Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2009, 05:21 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,559,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
are you saying none of those kids called the police, nobody did?
The victim was found unconscious and "brutally assaulted" under a bench shortly before midnight Saturday, after police received a call from someone in the area who had overheard people at the assault scene "reminiscing about the incident"...

Police: Gang rape outside school dance lasted over two hours - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 05:22 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,292,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
Not eveything that is wrong is or should be against the law. Legally I don't see how you could hold the by-standers responsible for anything. Also, you would open a pandora's box of additional problems all the way from do-gooders getting hurt to vigilanteism

Calling the police might should be the extent of their involvement in any event.
So Accessory to rape should not be charged. And the slippery slope argument doesn't apply. This is a specific case. 15 guys observing a rape for 2 hours. LOL...I knew you guys would answer!

Old 10-27-2009, 05:22 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
Nobody did anything when I was being abused by my parents, except me--and no one should have.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:27 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,570,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Nobody did anything when I was being abused by my parents, except me--and no one should have.
How did you feel when no one reached out their hand to you? You would know first hand how it feels right?

Trust me. I got beat by parents several times too. This is WHY I stand up for people who are getting beat up, raped.

Meanwhile I am sorry you were abused but that is NOT a reason to justify not caring if something as brutal as rape is going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
The victim was found unconscious and "brutally assaulted" under a bench shortly before midnight Saturday, after police received a call from someone in the area who had overheard people at the assault scene "reminiscing about the incident"...

Police: Gang rape outside school dance lasted over two hours - CNN.com
I think I might just throw up.

How can this world come down to this...?

Old 10-27-2009, 05:29 PM

I don't feel anything about it. It made me stronger, because I had to handle it on my own without anyone's help--or interference.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:30 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,292,121 times
Quote:
Nothing. I don't know her, it isn't any of my business or problem. Now, if they turn to attack me, that's another matter entirely.

Well, not NOTHING exactly. I wouldn't stand by and watch--I'd just keep walking, about my OWN business. I don't have time to be wasting on others.
You are being honest and I respect that. At the same time you have to admit you don't have much character either? I mean seriously, someone who doesn't care if one is getting raped doesn't have character or honor. Sorry but you can't have it both ways. You can't tell us you are a man of character AND you don't care about someone getting raped. It doesn't work that way.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:32 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,251,135 times
Those who stood around and did nothing to stop this horrific act are legally culpable contrary to TKramers comments to the contrary.

IMLO, those who did nothing may very well receive jail sentences for their inactions.

And, I would like to turn the key to lock the door!

Old 10-27-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
You are being honest and I respect that. At the same time you have to admit you don't have much character either? I mean seriously, someone who doesn't care if one is getting raped doesn't have character or honor. Sorry but you can't have it both ways. You can't tell us you are a man of character AND you don't care about someone getting raped. It doesn't work that way.
I do have honor--where it applies directly to me. I take pride in my work, for example, and do the best job I can, not because of my compensation, which I'd get no matter how "hard" I worked, but because my honor requires it of me.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:34 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,251,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Here's some serious advice for you. Go get some counselling as soon as possibile.
You really might want to go and look at other posts he has made.

These here are "mild" by comparison.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:35 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,619,989 times
Quote:
I didn't say she had it coming--but those who stood by and did absolutely nothing are not accountable or responsible. The ones who committed the crime are. Those who took pictures of it are. Those who "cheered" the other on are.
Have you , or have you not, stated that those who are unable to defend themselves ,with their natural equipment, deserve what they get? I seem to remember a quite lively discussion along these lines.. Fact, this girl was unable to defend herself, multiple attackers, far stronger than she. Fact, she needed help. Fact, she DESERVED help. Fact, nobody would help her, because they were cowards, who either found her plight entertaining, on some sick level, or just flat felt it was 'none of their business' because they did not know her or whatever other pathetic excuse they needed to justify themselves.
Someone who can saunter on by, or just look on as something like this is happening is not deserving of anything but utter contempt. Cowardice is a trait I find to be amongst the most disgusting of traits that humans are capable of. This incident is a festering wound. Yes, these bystanders ARE accountable, and responsible. Perhaps not in a court of law, but that is not the final deciding factor here. I, personally, would rather have died trying to help this girl,than deal with the ramifications of having done NOTHING, and hiding behind not being legally required to assist someone in such dire need. The disgust I would have for myself for acting this way would be enough to make me want to swallow my gun, let alone what my peers would think of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies