Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 02:09 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,868,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
well people have friends so I could see being a little afraid because it's doubtful that no one will ever find out who told. Plus the "no snitching" movement is big in high schools; it was around when I was in high school but they've taken it to a whole nother level
Maybe it's just me, but I CERTAINLY would do something... rather than watching them almost killing someone.

Btw, there's nothing they can do. The bystanders have nothing to be afraid of according to CNN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 02:10 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,589,909 times
This is disgusting. I am sick of hearing stories like this. This poor girl and her family have had their lives destroyed.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:11 PM

89,059 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
What the hell? Calling 911 or a teacher is "endangering your life"?
It could be. Retaliation is a deadly serious factor that has to be taken into consideration.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:12 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,304,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
those 2 issues are apples and bananas. Should the on lookers be arrested? i don't really know. We see too much of this. What about during riots, should all the on lookers be arrested? You would have the jails full in about 30 minutes and the charges would never stand up in court for a second. It is discusting when something like this happens? Of course it is.

BTW, the hotel manager is a racist, regardless of what he says, but that has nothing to do with this situation..

Nita
That wasn't my point. I wasn't trying to show how those two events were related. I'm just exemplifying the lack of logic regardless of the event. The fact that someone can't recognize that FORCING an employee to change his or her Hispanic name to appeal to White consumers is racist is illogical. Likewise, stating that 15 people (not a riot) observing a 2 hour rape and not notifying the authorities are not guilty is similarly illogical. They have committed a crime. It's called accessory to rape. Likewise, some fool will argue these bystanders are not responsible.

And just to let you know, I am a Republican and conservative. However, there is a difference between being conservative and being a wing nut. The wing nuts are illogical ie Obama is a racist and will stoop to any means to argue an illogical point. Likewise, we are already seeing that in this thread, read the quote below

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorock99 View Post
Camping under this same logic which many on this board support then we are all guilty of being idle by-standards participating in immoral unlawful behavior and we should all be put in jail. What's the difference in being a by-stander? This is a horrific act to watch and I agree with the majority of the forum. However, it is interesting to read the basis of jail and imprisonment should be considered for condoning immoral behavior in silence.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:13 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,382,040 times
Quote:
Maybe it's just me, but I CERTAINLY would do something... rather than watching them almost killing someone.

Btw, there's nothing they can do. The bystanders have nothing to be afraid of according to CNN.
I would have too but I was one of the bullies in my high school so I wouldn't have worried to much about retaliation.

You know I don’t care how the school spins this as “we’re not responsible once they leave the dance†they should have had security walking the campus the entire time and no one should have left until the campus had been thoroughly swept. My mom volunteered at the band dance my freshman year – maybe 250-300 kids – and it took them an hour to walk the campus and make sure that no one was lurking on school grounds once the dance was over. This was just sloppy organization on the schools part.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:14 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,957,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It's clearly a crime. Ever heard of accessory to rape. If they were watching the crime and not notifying the authorities, they can be charged.
Accessory is described generally as after or before the fact in describing prior knowledge of the incident to which the person aided and abetted another who committed the crime.

Bystanders are a special case and the issue of bystanders not helping another isn't new to law enforcement. It is quite a common occurrence even in past history.

They can not be charged with a crime unless they aided those committing the crime or interfered with the police or another reporting it.

Some states have special case laws for this, but it is dependent on each state. Basically, a person can not be charged with failure to help another when that action may endanger their own life in doing so.

The tricky issue is those not reporting such an incident in progress and to be honest, this is very difficult to prove in a court of law as the defense for ones "fear for life" is subjectively argued.

Those states that do have such laws though have it as a misdemeanor and my guess is that prosecutions for such would be dropped due to weak evidence.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It could be. Retaliation is a deadly serious factor that has to be taken into consideration.

Oh please. They were watching the assault for two hours. That has nothing to do with being afraid of retaliation. They could have left. Did they? No. Not saying they should have left, but your point makes no sense.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:15 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Well, what kind of example is that? You're telling me the police would not know of a riot?
They are probably already there.... No nooed to call anybody.

And no, he's not.
you totally missed the point, it is a matter of when you can arrest someone and make it stick. I was giving the riot as an example. Of course the police would know of a real riot....

Nita

Old 10-27-2009, 02:16 PM

89,059 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Oh please. They were watching the assault for two hours. That has nothing to do with retaliation. They could have left. Did they? No. Not saying they should have left, but your point makes no sense.
^ Spoken by someone who's never seen deadly retaliation...

"Investigators said one of the teens doused Brewer with rubbing alcohol and Mendez flicked a lighter at him in retaliation for reporting an attempted bicycle theft Sunday night."
5 Teens Arrested After Boy Set On Fire - West Palm Beach News Story - WPBF West Palm Beach (http://www.wpbf.com/news/21280861/detail.html - broken link)

That... for reporting an attempted bicycle theft.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you totally missed the point, it is a matter of when you can arrest someone and make it stick. I was giving the riot as an example. Of course the police would know of a real riot....

Nita

No, you can't compare a riot with this. They can't stop a riot by calling the police. But they could have stopped this by calling the police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies