Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2009, 09:28 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,214,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
CDC - Seasonal Influenza (Flu) - Q & A: Questions and Answers Regarding Estimating Deaths from Influenza in the United States

(Mods please note, this is from a govt site, not a copyrighted site.)

CDC H1N1 Flu | Situation Update

Almost all of the influenza viruses identified so far are 2009 H1N1 influenza A viruses.

One source I read said 99%.

CDC: 99 Percent Of Current Flu Cases Could Be H1N1 - Health News Story - WLKY Louisville (http://www.wlky.com/health/21117396/detail.html - broken link)

The CDC and local officials said possibly 99 percent of the cases of flu like symptoms are not seasonal flu, it's the H1N1 virus.

Yes, your statistics are correct, but........ The flu that is going around this year is H1N1, not "seasonal". Our office has seen one case of influenza B in all the kids we have tested. One. In a sense, H1N1 IS the seasonal flu this year. If it had appeared earlier, it would be in the vaccine.

Perhaps you should ask your girlfriend how much she knows about epidemiology.

Would you like to hear my opinions about nuclear physics? After all, my husband is a PhD physicist and we have been married 29 years. He has just osmosed the information into my brian.

Back OT, you could come to work with flu, give it to a coworker whose kid could die from it. Those 1000 people who had "laughable" deaths are still dead.

When your statistics state cases 'could be' H1N1, it is hard to take them seriously, isn't it?

1000 deaths is a serious thing, I am just saying more people die from crashes driving to work than have died from H1N1. Are you denying this fact?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 09:33 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,169,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No, it is not better to infect your co-workers. Someone could die from your spreading infection like that. Stay home, work from home if you can when you're ill, if you really want to work all that badly.
Wouldnt that be a positive? You show up for work sick spreading your infections and killing off your co-workers, the very same ones that would compete against you for any open positions in the company to advance?

Thats one way to advance I guess.. kill your co-workers and do it thorugh a virus so it cant be traced back to you..

Old 10-30-2009, 09:34 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,169,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
When your statistics state cases 'could be' H1N1, it is hard to take them seriously, isn't it?

1000 deaths is a serious thing, I am just saying more people die from crashes driving to work than have died from H1N1. Are you denying this fact?
this is like the statistics for deaths in the war. they are only important to count when the opposite party hold the White House.. When your party takes control then they just become "normal" casulties..

Old 10-30-2009, 10:12 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,806,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
As I watch certain fellow employees get a virtual extra week of vacation every year by calling in sick, I am more and more beginning to think that company "sick pay" is a bad idea.
What would you do if you hired somebody- let's say a painter to paint your house. He says he will paint it Monday but then he calls you on Sunday and says he won't be able to come tomorrow because he is sick. But then on Tuesday he shows up demanding that you pay him.
Paying employees for being ill is pretty much the same thing in my view. A business pays people to work and not to be ill. Now, have I taken it myself? Yes. 3 days in the last 15 years. Once for a toothache and emergency dental appointment to stop the pain and once for the flu.
But others seem to have the idea that sick pay is like "extra vacation" time. They take it every year. If I ran a business, there would be no "sick pay". If you were sick, your options would be:

1. Use your vacation days
2. You can elect to put 1 hour of pay each 2 weeks into a "sick account" that will give you about 3 days every year in an account you can draw from if you are sick. You can save as many days as you wish and if you don't use them, you will get the money back when you leave or retire.
3. You can elect to purchase "sick insurance" that will pay you when you are ill and cannot work.
If you ran a business I suspect you'd be the only employee.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:28 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,686,882 times
If I ran a business, I would be.

I'm the only person I can honestly trust to do the job right.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:15 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,034,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
They still haven't replaced the guy with the bad knees--they're not going to hire someone new just for the time I'm on vacation.
What would you do when age sets in and you are no longer able to meet the physical demands of freight loading?

Old 10-30-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Please stop avoiding pertinant questions. Also, you do realize regular stains of influenza still exist, don't you? H1N1 isn't 'the flu we have right now'. I feel I know a few things about medicine, as I have quizzed someone on various medical topics at least 6 days a week for the last 18 months.

I will say it again, 1000 deaths total is a very small number.
Statistically speaking, it is a small number. It isn't so small when you or your loved ones becomes part of that "small" statistic.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:35 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,686,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
What would you do when age sets in and you are no longer able to meet the physical demands of freight loading?
There is no purpose to life outside of work.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:41 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,576,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post

I invented Post-its.
You are such a liar, Romy & Michelle invented post-its.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
There is no purpose to life outside of work.
That's a sad view on life if your only purpose is working like a slave for your master.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies