservatives are like this at all. I have several conservative friends and we debate but in the end, we both know that we're cool and really good friends. But the extreme ones...agh....

You cannot argue with stupid. You just cannot. "Just give me your billions, but keep your damn nose out of my business"! Exactly. It became OUR business and President Obamas business as they took the first penny.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:11 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,639,313 times
I doubt that the Wall Street executives would prevail in a Constitutional challenge against having their pay curtailed if their firms had been recipients of government funds. That would neutralize any sort of equal protection or 5th Amendment takings claim.

They are free to try, but at the risk of inspiring some serious populist outrage. I predict they will, for the most part, stand down and accept their situations, which are still quite wealthy under any circumstances.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:16 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times
Cool good for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
+1

Let them see how it may feel to be someone on the lower part of the chain.

Especially bank of america. I made a thread a week or so ago about leaving them because they are bailed out and now putting "fees" on people-myself included. I am sooo sick of it. I ALWAYS pay my bills on time. My credit is EXCELLENT. I am sick and tired of seeing this. And then the CEO gets a 50 million dollar bonus? For what? Putting up fees that I did not incur? I am proud to say I am leaving Bank of America tomorrow.

I am a hardworking college student. I have worked since I was 15 years old. Going to school full time and working part time. I dont have time for any bull that B of A pulls on me. I have dealt with it for the last year or so and I am done.

That being said I do not wish cancer upon anyone.
B of A are thieves and liars (I worked for them a few years ago,lol) they are all on the bailout gravy train and mortgage crisis which started under Bushie....and the bilderberg group, yes they can all party in Palm Beach now knowing we poor stupid Americans who don't have 10 million in discretionary income are footing the bailouts for corporate welfare.....btw Bush owns a large street in Palm Beach, take a ride through it and see imperialism in action....I prefer communism to what this country's banks are doing to us....

Old 10-22-2009, 07:18 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,724,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
NO - Obama has NO LEGAL RIGHT to do this.. Nor does the "PayCzar" - who was not confirmed by the Senate - and no one knows his background.

I'm going to suggest - no, I'm going to predict, that we are quickly heading towards a Constitutional Crisis. I'm predicting that one of these people having their pay reduced, is going to file suit against the Federal Government - specifically the President for these actions.

I'm also going to suggest that we may be fast approaching a time when the POTUS may have Articles of Impeachment drawn up.

You are reacting emotionally versus legally.
The President and his lawyers are a lot smarter than you are and, trust me, they have this covered. There is nothing in the Constitution about corporate bailouts, either, is there?

You don't know what you're taking about.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:26 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,724,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
You cannot argue with stupid. You just cannot. "Just give me your billions, but keep your damn nose out of my business"! Exactly. It became OUR business and President Obamas business as they took the first penny.
It certainly did and you're right - you can't argue with stupid. That's why my ignore list has started to grow rapidly.

The best reason that the President has for doing this is that it's the right thing to do. And thinking people understand that.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:33 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,576,037 times
Quote:
It certainly did and you're right - you can't argue with stupid. That's why my ignore list has started to grow rapidly.

The best reason that the President has for doing this is that it's the right thing to do. And thinking people understand that.
I would like to add to the ignore list but for some reason I don't. I just want to be able to see the stupidity and be grateful that I am not like that.

Quote:
The President and his lawyers are a lot smarter than you are and, trust me, they have this covered. There is nothing in the Constitution about corporate bailouts, either, is there?

You don't know what you're taking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
B of A are thieves and liars (I worked for them a few years ago,lol) they are all on the bailout gravy train and mortgage crisis which started under Bushie....and the bilderberg group, yes they can all party in Palm Beach now knowing we poor stupid Americans who don't have 10 million in discretionary income are footing the bailouts for corporate welfare.....btw Bush owns a large street in Palm Beach, take a ride through it and see imperialism in action....I prefer communism to what this country's banks are doing to us....
Wow. Words from an ex employee. I am so grateful I will be leaving Bank of America tomorrow.

And I am also grateful Bush is gone.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:57 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,312,478 times
[quote=Marksman84;11306202]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Obama could not run a popcorn stand without having them in debt within the first hour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post

Do not use OUR tax money so loose, remember 43% of American DO NOT pay taxes, therefore have no say in this according to your idea.

Taking money from the government does not bind them to do what this moron wants to them do. Afterall he cannot even run the WH let along all these businesses.

I surely would not want his dirty fingers in my business with his record of poor decisions and failures.

It is NOT his job to do this period. It will not only hurt those companies but those people will leave and hurt the companies from day one.

Another stupid mistake by Obama.[/quote]

Unfortunately that's what happens when the sheeple elect a cult of personality with ZERO business/financial acumen.

They cannot say we all did not tell them this.

Old 10-22-2009, 08:04 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,312,478 times
Wow, now we find out that Obama knew nothing about this happening.

So then the czar made this decision without asking Obama?

If so, that would be unconstitutional for a czar to have this much authority without confirmation of congress.

Please stop using TAXPAYER money like many of you do. Many of you DO NOT PAY TAXES in the first place.

What Obama does not understand is if you do this, it will in most cases hurt the business and therefore costing them money in the long run.

He still has no reason to make this decision, it is not his decision on how much someone gets paid no matter if they are receiving bailout money or not.

What is next?

Old 10-22-2009, 08:19 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Why do you think these people are irreplaceable? And that they deserve their golden parachutes and will get it anywhere, anytime? I don't think smart businesses are that dumb, yet.

Ummm do you think anyone good would go to a firm where their pay is subject to the whim of a paymaster when they could go to another bank who is not subject to the same restrictions?

Who said anything about golden parachutes, we are talking about market rate pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies