Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 02:01 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,576,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
What the hell? Calling 911 or a teacher is "endangering your life"?
I agree. That is extreme HOWEVER, as someone who just graduated from high school three years ago, I know how some may feel retaliation.

It does happen. I am NOT saying it is excusable. It is not at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 02:02 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Just wait, we will have a host of wing nuts argue these bystanders shouldn't be punished. It's the same type of people who argue the hotel manager isn't racist for forcing his Hispanic employees to change their names.
those 2 issues are apples and bananas. Should the on lookers be arrested? i don't really know. We see too much of this. What about during riots, should all the on lookers be arrested? You would have the jails full in about 30 minutes and the charges would never stand up in court for a second. It is discusting when something like this happens? Of course it is.

BTW, the hotel manager is a racist, regardless of what he says, but that has nothing to do with this situation..

Nita

Old 10-27-2009, 02:03 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,868,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I agree. That is extreme HOWEVER, as someone who just graduated from high school three years ago, I know how some may feel retaliation.

It does happen. I am NOT saying it is excusable. It is not at all.
Why would they fear that? First of all, I don't think they would release your name if you asked them not too. Aslo, you can be sure they will spend some years behind bars ( at least I hope ).

Old 10-27-2009, 02:04 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I don't know if there is a crime that they can charge the bystanders with - but clearly what they did (nothing) was immoral and shows a complete lack of human empathy. In my opinion, the bystanders and the rapists are less then human scum. Their names and faces ought to be shown so that the potential employers/coworkers/neighbors can know that these are 'people' not to be trusted.

And yes, they are 'teens'. So what? This isn't burglary and this isn't a case of smoking weed in the parking lot. This is a case of callousness and there is no 'maturing' that away.
I share your view: that is what I was saying, I don't think there is any way to arrest these kids, it would never stand up in court.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:04 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,868,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
those 2 issues are apples and bananas. Should the on lookers be arrested? i don't really know. We see too much of this. What about during riots, should all the on lookers be arrested? You would have the jails full in about 30 minutes and the charges would never stand up in court for a second. It is discusting when something like this happens? Of course it is.

BTW, the hotel manager is a racist, regardless of what he says, but that has nothing to do with this situation..

Nita
Well, what kind of example is that? You're telling me the police would not know of a riot?
They are probably already there.... No nooed to call anybody.

And no, he's not.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:06 PM

403 posts, read 535,074 times
going to prison & feeling guilty is way too good of a punishment for them. thats like a slap on the wrist compared to what i'd do to them INCLUDING the bystanders.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:06 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,380,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XodoX View Post
Why would they fear that? First of all, I don't think they would release your name if you asked them not too. Aslo, you can be sure they will spend some years behind bars ( at least I hope ).
well people have friends so I could see being a little afraid because it's doubtful that no one will ever find out who told. Plus the "no snitching" movement is big in high schools; it was around when I was in high school but they've taken it to a whole nother level

Old 10-27-2009, 02:07 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,065,142 times
Quote:
And you are not aware of the reality facing your constituency. Look at Swagger's post above. You were just proven wrong
Really? He defended the rapists, he condoned the actions of the bystanders? I don't see that.

And I don't disagree with this:
Quote:
Nobody should have any legal obligation to endanger their life or safety to help another.
However, There was no danger in calling the police or alerting on-site security. I don't necessarily fault them for not directly intervening, unless the rapists had guns I don't see why they couldn't have. In this case the observers became participants on some level.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:07 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,576,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
well people have friends so I could see being a little afraid because it's doubtful that no one will ever find out who told. Plus the "no snitching" movement is big in high schools; it was around when I was in high school but they've taken it to a whole nother level
Exactly.

Kids are like rats. They somehow know everything. It is crazy.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:08 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Quote:
AeroguyDC

LOL...see I told you, it was just a matter of time before one of them confirmed my belief. One of your people spoke!
First of all, I'm not one of "AeroguyDC's people" any more than you're one of "MovingForward's people."

Look, if there are laws on the books that these people were in violation of (and there very well could be), then lock 'em up! If they were breaking the law, prosecute them!

My point was simply that "good samaritan" laws have no place in a free society. The government using the force of law to require me to endanger my life or safety is not living in a free country, no matter how you try to spin it.

We can't let a single incident induce knee-jerk legislation, regardless of how horrible or revolting the incident is. We're a country of over 300 million people, and sometimes bad things - very bad things - happen. If we wrote a law every time they did, you wouldn't be able to pinch a loaf without permission from The State.

As for your statements, it's clear that you're not looking for any rational, intelligent discussion about the specific subject I mentioned. You just want to bash "conservatives". Ok. Whatever. If that's how you get your jollies, more power to you. Just don't expect people to take you too seriously when you want to actually discuss something in a reasonable fashion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies