Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 01:47 AM

959 posts, read 2,360,549 times

Advertisements

Well, due to the civic minded nieghborhood watch folks that still exist in America, the little turd that defaced my vehicle is going to jail. Turns out he has a rap sheet as long as a mile for one so young...turns out he also saw an ANCIENT remnant of a Bush/Cheney sticker on my vehicle that is hardly readable... Why do I waste your time with this personal info? Well, because...

The reason he was caught was because others in my particular neck of the woods were watching for out of the ordinary events after he did his trick on me. He was caught the next night in the act of stealing a tank of gas from my neighbor's porch, to which my neighbor's response was to rack a shell in his 12 guage and point it in the kid's general direction till the cops came. The kid pissed himself.

Then he confessed to several recent thefts and vandal acts, including the one on my truck. This kid obviously had no respect for much of anything...except the possibility of his immediate demise.

See, here in AK, guns are a given. I know lots of people; I don't know one person, or family group, that doesn't legally own their own gun, usually more than one. I also can't think of more than one or two actual violent cases in the past 4 years here that have involved someone getting shot.

One main reason why guns have become the enemy is because those WITHOUT real knowledge of guns have created an atmosphere of fear about them. They are not mystical entities. They do not go off for no reason. Guns are a tool.

Here, and in other areas where people still retain the art of hunting (and self protection), guns are respected, and if you point one at a person, it's no idle threat. And the people on both sides of the gun understand that. They know it's serious, that it's not a video game; they've most likely seen many deer and other animals die at their own hands, and understand what death is. They get the concept.

EDUCATE yourselves about guns, hunting, even death...don't back away from these things in fear simply because you don't understand, or refuse to try to understand. YOU don't have to ever pull a trigger. But don't mis-inform others about what a gun really is. One day, knowing how to use one just might save your life, help save someone's hard-earned property, or save the life/property of someone you teach.

Flame away. I've gotten so many angry posts about my take on this that I'm used to it. But please; answer the post. Don't comment on what you think of me personally. You don't even know me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2007, 03:51 AM

356 posts, read 1,179,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagrl View Post
Well, due to the civic minded nieghborhood watch folks that still exist in America, the little turd that defaced my vehicle is going to jail. Turns out he has a rap sheet as long as a mile for one so young...turns out he also saw an ANCIENT remnant of a Bush/Cheney sticker on my vehicle that is hardly readable... Why do I waste your time with this personal info? Well, because...

The reason he was caught was because others in my particular neck of the woods were watching for out of the ordinary events after he did his trick on me. He was caught the next night in the act of stealing a tank of gas from my neighbor's porch, to which my neighbor's response was to rack a shell in his 12 guage and point it in the kid's general direction till the cops came. The kid pissed himself.

Then he confessed to several recent thefts and vandal acts, including the one on my truck. This kid obviously had no respect for much of anything...except the possibility of his immediate demise.

See, here in AK, guns are a given. I know lots of people; I don't know one person, or family group, that doesn't legally own their own gun, usually more than one. I also can't think of more than one or two actual violent cases in the past 4 years here that have involved someone getting shot.

One main reason why guns have become the enemy is because those WITHOUT real knowledge of guns have created an atmosphere of fear about them. They are not mystical entities. They do not go off for no reason. Guns are a tool.

Here, and in other areas where people still retain the art of hunting (and self protection), guns are respected, and if you point one at a person, it's no idle threat. And the people on both sides of the gun understand that. They know it's serious, that it's not a video game; they've most likely seen many deer and other animals die at their own hands, and understand what death is. They get the concept.

EDUCATE yourselves about guns, hunting, even death...don't back away from these things in fear simply because you don't understand, or refuse to try to understand. YOU don't have to ever pull a trigger. But don't mis-inform others about what a gun really is. One day, knowing how to use one just might save your life, help save someone's hard-earned property, or save the life/property of someone you teach.

Flame away. I've gotten so many angry posts about my take on this that I'm used to it. But please; answer the post. Don't comment on what you think of me personally. You don't even know me.
Exactly!!!

Gun contol: being able to accuratly hit your target.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:46 AM

592 posts, read 2,809,352 times
Default Sad but true..

Personally I find it terribly delightful that a citizen actually had the nads to address the miscreant, I'd like to see a whole lot more of it. I realize there will be folks that will scream "It was only a tank of gas"...or "It was only vandalism", well, I say, too bad. Being held at gunpoint for the arrival of the police should be an anticipated risk for every individual that chooses to victimize someone. I would agree folks need to educate themselves on crime, criminality, guns, force, and a whole pile of things that affect them, sadly, many refuse to. ((If I keep my head stuck in the sand long enough, it will all go away)) Behavior of criminals is directly related to what they percieve as the easy way. Criminals aren't hard workers, they don't wish to contribute anything positive to society, they don't volunteer their time, money, or effort to things postive, they look for victims because they know they stand little chance of getting caught and when they do, there is a great "free" system they can exploit.. free beds, meals, clothes, and a court appointed lawyer. I'd love to live in your neighborhood AKGRL.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:46 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,067,837 times
Luv your neighborhood.....

Old 05-12-2007, 07:48 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,067,837 times
Default Gun history

Remember - Criminals prefer unarmed victims

Gun History

Whether you agree or not, it's an interesting lesson in history.

Something to think about...

In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953,
about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
exterminated.

------------------------------

In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million
Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total
of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were
rounded up and exterminated.

China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million
political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
exterminated.

Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000
Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000
Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
exterminated.

Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million
'educated' people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and
exterminated.

-----------------------------

Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century
because of gun control: 56 million.

It has now been 12 months since gun owners in Australia were forced by
new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by their own
government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million
dollars.

The first year results are now in:
Australia-wide, homicides are up 3.2 percent
Australia-wide, assaults are up 8.6 percent.
Australia-wide, armed robberies are up 44 percent (yes, 44 percent)!

In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up
300 percent. Note that while the law-abiding citizens turned them in,
the criminals did not, and criminals still possess their guns!

While figures over the previous 25 years showed a steady decrease in
armed robbery with firearms, this has changed drastically upward in
the past 12 months, since criminals now are guaranteed that their
prey is unarmed.

There has also been a dramatic increase in break-ins and assaults of
the ELDERLY. Australian politicians are at a loss to explain how
public safety has decreased, after such monumental effort and expense
was expended in successfully ridding Australian society of guns. The
Australian experience and the other historical facts above prove it.

You won't see this data on the American evening news or hear our
president, governors or other politicians disseminating this
information.

Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and,
yes, gun-control laws affect only the law-abiding citizens.

Take note my fellow Americans.....before it's too late!
The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please remind
them of this history lesson.

With guns, we are 'citizens'.
Without them, we are 'subjects'.

If you value your freedom, Please spread this anti-gun control
message to all of your friends and acquaintances.
You know, I think I'll hang on to that old single shot 12 gauge.

Old 05-12-2007, 02:03 PM

340 posts, read 744,847 times
Quote:

Right On Alaskagrl, WELL SAID....

Old 05-12-2007, 03:57 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,625 times
Bones, well said!

Having lived in California for most of my life, I've seen crime get worse as gun control escalated. I think if the general population had been taught about handling of firearms, and firearm safety, in general, people would be far less afraid of them.

What I find particularly troubling is that when there is a mass slaughter of people, as was the case in Virginia recently, the media is all over it, with the intent to criminalize the gun (or other murder weapon) used. They capitalize on the public's fear of firearms in order to demonize them. They never talk about the murderer's use of drugs (nearly all of them are or were using drugs). They also never promote the use of lethal force to stop these murderers in the middle of their rampages. What is most troubling about these mass murders, to me, is that there never seems to be anyone that has the ability to stop these murderers in their tracks by the use of lethal force.

I like the idea from the original post about using the threat of lethal force to stop a criminal in his tracks. If criminals were regularly faced with the threat of lethal force during the commission of their crimes, you can bet there would be far fewer crimes committed.

Old 05-12-2007, 04:10 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,296,034 times
Quote:

I personally LOVE your post...I was raised in Texas with a shotgun and riffle behind the door and a hand gun in my Dads bedside table drawer...

Clearly the only thing stopping some people from commiting a crime is what you describe, a man with a shotgun pointed in their general direction...

Does anyone remember a couple years back when in France immigrants were roiting and burning peoples cars, a few people were killed?? People get shot for things like that in Texas...I now live in Florida but get near my beloved truck with intent to set it on fire...your gonna have a problem on your hands...

Old 05-12-2007, 04:16 PM

508 posts, read 1,673,194 times
Quote:

well said!!

Old 05-12-2007, 05:23 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,773 times
Alaskagrl, what a great post! (I remember, from another one of your posts, about the vandalism to your truck, over that bumper sticker, no less). I couldn't have said it better, myself. I can only hope that anyone who reads it, who is anti-gun, will take to heart what you said. We need more people in this country to understand that a gun is a tool, as you said. And, any tool can be used for evil purposes. Ted Bundy always comes to mind. He never used a gun, in any of the murders he committed. And, he is not alone. Many people use other means to commit murder and mayhem. It simply makes for better press, when it is a gun that is used, instead. The person(s) who misuse them, are the ones who should be held accountable, not the gun, (or any other tool/implement, for that matter), and certainly not the law-abiding person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies