Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2009, 08:44 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times

Advertisements

I am sure most parents who find out their daughter is a lesbian feel like they have been run over by a semi. Most parents want their kids to turn out like them so it is a shock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 09:01 PM

613 posts, read 1,054,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
just b/c this vote went down the way it did does NOT mean that
2010 will be a conservative year!! It's hlarious how all of the talking heads are spinning these State governorships' victories to portend a banner year in 2010. so all of the anti-gay votes in 2006 and 2007 meant a great year for conservaitves in 2008?
Yes it will Dems have controlled congress since 06 and with Obama in the white house and the economy not coming along thats all the repubs. need. Obama set the bar to high for himself hes so obsessed with HC when the rest of the country wants jobs just wait and see it hurts to fall so far from the top but dont worry just look to the repubs on how to make a comeback.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1282 View Post
Yes it will Dems have controlled congress since 06 and with Obama in the white house and the economy not coming along thats all the repubs. need. Obama set the bar to high for himself hes so obsessed with HC when the rest of the country wants jobs just wait and see it hurts to fall so far from the top but dont worry just look to the repubs on how to make a comeback.
That explains why Bush could get nothing done---the Dems blocked it (by the way Obama was a senator blocking things) but why is Obama not getting anything done when he has the power? That is really bad!!!

Old 11-04-2009, 09:44 PM

48 posts, read 93,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
... why is Obama not getting anything done when he has the power? That is really bad!!!
Um, because he's trying to reach across party lines and build a concensus. Most Republicans, on the other hand, seem to like to disregard anyone else's opinion and do whatever their leaders tell them to do. Frankly, I'm growing a little tired of the Democrats willingness to please everyone.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:50 PM

Obama is trying to reach across party lines????? Not allowing Repubs to attend meetings is very inclusive huh? OMG. Bush got into trouble for trying to please the Dems instead of his party.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:09 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Gay marriage: 0 wins, 31 losses - Crunchy Con (http://blog.beliefnet.com/crunchycon/2009/11/gay-marriage-0-wins-31-losses.html - broken link)

Gay marriage: 0 wins, 31 losses

Old 11-04-2009, 11:12 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
To add insult to injury gays CAN get partnership contracts that gives them the same benefits of married people.
No they cannot get the same benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
What's the Difference?

The most significant difference between marriage and civil unions (or domestic partnerships) is that only marriage offers federal benefits and protections.
According to the federal government's General Accounting Office (GAO), more than 1,100 rights and protections are conferred to U.S. citizens upon marriage. Areas affected include Social Security benefits, veterans' benefits, health insurance, Medicaid, hospital visitation, estate taxes, retirement savings, pensions, family leave, and immigration law.

A Primer on Same-Sex Marriage, Civil Unions, Domestic Partnerships, and Defense of Marriage Acts — Infoplease.com

Old 11-04-2009, 11:18 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
I am sure most parents who find out their daughter is a lesbian feel like they have been run over by a semi. Most parents want their kids to turn out like them so it is a shock.
Well, life doesn't always give us exactly what we want. Maybe a lot of parents are shocked if their kids turn out as homosexuals, but I would also say that most parents are then able to work through it and become better people overall because of it.

As they say, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 11-04-2009 at 11:32 PM..

Old 11-04-2009, 11:27 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Really? I don't want my kids to be like me at all, I want my kids to be themselves, and achieve whatever they dream of. Most of all I want my kids to be happy, and that does not mean making me happy. If that is part of their happines, then great, but surely all anyone wants for their kids is to love and be loved?

Old 11-05-2009, 12:08 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,861,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Oh, I won't.

I already live in a state where they shamefully banned gay marriage.
Homosexual marriage has been put to a vote in 30 other states and each time with the same result. 31-0. That's not an anomaly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies