Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the homosexual lifestyle be discussed in elementary schools?
Yes 29 30.85%
No 62 65.96%
Not sure 3 3.19%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 01:41 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Your telling me. I went to bed, couldn't sleep, and found myself drawn back to this conversation. I think both sides of this argument have their good and bad points. Atleast, those who aren't completely closed to the idea of homosexuality all together. I also think talks like this help in more ways than we know. Makes people think about the world and what is necessary to keep our children both safe and aware. Thus far, none of my kids have mentioned any same sex families in their school. But they may be there. And I promise, they will not be left in the dark once the need arises to explain things. Out of respect for you and all others of your orientation. I do believe the prejudice against homosexuals needs to end, and conversations like this are the place to start.
Very kind and thoughtful words. Thank you.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:42 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I think........and I could be wrong...but I think you had a state that allowed women to vote first but we allowed women federally to vote first, you run rings around us when it comes to the Civil Rights movement vs the treatment of Aboriginals and I THINK we decrimalized homosexuality first.......in the early 1970s, South Australia first.

Timeline of LGBT history - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If the US is ahead in dealing with Native Americans, that is a sad state of affairs for both our countries. When I visited Australia a few years back it seemed that a lot of headway was being made to reinstate rights and culture.

I always found it fascinating that two cultures on literally opposite sides of the world could develop so similarly to one another - from the pioneers to the gold rush and cowboys to the subjugation of indigenous peoples to the industrial economy and then a consumer / tech economy.

Though, truth be told, I felt like Australia took the best of Europe and the best of North America and left the rest.

Hopefully we'll be able to move forward together on the oppression of homosexuality. It's only logical that we would start with liberating the obvious differences - gender, race - and then work our way to the more psychological differences, like sexuality.

It's coming. There's really no way to stop the pursuit of freedom once the cry has rung out.

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
According to that, my sex life would be an abomination. They'd burn us all together. I hate missionary, and it's no fun unless she has fun too!
Yeah, no kidding. An abomination for me too please.

9,912 posts, read 13,903,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
So focus on social programs and ignore the fact that they can't read or write. Let them be children. Let them play at recess. Teach them to read and write and do math. Leave the sexual orientation stuff for later years.
Socialization is a big part of primary (elementary school).

Nobody is suggesting that they ignore reading or writing but if you have kids at your school who are different from the other kids then even acknowledging that there are differences can not be a bad thing.

And again I'll say the videos at the start of this thread are NOT teaching the children how to be gay or lesbian. They're not even talking about sexual orientation OR SEX in any shape or form be that homosexual or heterosexual, they are simply acknowledging that some of the students at the school have two mummies or two daddies and that's ok.

What if you're the kid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
The issue is the age of the children being subjected to this program. Once a child's innocence is gone, it's gone. The children in the video appeared to be about eight years of age to me. That is too young for the "science" of adult sexual relationships, be they gay or otherwise. The manipulative, political and self-serving nature of this exercise should be obvious to anyone with the intellectual capacity of a tree squirrel. If you really want heterosexuals to be more accepting of homosexuality, not doing creepy things that involve our young children would be a great way to start. You should realize after the Obama lesson plan uproar, that our children or simply off limits.
Oh give it a rest.

Anita Bryant would be proud of you.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:43 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
According to that, my sex life would be an abomination. They'd burn us all together. I hate missionary, and it's no fun unless she has fun too!
You hate missionary? I find that hard to believe. I'm a girl & I love that position. Am I old-school? God, I'm so embarrassed!

Old 10-31-2009, 01:45 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
You hate missionary? I find that hard to believe. I'm a girl & I love that position. Am I old-school? God, I'm so embarrassed!
Missionary is best if the woman's hips are elevated on a cushion to the height of a man's hips when he's up on his knees.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Ahhh, so it's not illegal anymore? Good to know! I was unaware.
You are now free to go out and have as much oral and anal sex as you want without fear of being arrested.

Of course, those laws were never used against heterosexuals, so you had nothing to worry about. (Yes, I'll always be a little bit bitter about it!)

Old 10-31-2009, 01:46 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Default Hate is not a family value

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Religion doesn't need to be the scapegoat for people who think homosexuality is unnatural.

There is absolutely NO REASON on earth to teach sexuality of ANY kind to children under the age of puberty.
Exactly how do you teach homosexuality?
I'd also like to know how you teach heterosexuality.

People are people; each one is different from the next.
Who is anyone to choose which ones are good and which ones are not?
Why not let everyone know that there's a variety of people in the world and that they're all okay.
It will stop a lot of pain for adolescents; perhaps suicides and murders, too.

Religion is not the scapegoat, it is the culprit.
Those who don't fit into the small worldview of religion are not the enemy. If your religion teaches hatred, then you are part of a hate group.

What if you were a member of a minority who was oppressed, discriminated or killed because of who you are. Would you feel that it was okay for others to treat you that way?

Old 10-31-2009, 01:47 AM

3,923 posts, read 3,647,284 times
Quote:
I won't lie! Anyway is find, but I often find myself "doin like they do on the discovery channel."
Is it still called missionary if the chicks on top. If so, then I guess I do like that. But, I thought it was called something else. Either way, sex is awesome, and we should all quit talking and go have some right now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies