Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2009, 10:49 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,911,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Is that what you said to defend Bush when he was criticized after the 9-11 attacks or Katrina?

Or were you jumping quickly onto the Bush-bashing bandwagon yourself and now just don't like that what goes around comes around?
Can we PLEASE get over this "but they did it, so now it's payback time" attitude already??

It wasn't "right" when people did it to Bush, it's not "right" when people do it to Obama. (In case you're wondering, I disagreed with many of Bush's policies but had respect for the fact that he held the office of POTUS).

All the finger-pointing over every silly thing (he didn't say something fast enough, he didn't use the right tone, he didn't say what I would have said) just take away from people's valid dissent about the bigger issues facing our country.

You want to protest Obama's policies? Go for it, it is your right.
Nit-picking everything that does or doesn't come out of his mouth? Give me a break.

The events at Ft. Hood were a tragedy. Why don't we spend some time worrying about the victims and their loved ones and supporting the law enforcement authorities in bringing the murderer to justice?

Last edited by eastwesteastagain; 11-06-2009 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: afterthought
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 10:50 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,964,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Christian ideology, dogma, call it what you will, does not promote violence. Are there Christians who are violent? Sure. Are there Christians who are misguided or who do terrible things? Absolutely. But, violence is not a bedrock of Christian ideology. There is no "infidel" to kill.
Maybe not today. Does the Crusades ring any bells?

Old 11-06-2009, 10:50 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,898,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
There was a reason back in the days of WWII that we didn't allow German Nazis into our military, it wasn't because of their race or anything like that but because of their beliefs. Now that we're politically correct, if Al Queda wants to send it's guys into our military, we feel we must approve.
Better check under your bed, there may be a terrorist lurking there.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:52 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,493,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Maybe not today. Does the Crusades ring any bells?
I think we're wayyy past the Crusades it's almost 2010, but the Muslims haven't progressed PAST the Crusades and they're still fighting that war.

Ask one.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:52 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,842,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
What about all those Christians in American prisons?

Nearly every single murder and rape in this country is committed by someone who was born Christian and who believes in Jesus.

So is it okay for me to say "all Christians are evil and I don't trust a Christian because there are at least 500,000 of them in our prisons"?
I highly doubt that. Most people in prison are not religious at all, most were not going to church on a regular basis or reading the Bible much at all. You can bet most in prison are quite anti-Christian in all their beliefs.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:53 AM

18,438 posts, read 19,090,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Get a life people. Try worring about those that survived and the families, your critic of the President is nothing more than your hate overpowering your brain, and you prove it by posting threads such as this for all to read. You guys just keep whining away over nothing, as usual, pitiful.
Casper
great post!

Old 11-06-2009, 10:54 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,493,979 times
Quote:
What about all those Christians in American prisons?

Nearly every single murder and rape in this country is committed by someone who was born Christian and who believes in Jesus.

So is it okay for me to say "all Christians are evil and I don't trust a Christian because there are at least 500,000 of them in our prisons"?
What about all the Muslim CONVERTS in our prisons.

You should be more concerned about them than the Christians.

I don't know one single tenet of Christian theology that would influence a Christian to murder a Jew or Muslim. Can't say the same thing about Islam.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:55 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,357,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Christian ideology, dogma, call it what you will, does not promote violence. Are there Christians who are violent? Sure. Are there Christians who are misguided or who do terrible things? Absolutely. But, violence is not a bedrock of Christian ideology. There is no "infidel" to kill.
Explain the Inquisition.
Explain the Salem Witch Trials.
Explain the IRA.
Explain the Crusades.
Explain the Holy Roman Empire that used religion as a way to spread military conquest.
Explain the Conquistadors.
Explain the KKK (which uses Christian scripture).

Sorry, Christianity has as much blood on its hands as Islam.

Anyone who follows a religion religiously is dangerous and usually not sane.

Secular people who follow religious traditions are okay, but the people who think that "God guides and protects me" are scary and dangerous. I am just as frightened by the Westboro Baptist Church (or "The Rock" in San Diego) where they promote hate and bigotry as I am by Arabs.

I've actually seen Arab terrorism first hand. I was in a market in Tel Aviv when it was bombed in 1997, I was cut by flying rock (not very badly, but still...), I saw people dying with my own two eyes.

But I've also been to London and seen what they did in response to CHRISTIAN terrorism that plagued them to the point where they've become the most surveiled society in the world.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:55 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,842,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't think the same could have been said of Hitler and Germany at all.

Most aren't terrorists, and most don't donate money to jihadist causes. I don't think it's un-Christian to help families who have lost members that were seduced by extremist rhetoric and ideologies. I think it's a show of kindness to help people who have been devastated by a loss.

As for segregationists, in the South or elsewhere, there were many people, some of whom were not white, who believed that segregation was moral, legal and right. And the highest courts in the land upheld their beliefs. That we have progressed beyond such beliefs is a testament to the adaptability of humans, the ability to learn and to empathize.

One day, that same adaptability will allow Americans to put aside their distrust and misgivings about the Islamic faith, and to perceive all the things we have in common with people of different faiths, rather than dwelling on the differences.
I think as time goes on, people will learn to be more distrustful of it.

Islamics don't really hide their intentions -- we just choose to believe they don't really mean them or think them. Most Muslims believe there can only be peace on earth when everyone is united in Islam, when everyone believes the same and all follow Sharia law.

Muslims really don't believe in freedom of religion -- there is not one Islamic nation that promotes that.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:56 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,477,977 times
Quote:
Ask the Palestinians who the terrorists are, and they'll say it's the Jews and Christians who stole their land.

Go to Amsterdam or Copenhagen, they have LOTS of Muslims and no terrorism. Go to Belfast a few years ago and they had LOTS of Terrorism and no Muslims.

Your prejudices are very clear. Maybe this guy is just someone who went crazy. Most people who go into the Phsychological medicines do so because they want to find something out about themselves. This guy dealt with PTSD on a daily basis, he probably saw and heard some messed up stuff and when he got word he'd be shipped to Iraq, he snapped. To automatically say "He's a terrorist" because he has a Muslim name is highly offensive to the 99.999% of Muslims who are peaceful. Your generalizations are no different than saying "all blacks are criminals" or "all jews are money-grubbing" or "all Mexicans are illegal aliens"...you are offending many people and you are also showing an irrational hatred for people of a certain background...
Really???

Four Danish Muslim men plead not guilty in bomb plot

Danish Police Say Muhammad-Cartoons Death Plot Foiled (Update3) - Bloomberg.com

Why Theo Van Gogh Was Murdered by Theodore Dalrymple

Living with Death Threats by Ayaan Hirsi Ali - The Globalist

Try again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies