Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 02:17 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,918,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
How horrible. I wonder where this was in relation to the actual dance...I know at my high school teachers and security were constantly patrolling the parking lots and nearby areas. I can't even fathom how a person could watch this happen and do nothing
This was my thought as well. At my venue we have officers or at the minimum security officers not only doing internal patrols but external patrols that includes the parking lots. The school as well as the bystanders should be held accountable. I just don't know what would possess someone to stand by and allow this to happen. I am not sure of the laws pertaining to bystanders but I hope they ALL get into loads of trouble.

I think liberals and conservatives can find common ground on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 02:17 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
One more thing...

Before those who are already trying to label me as some nutcase who's defending the bystanders get too far out of whack, I should make something perfectly clear.

I AM NOT defending the rapists; nor am I defending the bystanders' inaction. Obviously, the rapists deserve the full weight of the law being dropped on them (or worse). I don't know if the bystanders can be charged with any type of crime, such as accessory, but if they can, it should be done, and the maximum penalties imposed.

If I were one of those bystanders, I would have intervened. I hope I didn't give anybody the impression that I would have done nothing, simply because I'm against using the force of law to require people to get involved when a crime is being committed. I believe people should help others. I just don't believe that the government has the authority to require it.

Hopefully that cleared some things up.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:18 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,302,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Really? He defended the rapists, he condoned the actions of the bystanders? I don't see that.
Really, is that what I stated in my original quote? He did say the bystanders should not be prosecuted which they clearly should since they were guilty and accessory to rape. Arguing these people shouldn't be prosecuted is assinine.

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
My point was simply that "good samaritan" laws have no place in a free society. The government using the force of law to require me to endanger my life or safety is not living in a free country, no matter how you try to spin it.
Wow, so when you are lying on the side of the freeway dying, you would rather an MD or RN drive by than stop and help. Without Good Samaritan laws people would not stop and help with the epidemic of law suits these days. I did stop and help a kid after a motorcycle accident just recently. Took the ambulance another 20 minutes to get there, and I absolutely saved his life, and would do it again. I happen to be an RN, but if you have a brain, and a phone you can help without getting your brain or your misguided political convictions dirty. To hear people say it's "not their responsibility", or they "don't want to get involved" really sickens me. I can somewhat understand that coming from a kid that must exist in that anti-snitching environment after the fact, but seriously, particularly from grown men and women. Shame on you. That was someone's daughter, and she could just as easily have been yours. Not directed at you Swagger, just venting!

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Oh please. They were watching the assault for two hours. That has nothing to do with being afraid of retaliation. They could have left. Did they? No. Not saying they should have left, but your point makes no sense.
Sure, common sense dictates that they were not fearful and were observational participants. That however is difficult to argue even when it seems reasonable to suspect such. The point is often that the case of such a prosecution would be extremely weakly argued and the penalty for such a crime if proven would still only be a misdemeanor and not a felony. The result is like in many cases that it is a waste of resources to prosecute being the success of the case is highly unlikely.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:19 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,326,750 times
I'm surprised the event wasn't filmed for use in the next "civics" class.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:21 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,868,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
^ Spoken by someone who's never seen deadly retaliation...
You missed my point. Read it again. They did not even LEAVE. They must have liked watching it. That has nothing to do with your retaliation theory.
Leaving the scene does not mean you will fear retaliation....
Man, I really hope there are more people with moral courage out there. Got huge doubts when I'm reading all this

10,719 posts, read 20,302,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
No, you can't compare a riot with this. They can't stop a riot by calling the police. But they could have stopped this by calling the police.
Exactly, there were 15 people who stood by and observed a 2 hour rape. That is different than a riot. One of those people could have left the scene and notified the police. These bystanders committed a crime and were accessory to rape. The fact that some people don't understand this concept is a fine example of Social Darwinism.

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Right.

Watch how some conservatives will say she asked for it and then say she must continue with the pregnancy if she is indeed pregnant.

The people who stood by and watched should be punished as severely as the people who did the actual act.

There is NO EXCUSE for this.
you said in one thread your parents taught you to obey but did they teach you not to hate. Anyone, who would make a statement that the conservatives would say she asked for something like this has a lot of hatred in them. No conservative would say something or think something like that, anymore than a liberal would. What happened is awful and no human would ever think otherwise. Are you saying conservatives are not human? i can't believe anyone would hold feelings like you are right now...

As a conservative I take remarks like you made as a direct insult and uncalled for.

Nita

8,289 posts, read 13,568,938 times
just watching this on the news! nobody stopped this???Is this even a true story?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies