Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 01:08 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
China, Mexico, India, the Middle East.

The government will bring in thousands of cheap doctors -- just like everything else -- they flat out told us we would have to compete with the third world and so we are.
Those countries resent the raiding of their medical people- which is why the USA quit shipping in so many Phillipino nurses and Canada has cut back on Indian MDs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 01:11 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
I personally would like to see medical school subsidized, like it is in many other countries.

Under a single payer system, the income disparities between specialties and primary care physicians would shrink.

If we can't get all of medical school subsidized, I would settle for subsidizing the education of primary care physicians and the government helping them with the rent of their practice, hiring staff, etc.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:12 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,018,732 times
Is there a real need for more medical schools? By that I mean, are there qualified applicants who cannot attend med school because there are no openings? The nursing shortage is, in part, caused by too little faculty. As a result, many schools have far more applicants for the nursing program than they can handle. I hadn't heard that this was an issue with medical schools as well.

I agree that we'll be looking at a shortage of docs. In Maine, especially northern Maine, many come in on visas, especially from India/Pakistan. We've also started to see some primary docs accept cash only, or no Mainecare patients.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyJersey View Post
Is there a real need for more medical schools? By that I mean, are there qualified applicants who cannot attend med school because there are no openings? The nursing shortage is, in part, caused by too little faculty. As a result, many schools have far more applicants for the nursing program than they can handle. I hadn't heard that this was an issue with medical schools as well.

I agree that we'll be looking at a shortage of docs. In Maine, especially northern Maine, many come in on visas, especially from India/Pakistan. We've also started to see some primary docs accept cash only, or no Mainecare patients.
It's possible. Lots of medical schools have to limit their class size because they have to keep the ratio of faculty:students low to ensure quality.

They want to increase the amount of students they can accept BUT they have to also ensure quality at the same time, which means they need small class sizes.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:18 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
I do believe that the Dr. shortage will impact the public acceptance of the health care reform measures once they become law. When people have to get insurance and start calling around for a PCP and find they can't get one there could be a major public backlash. Right now finding a PCP if you're new to the system is like trying to find a good, honest mechanic. Imagine the crush after the reforms become law.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:22 PM

1,224 posts, read 1,287,005 times
People may be surprised when their PCP refuses to participate in the government-run program where payments to providers may well be based upon Medicare fees.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I do believe that the Dr. shortage will impact the public acceptance of the health care reform measures once they become law. When people have to get insurance and start calling around for a PCP and find they can't get one there could be a major public backlash. Right now finding a PCP if you're new to the system is like trying to find a good, honest mechanic. Imagine the crush after the reforms become law.
Of course it would have been nice if those in Washington could have thought of this before they started introducing these bills.

I think there will be a large amount of people wanting to see a doctor in the beginning but I think it will begin to taper off.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:26 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I think if UHC goes through, you'll see an even greater shortage of doctors.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:27 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
People may be surprised when their PCP refuses to participate in the government-run program where payments to providers may well be based upon Medicare fees.
And that, too. People are already refusing medicare and medicaid.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
Some may also be surprised when their doctor refuses to take them because they don't like the private insurance company they chose.

A lot of doctors hate having to fight with insurance companies.
Thus the reason I'm sure some doctors have stopped taking patients with insurance and started taking cash-only patients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies