Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 02:48 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,547,446 times

Advertisements

I work at a hospital. Our policy is they encourage you to stay home if you're sick. A day or two of rest will allow you to heal faster and come to work healthier than you "toughing it out" and coming to work while sick and spreading your sickness to your fellow co-workers and patients whose immune systems are already weakened. I called in sick recently because of lower back strain. They understood that it's better to rest and come back healthy than to return to work, risk injuring the back, and have it charged to company workman's comp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 02:56 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,404,948 times
You can fix it one of two ways:

1. Just call any sanctioned day off "PTO." Paid time off. Bank of days you can use for anything - vacation, sick days, doctors' appointments, kids are sick, etc. Go beyond that and you don't get paid for that day at all. Lots of companies using this.

2. A better idea, in my opinion, is for everyone to be paid for performance/productivity. No show = no pay. Even if you do show up, your pay is directly tied to how much work you do. Paying people straight salary or straight hourly is lame because some people always work harder than others and there's no incentive for the lazies to get going.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:02 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,547,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You can fix it one of two ways:

1. Just call any sanctioned day off "PTO." Paid time off. Bank of days you can use for anything - vacation, sick days, doctors' appointments, kids are sick, etc. Go beyond that and you don't get paid for that day at all. Lots of companies using this.

2. A better idea, in my opinion, is for everyone to be paid for performance/productivity. No show = no pay. Even if you do show up, your pay is directly tied to how much work you do. Paying people straight salary or straight hourly is lame because some people always work harder than others and there's no incentive for the lazies to get going.
Your number two idea is subjective depending on the type of job one does. For example, fire fighters sit in the fire station playing cards, working out, cooking, eating, and sleeping. They're there for when there's an emergency. In my line of work, there are times where there's nothing to do. But we must remain on the job because if someone gets trapped in an elevator, we get them out; if the medical gas system fails, we must take corrective action; if the city power goes out, we must ensure the emergency generators are up and running; if something in the hospital breaks, we must try to correct the problem; and if there's a fire, we're the first responders to the fire.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:06 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,243,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
A better idea, in my opinion, is for everyone to be paid for performance/productivity. No show = no pay. Even if you do show up, your pay is directly tied to how much work you do. Paying people straight salary or straight hourly is lame because some people always work harder than others and there's no incentive for the lazies to get going.
This may be true in a collective bargaining environment. But in an at-will employment environment, the lazies have two possible incentives to get going: 1) future prospects for advancement and increased pay, or 2) not wanting to get fired.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:08 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,777,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I suppose the OP thinks they should take vacation days away too....I mean it's not like they are there working.

The American worker is too lazy....They should work harder and longer....LOL

[Unbelievable what right wingers will fall for]
I am pretty far from the right wing. I am pro worker. I just think that if you have a job and you are being paid, you should work for it and give an honest day of labour. Vacation is negotiated between you and the employer. It is an entitlement. Sick pay is for being sick. There are people where I work that abuse it. They are 20 somethings and they are out sick a week every year. The rest of us have to cover them. There are 50 and even 60 somethings that are at work everyday- who you would think would be "sick" more often than the 20 somethings- that are at work everyday.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:11 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,162,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
If this posting was coming from a conservative, the liberal response would be.

You dont want to give poor hard working enslaved workers time off when they get sick? They are sick, how do you expect them to pay their bills? Its not bad enough you conservatives expect people to pay $75 to go see a doctor when they are sick, money out of their own pocket, now you dont want to give them a day off of work either? You mean spirited conservative would rather they just die so you wont have to pay them at all.
Yes.

No matter who the posting came from.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:12 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,777,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The last company I worked for didn't have sick days, they had "personal days" that you could use for anything you wanted, be it illness, jury duty, or you just want to go to a Cubs game that day. That eliminated the moral dilemma about whether or not to take a "sick day" because you just need a break from work for a day or so. It also encouraged people to take all available days instead of using them only when they were sick.
That is a good idea.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:18 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,930,054 times
I just spent 5 days sitting next to a guy who was sick with the flu, but used his sick days to play with his wifey earlier in the summer.

I fully intend to use my sick days whether or not I get sick because I was subjected to 40 hours of listening to this moron couch, sniffle and sneeze........plus the a-hole wouldn't shut his mouth all day long.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:20 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,162,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I am pretty far from the right wing. I am pro worker. I just think that if you have a job and you are being paid, you should work for it and give an honest day of labour. Vacation is negotiated between you and the employer. It is an entitlement. Sick pay is for being sick. There are people where I work that abuse it. They are 20 somethings and they are out sick a week every year. The rest of us have to cover them. There are 50 and even 60 somethings that are at work everyday- who you would think would be "sick" more often than the 20 somethings- that are at work everyday.

It's called earned Paid Time Off.....and a company who didn't offer it wouldn't have anything but the most desperate people.

It is NOT any of your employer's business if you're sick or fishing or getting drunk.

At most places I worked employees were expected to give advance notice of Paid Time Off for scheduling purposes. Too many last minute call ins by an individual and THAT was a problem handled by the supervisor.

Use up your PTO and THEN you didn't get paid.

Very simple.....

Old 10-28-2009, 07:24 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I think the above problem should be addressed in that case. Where I work, spontaneous time off is also a problem due to scheduling. I don't think the solution is to rescind sick time, or require a doctor's excuse for every absence. You don't want people clogging up dr's offices with bad colds and such so they can get an excuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies