Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 09:18 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,864,651 times

Advertisements

I can make it simpler... I am just tired of news channels. In reality they do nothing but agrivate situations, stir up fear, and promote few facts. Guess Im at the point I question why anyone really needs the bulk of them.

Does anything going on in Iraq affect you? does the investors fear on wall street do anything to you?
Do you feel any better knowing the grizzly details of someone killing another? Does it in any way make you happier? Do you treat anyone better? Are you a nicer person from it?

Seems to me as years have progressed the people have gotten nastier as the news has Could the betterment of society be as simple as turning the TV off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 09:30 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Seems to me as years have progressed the people have gotten nastier as the news has Could the betterment of society be as simple as turning the TV off?
Could be why the standard media channels are losing audience. Most of the time when our TV is on we watch one of the History, Science type channels.

When it comes to standard newscasts you get 3 types - bad, badder & worse.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:35 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,643,185 times
It is getting increasingly more difficult to find real news, of any merit. Even Fox has gone down the idiot's path to nonsense. Sad indeed. So will just stick to my favorite news websites. Chicago Thug in Chief and his group may be ruining that avenue soon as well. Beware an ensuing Dark Age.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:37 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,904,050 times
Junk food TV. They eat it up. I wouldn't be surprised if a toy is made in China, and shipped to Wal mart. The Balloon Boy. He has a pull string. His nose grows with every lie he tells, and he pops the balloon with the point of his nose. Replacement balloon packs=2.99. When the toy goes on sale, millions of ebayers crush and maim one another trying to get through the Wal Mart doors. resale value = 50 cents higher. Broken arm= priceless.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:41 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,344,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
It is getting increasingly more difficult to find real news, of any merit. Even Fox has gone down the idiot's path to nonsense. Sad indeed. So will just stick to my favorite news websites. Chicago Thug in Chief and his group may be ruining that avenue soon as well. Beware an ensuing Dark Age.
What do you consider a "news website"?

Old 10-24-2009, 09:57 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,069,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Sorry, no disrespect for the deceased, but why was Anna Nicole Smith famous and why were hundreds of hours of air time devoted to her passing? Is this representative of the American mentality? Shame.

Well it's not just the American mentality. It's a human thing. Yes it's true! Even though Brits and Europeans have a cool accents, they too are as clueless as everyone else. When you really get down to it, we're all a bunch of hairless apes with a very short attention span and a very limited ability to control our urges. The fact that we stand at the top of the food chain has little to do with us and more to do with a series of random climatic events that worked in our favor.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:26 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,643,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
What do you consider a "news website"?

I like the "50 Best Conservative Websites". For laughs will occasionally go to the swamp sites for the "other side".

Old 10-24-2009, 12:22 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,640,475 times
The writer Robert Kaplan actually raised some of those issues in a recent article explaining why Al Jazeera is his new favorite news channel - because Al Jazeera actually covers the news!

Why I Love Al Jazeera

Quote:
Over just a few days in late May... I was treated to penetrating portraits of Eritrean and Ethiopian involvement in the Somali war, of the struggle of Niger River rebels against the Nigerian government in the oil-rich south of the country, of the floods in Bangladesh, of problems with the South African economy, of the danger that desertification poses to Bedouin life in northern Sudan, of the environmental devastation around the Aral Sea, of Sikh violence in India after an attack on a temple in Austria, of foreign Islamic fighters in the southern Philippines, of microfinancing programs in Kenya, of rigged elections in South Ossetia, of human-rights demonstrations in Guatemala, and of much more.
It's rather sad that our domestic news channels can't come anywhere near that level of coverage. But to be fair, they are indeed responding to market demand. News websites often have a sidebar noting their "most viewed" and "most e-mailed" stories. And most of them are typical celebrity/entertainment fare - NOT what we would consider "substantive" issues.

So, that raises the question - is it the job of the media to shape people's news experience, and offer up substantive content, and try to channel people toward "important" stories? Or is it their job to make money and offer up what people will actually read or watch?

Old 10-24-2009, 01:22 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,997,202 times
"News" channels, even legit ones, have been promoting stupidity for a while now. The dumbing down of America can be seen in the younger generation's inability to think critically anymore or to see many facets of an argument, they cannot think outside of the box anymore, and their obsession with pop culture surpasses any knowledge they might possess of their own country's history. Do they still teach history in public schools or is that banned because American history is racist (according to the anti-US progressive libfreaks who promote the hatred of Christopher Columbus)?

I don't watch the news anymore. Especially the local news. Even news magazine shows like 60 Minutes seem to have lost their journalistic edge, focusing too much on celebrities or athletes I don't care about.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:20 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,693,567 times
I find it amazing that with all the news worthy stories our news media airs the balloon boy, Letterman, and Jon and Kate. We have the greatest communication tools at hand and we use them for gossip.

Modern day TV is the similar to a caveman inventing the wheel and using it as a lazy suzan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies