Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 05:09 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times

Advertisements

I remember Warren Buffet saying the same thing in US. I don't think I agree with their approach, but I must admit they truly want to help their countries and are ready to sacrifice.

Rich Germans demand higher taxes

BBC NEWS | Europe | Rich Germans demand higher taxes

A group of rich Germans has launched a petition calling for the government to make wealthy people pay higher taxes.
The group say they have more money than they need, and the extra revenue could fund economic and social programmes to aid Germany's economic recovery.

Germany could raise 100bn euros if the richest people paid a 5% wealth tax for two years, they say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 05:11 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,921,177 times
those types of arguments always make me laugh. nobody is stopping anyone from writing that extra check to the government, yet they still aren't writing it......

Old 10-23-2009, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
those types of arguments always make me laugh. nobody is stopping anyone from writing that extra check to the government, yet they still aren't writing it......
Laugh away. How do you know what they are writing, and how do you know it wouldn't throw off the government books?

Old 10-23-2009, 06:13 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,319,109 times
Signed by 44 people out of the 2.2 million that are considered the wealthy class...hardly considered a movement.

Sounds like they want to change the system the good old fashioned way...by buying it
Quote:
Simply donating money to deal with the problems is not enough, they want a change in the whole approach.

"The path out of the crisis must be paved with massive investment in ecology, education and social justice," they say in the petition.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Signed by 44 people out of the 2.2 million that are considered the wealthy class...hardly considered a movement.
It didn't say anything about a 'movement', but the petition is being sent to Merkel.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:36 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I remember Warren Buffet saying the same thing in US.
Actually that isnt what Buffet said. He said that he should be taxed at a higher rate true, but his total yearly income is $100,000.00, despite him being worth tens of billions of dollars. Much of his wealth grew tax free, and if he was so concerned about paying more taxes, he wouldnt be giving everydime he owns to charity upon his death, he would be putting his money where his mouth is and donating it to the govt, or allowing his family to cashout his estate thereby paying tens of billions to the taxman.

When Buffet pays taxes, I'll start to care about what he says about his tax rate.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
Apparently these wealthy folks know how their wealth is created and are trying to keep the golden goose alive.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually that isnt what Buffet said. He said that he should be taxed at a higher rate true, but his total yearly income is $100,000.00, despite him being worth tens of billions of dollars. Much of his wealth grew tax free, and if he was so concerned about paying more taxes, he wouldnt be giving everydime he owns to charity upon his death, he would be putting his money where his mouth is and donating it to the govt, or allowing his family to cashout his estate thereby paying tens of billions to the taxman.

When Buffet pays taxes, I'll start to care about what he says about his tax rate.
Yes, as you say, he was talking about the rates and loopholes. He said that the rich need to pay more taxes, because there are so many loop-holes for the rich that they end up paying a lower rate than their employees whose incomes are only a fraction of theirs. His secretary was being taxed at a higher rate than himself.

It is what it it, and like I said I don't agree with the approach myself.

I am not sure if you can donate money to the government, without throwing off their books. I simply don't know if that is possible.

Warren Buffet To Democrats: The Rich Need To Pay More In Taxes#

Warren Buffet, the renowned investor and the world’s second richest man, told Senate Democrats that wealthy Americans need to pay higher taxes, giving Democrats something to mull as they address healthcare reform and soaring federal deficits.

Senate Democrats met with Buffett for more than an hour over lunch Thursday, peppering him with questions about the economy, said lawmakers in attendance.

“He said rich people are not paying enough taxes,” said Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.). “It was interesting to see someone who is such an aggressive capitalist, who believes so much in our capitalist system, saying we’ve got the scales way too heavily toward people who are very, very wealthy.”

Buffett told lawmakers that because of the cuts to the capital gains tax passed under former President George W. Bush, he pays taxes at a lower rate than some of his company’s employees.
It is an argument the investor has made before. Buffett said he paid a 16.5 percent tax rate on all his income because the tax rate on investment dividends and long-term capital gains is only 15 percent.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 10-23-2009 at 07:09 AM..

Old 10-23-2009, 06:53 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,203,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post

Their goal is to get EVERYONE taxed, not just themselves, or a small group of them.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:57 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,203,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, as you say, he was talking about the rates and loopholes. He said that the rich need to pay more taxes, because there are so many loop-holes for the rich that they end up paying a lower rate than their emiplyees whose incomes are only a fraction of theirs. His secretary was being taxed at a higer rate than himself.

It is what it it, and like I said I don't agree with the approach myself.

I am not sure if you can donate money to the government, without throwing off their books. I simply don't know if that is possible.

Warren Buffet To Democrats: The Rich Need To Pay More In Taxes#

Warren BUffet, the renowned investor and the world’s second richest man, told Senate Democrats that wealthy Americans need to pay higher taxes, giving Democrats something to mull as they address healthcare reform and soaring federal deficits.

Senate Democrats met with Buffett for more than an hour over lunch Thursday, peppering him with questions about the economy, said lawmakers in attendance.

“He said rich people are not paying enough taxes,” said Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.). “It was interesting to see someone who is such an aggressive capitalist, who believes so much in our capitalist system, saying we’ve got the scales way too heavily toward people who are very, very wealthy.”

Buffett told lawmakers that because of the cuts to the capital gains tax passed under former President George W. Bush, he pays taxes at a lower rate than some of his company’s employees.
It is an argument the investor has made before. Buffett said he paid a 16.5 percent tax rate on all his income because the tax rate on investment dividends and long-term capital gains is only 15 percent.

I seem to recall an instance where Buffet compared his tax returns to mid level employee of one of his firms, and he paid less of a percent of taxes.

Buffett is definately one rich guy who gets it. He knows that welfare capitalism is the only form of capitalism that actually works. Its refreshing to see a rich person think like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies