Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the homosexual lifestyle be discussed in elementary schools?
Yes 29 30.85%
No 62 65.96%
Not sure 3 3.19%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 05:19 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
#1 You have no idea how I was raised, you're making assumptions.

#2 Just because you choose to love homosexuality doesn't mean I have to.

#3 I don't hate homosexuals they are humans, I hate the act of homosexuality because it's an abnormal sex act.

Ask a question if you want to know an answer don't ASSume.
If you don't hate homosexuals, then obviously you should have no problem with teaching children acceptance of others.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:20 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
A lot of the people who are so outspoken against homosexuality are what were once called "latent homosexuals" who are trying like hell to deny their own orientation.
Really? Do you know "a lot of people" like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
Why shouldn't children know all about sex?

Why not?
(Bolding mine in quote above).

Why should elementary age children know ALL about sex? If you teach them about homosexuality, why not teach them about NAMBLA, and pedophilia as well. And, how about bestiality? Why not throw it all at them at that tender young age. The earlier the better, right?

Why not?

Old 10-30-2009, 05:21 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Like Taxes View Post
Its also abnormal and unnatural to remain celibate for your entire life, such as priests and nuns.

Very high IQs are abnormal, talented musicians are abnormal, great athletic abilities are abnormal, etc.

As for unnatural, homosexuality exists throughout the animal kingdom. In fact, the only people who say it is unnatural are people who subscribe to an unnatural deity.
I agree it is unnatural to be celibate because of your religion. But religion is man made and is full of dogma.

Whether or not homosexuality exists in the animal kingdom or not, infanticide and cannibalism exists in the animal kingdom as well and is considered normal - if a human kills their infant they're carted off to prison, if a human eats another human in our society they're carted off to the loony bin. So if you want to use the animal kingdom as a measure for what should be right or wrong in human beings you need to use another analogy.

1,796 posts, read 1,662,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwflconch View Post
Homosexuals brainwashing our children in elementary schools

Children do not need to be taught about homosexuality, children are in school to learn about math, reading, and writing, not homosexuality.
Did those of you who cared to watch the video notice that this video was shown at a Quaker school in MA? That means it was a private school. And anyway, as someone who is perhaps younger than you, I can assure you that I knew that gay people existed and even knew who a few of them were when I was in third grade. If you don't talk about things to children, don't assume they don't know about them.

In any case, and I've worked with elementary school aged children in tutoring sessions, they'll ask questions if they are confused--as long as you've made a safe space for them and they know you won't freak out on them. Kids are smart, and adults should talk to them about things in an age-appropriate manner. Otherwise, they'll get misinformation from other kids. (You won't believe the inaccurate information I got as a child about the mechanics of sex from my playmates. No wonder I was confused).

And finally, to teach something is not to advocate it. Are math teachers "promoting an algebra agenda?" And what does the phrase "homosexual lifestyle" mean? I know several gay people, and they all live different lifestyles, just like straight people do.

4,803 posts, read 8,750,800 times
My son knows all about human conception as well as what it means to be gay, lesbian, and/or transgendered.

I've also taught him what it means to be compassionate, how to treat EVERYONE in the same manner that he wants to be treated, and to stand up for those who are being bullied.

You can bet that my son isn't the kid on the playground calling other kids "f*gg*t" because he's heard it at home used in a derogatory fashion, yet has no clue as to the actual connotation of the word....

BTW, my parents taught me about sex when I was in the second grade, and all about contraception when I began menstruating.

Guess who didn't end up pregnant having babies while still a baby herself..

Old 10-30-2009, 05:22 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,902,551 times
It depends upon what's being said. Mentioning, defining, in an age appropriate way is different from advocating. People are knee jerkish about things. It isn't a demonstration. Elementary school kids know scads, thanks to TV and the internet, not to mention their little school chummies.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:23 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,426,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Because a child who has not reached the age of puberty doesn't need to know about sexual relations between adults.
Because they don't. Good answer.
Quote:
What would be the purpose of giving them a full menu of sexual perversions before they have reached puberty?
Education about the body. If sex were taken more for granted and not such a big taboo subject, it wouldn't be something people felt the need to rush into to find out what it's about.

Quote:
It's certainly not up to an elementary school to present homosexuality as a valid sexual arrangement
Why not? It is a valid sexual arrangement so why not teach it?
Quote:
- if a parent wants to teach their kids about more than the birds and the bees that's their business. Keep it out of the elementary school.
Most parents are dismal failures at teaching anything about sex.

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
If you don't hate homosexuals, then obviously you should have no problem with teaching children acceptance of others.
My goodness. So, there is no other way to teach children acceptance of others? Amazing.

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
I can accept someone in spite of their sexual orientation as a human being, but I do not accept someone USING their sexual orientation to achieve special privileges because of their sexual orientation.

Your sexual orientation shouldn't matter to me one single bit, why even mention it?

The problem is many can't just be... "Hi, I'm Bob"... It's, "Hi I'm Bob, and I'm gay" tossed around everywhere.

There's still no reason to teach about sexual orientations in Elementary school.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:24 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
The bottom line is there are a group of people in this country who will always find a reason to treat others as less than themselves. For the most part these *******s use the bible to validate their bigotry and narrow mindedness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies