Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 01:43 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Right.

Watch how some conservatives will say she asked for it and then say she must continue with the pregnancy if she is indeed pregnant.

The people who stood by and watched should be punished as severely as the people who did the actual act.

There is NO EXCUSE for this.
I agree, there is no excuse for your kind of posting.

I don't know anyone, conservative or liberal, who would think as you suggest. The fact that you are even bringing it up in such a manner suggests that you care more about promoting your political ideology than the reality that any reasonable person would condemn the actions of these disgusting rapists as well as the bystanders and have empathy/sympathy for the victim. You won't find any conservatives defending them and there is no excuse for suggesting such. Take your politically pandering posts somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 01:43 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorock99 View Post
Camping under this same logic which many on this board support then we are all guilty of being idle by-standards participating in immoral unlawful behavior and we should all be put in jail.

I'd make the argument these by-standards behavior is no more distasteful or intolerable than the person who allows another human being to be harassed at work, because of their gender, political affiliation, sexuality, race, or religious preference.

What's the difference in being a by-standard?

This is a horrific act to watch and I agree with the majority of the forum. However, it is interesting to read the basis of jail and imprisonment should be considered for condoning immoral behavior in silence. Basically everyone in this case believes that by silently condoning immoral behavior, they are against moral behavior, so this is perfect justification for imprisonment. The simple crime committed was those "good men/women" remained silent in the face of immoral "evil" behavior. If this logic is applied to all aspects of our lives than there are not enough jails to house the population. The entire world population is guilty of immoral behavior towards other human beings and by your logic since many remain silent they are condoning such horrible behavior. Since they are condoning through silence such horrible behavior they should be jailed. Just a heads up If you cannot see the simple point I'm making without attempting to accusing me of supporting such a horrible act then you'll just never get it!

Another thread that seeks to punish those we disagree through hypocrisy. This has nothing to do with the story only how I'm interpreting many of your responses and justification for punishment to the story.

Climb off the soapbox and back away from the metaphors....

Look, the difference between watching a girl get gang raped and not telling your boss to shove it when he makes an un PC remark should be clear. In the first case someone was being brutalized and was in fact hospitlized in critical condition. The bystanders had a moral and legal responsibility to either stop the attack themselves or contact help. I can give them a pass for being afraid to get physically involved, but there was no excuse for not calling 911 (you know most if not all those b*tards have cell phones) or at least notifying a teacher at the dance.
And yeah, being verbally bullied by a boss or a co worker or a neighbor sucks but it does not put the victim in immediate physical danger, does it? Certainly not like getting ganged raped in front of a cheering crowd. And if you cannot or will not get the difference then either you are too wedded to philosophy that has no relation to the 'real world' or you are just trolling.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:44 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Just wait, we will have a host of wing nuts argue these bystanders shouldn't be punished. It's the same type of people who argue the hotel manager isn't racist for forcing his Hispanic employees to change their names.
Comments like these illustrate the idiocy of the constituency that put Barack Obama in office.

Willing spectators should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law in my opinion.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:46 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I just don't get kids....I think one of the main problems is that kids aren't afraid of anything anymore. They have these parents that take up for them even when they know they're wrong, the same parents who don't demand their kids respect them or anyone else and then they set these kids loose on the world.

Things like this just can't keep happening...kids should be safe at school.
That is exactly the problem. I was raised to respect and obey my parents. Even now (as an adult) I fear not obeying them.

The result? My college professors now state that I was raised well and respectful. Many of my friends parents want me to be around their child more. I hardly swear and am excelling in school versus video games. I work and am saving money unlike many people my age.

Kids should be safe at school. No doubt about it. This thing does make me kinda scared about being a high school teacher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Is there someone here who is more right leaning than I am? I want to see him/her. Now let me say that this act was one of the worst things I have heard about and from the bystanders as well as the perps. I know that when I was in highschool very few boys would have stood around watching something like this. However I graduated 59 years ago and things have changed drastically since then. I can promise you that 15 wouldn't have stood around, probably getting their jolies, watching 4 do that.

We have created these animals all by ourselves. They get trophies for getting 12th in a competition out of 12. They can't be physically punished for anything as we were when I was a kid. I knew I was going to get spanked at home if I got it in school and much worse. We have created a whole generation of "ME" only people and there were 15 of them watching 4 of them with no thoughts for the girl.

Ok, this conservative wants to punish all 19 of those boys. Maybe letting her mother or father use a paddle made for that purpose on them. It is time to get back to those days of punishment when it is called for.
I agree. 100 percent with you here. For once!

I think there should be paddling in schools. No doubt about it. You graduated from high school 59 years ago? I graduated 3 years ago and I will tell you that I have never seen kids so disrespectful.

I am going for teaching. Two years ago, I went to student teach at my old elementary school. I could NOT BELIEVE for the LIFE of me what these fifth and sixth graders were talking about.

"Yeah..she was so good in bed. Mmm....you on weed?"

I did not even know what sex was until grade six/seven!!

I used to get smacked if I told my parents shut up. That was the only time I said it at the age of ten. Students today have no respect for the professors or teachers. They just think that teachers/professors are getting in the way of partying or doing nothing.

Where is the need to study? Where is the need to get up and MAKE YOUR LIFE? I have been working since I was fifteen unlike many people my age.

This liberal wants her successful teaching career.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:47 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I don't know if there is a crime that they can charge the bystanders with - but clearly what they did (nothing) was immoral and shows a complete lack of human empathy. In my opinion, the bystanders and the rapists are less then human scum. Their names and faces ought to be shown so that the potential employers/coworkers/neighbors can know that these are 'people' not to be trusted.

And yes, they are 'teens'. So what? This isn't burglary and this isn't a case of smoking weed in the parking lot. This is a case of callousness and there is no 'maturing' that away.
It's clearly a crime. Ever heard of accessory to rape. If they were watching the crime and not notifying the authorities, they can be charged.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:50 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Can we not make this into another liberal/conservative bashing thread?

Anyway, one of the things I've noticed is that in almost every article the police officer is saying the girl willingly went with them because she knew one of the guys...I'm not saying in ANY way that she deserved this but people have to speak to their kids, epsecially their daughters about choices and placing yourself in a dangerous situations.

Quote:
According to news reports, the girl left the high school's homecoming dance alone around 9:30 p.m. Saturday to get a ride home with her dad.

Instead, she met up with a group of people who were drinking on the edge of campus.
I wonder how long her dad waited around before they started searching for her.

High School Gang Rape Stuns California Community - ABC News

Old 10-27-2009, 01:51 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Climb off the soapbox and back away from the metaphors....

Look, the difference between watching a girl get gang raped and not telling your boss to shove it when he makes an un PC remark should be clear. In the first case someone was being brutalized and was in fact hospitlized in critical condition. The bystanders had a moral and legal responsibility to either stop the attack themselves or contact help. I can give them a pass for being afraid to get physically involved, but there was no excuse for not calling 911 (you know most if not all those b*tards have cell phones) or at least notifying a teacher at the dance.
And yeah, being verbally bullied by a boss or a co worker or a neighbor sucks but it does not put the victim in immediate physical danger, does it? Certainly not like getting ganged raped in front of a cheering crowd. And if you cannot or will not get the difference then either you are too wedded to philosophy that has no relation to the 'real world' or you are just trolling.
Agreed. I think most people, as human beings not as political beings, are horrified by the actions of both the rapists and the spectators. I'm a little concerned about anyone who isn't. Sometimes we really just need to put the politics down for a few minutes......

Old 10-27-2009, 01:51 PM

23,850 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Just wait, we will have a host of wing nuts argue these bystanders shouldn't be punished.
I'm against all "good samaritan" laws - I don't think the bystanders should be legally liable for anything in this case. Nobody should have any legal obligation to endanger their life or safety to help another.

That said, I wouldn't have any problem whatsoever with the father of the girl finding out who every one of them was and "paying them a visit." The "bystanders" are - without a doubt - the lowest of the low, second only to the slimeballs who participated in the act. Everybody there deserves, at minimum, a very good beating. The participants should get life - or the removal of same.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:55 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I'm against all "good samaritan" laws.
Why?

Old 10-27-2009, 01:57 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,863,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I'm against all "good samaritan" laws - I don't think the bystanders should be legally liable for anything in this case. Nobody should have any legal obligation to endanger their life or safety to help another.

That said, I wouldn't have any problem whatsoever with the father of the girl finding out who every one of them was and "paying them a visit." The "bystanders" are - without a doubt - the lowest of the low, second only to the slimeballs who participated in the act. Everybody there deserves, at minimum, a very good beating. The participants should get life - or the removal of same.

What the hell? Calling 911 or a teacher is "endangering your life"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies