Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 08:12 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,582,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I don't particularly care for cats. Kittens can be entertaining but cats are just plain annoying. They stink up the house and tear up the furniture. That's why I don't have a cat. Though I dislike them, they're still living, breathing, thinking creatures and when mutilated to save a piece of furniture I wonder who the animal is.

Folks this is a living creature, not a toy to be modified to suit your needs or discarded when they become inconvenient. Cats do what they do and if you can't afford a new couch after they rip it up, you can't afford a cat either. Claws and cats sort of go together. It's their only viable means of self defense as well as their only hunting weapon. Cats, unlike dogs and humans, are not omnivores. They are carnivores. If you take away a predatory animal's weapons you have a rabbit. If you want something that doesn't scratch, a rabbit is also furry and stinks up the place as well as any cat.

The law is moot since the SF Bay area is a rather large metro and options are always just a few minutes away but of all the screwball laws coming up in SF, this is one I happen to agree with.
Oh rabbits can scratch too, believe me. I had rabbits growing up. They also chew on wires! But they're so dang cute!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 08:18 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,297,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDaysCopenhagenSkoal View Post
That's strange, I know someone else who says the same thing.

Maybe I am lucky.

My ex-girlfriend (who's a hoe - but that's another story) left town, and took everything but her cat. She said that she didn't have room in her car, but that's BS.

This cat is so clean, she keeps herself so well groomed, she NEVER smells and NEVER stinks up the place. She's very respectiful of my furniture, and other than a rug that she scratches, she doesn't touch anything else.

She never smells!

And her litter box is totally organized. You never noticed that she has done anything, her clean up is impeccable.

She also has about or 20 or so recognizable meows that I can understand, and many more that I discover that I don't understand.

Am I lucky to have a cat like this, or are most cats like mine?
I think most are more like yours than like the monsters some people describe.

Mine are clean, don't scratch the furniture (trained), scratch the rugs, which is okay with me. Their litter is Feline Pine, which is the best for taking care of odors - to the point that, when we had visitors and FOUR cats, the visitors were shocked to discover that they could not tell we had cats, but for the cat tree, toys, and food. No smell.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I think most are more like yours than like the monsters some people describe.

Mine are clean, don't scratch the furniture (trained), scratch the rugs, which is okay with me. Their litter is Feline Pine, which is the best for taking care of odors - to the point that, when we had visitors and FOUR cats, the visitors were shocked to discover that they could not tell we had cats, but for the cat tree, toys, and food. No smell.
I've never heard of this pine smelling litter. Is it clumpable? (is that even spelled correctly?)

Old 11-04-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I've never heard of this pine smelling litter. Is it clumpable? (is that even spelled correctly?)
It's actually made of pine, and they do make a clumping version. My Fry's (Kroger) also carries a granulated clumping pine litter, which we like better than the powdery version that Feline Pine makes. Here's their website:

Feline Pine, America's best-selling all natural cat litter.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
It's actually made of pine, and they do make a clumping version. My Fry's (Kroger) also carries a granulated clumping pine litter, which we like better than the powdery version that Feline Pine makes. Here's their website:

Feline Pine, America's best-selling all natural cat litter.
Thank you for the link. They don't have prices, do you happen to remember what the price is for a bag?

Old 11-04-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the link. They don't have prices, do you happen to remember what the price is for a bag?
If I remember correctly, it was $10.99 for a 20 pound bag at Petsmart, on sale. The clumping is around $6, I think. They have their own brand of pine litter, too, but I didn't see it at our Petsmart. The extruded pellets are good, if your cat doesn't mind them; ours don't. When the pellets get wet, they turn to pine powder, which you can then remove.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
If I remember correctly, it was $10.99 for a 20 pound bag at Petsmart, on sale. The clumping is around $6, I think. They have their own brand of pine litter, too, but I didn't see it at our Petsmart. The extruded pellets are good, if your cat doesn't mind them; ours don't. When the pellets get wet, they turn to pine powder, which you can then remove.
Thank you! I'll look into that.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Thank you! I'll look into that.
Anytime. Let me know how it works for you.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:14 AM

37,155 posts, read 42,282,757 times
I declawed in the past, thinking it was the best thing to do. But I was wrong and I will never do it to a cat again.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:22 AM

5,193 posts, read 5,774,275 times
When I took one of my cats to the vet, a woman came into have a cat to get its annual shots and be declawed. I really bit my tongue on that one because I REALLY wanted to tell and ask the woman why are you doing that - it's the equivalent of cutting off the 2 outer joints of our fingers. POOR CAT - it was sedated in the back when I came to pickup my cat. One of my cats was declawed when I adopted her as a kitten of ONLY 4 months - unbelievable that people would declaw a kitten - all it takes is a scratching post and a little training.

I applaud SF on this one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies