Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 10:33 AM

1,385 posts, read 3,007,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Hmmm...sounds like another "Tollerant" liberal
You need a new argument, seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 11:00 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,114,142 times
Most non smokers are good folks and I do my best to respect their right to not breathe my smoke. Then there are those non smokers who MAKE you want to blow smoke in their face.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:02 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
I was on a very rough airline flight one night and the guy next to me politely asked if I would mind if he smoked. I understood that he wanted to quell his nervousness but I still had to answer, "Not if you mind me barfing in your pocket". That would have been the effect of his smoking at that time. I could not have helped myself because the bouncing aircraft had already made me nauseous. He politely put away his cigarette. All was well but after we landed I got sick anyway. But it was not caused by a arrogant smoker.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:09 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I was on a very rough airline flight one night and the guy next to me politely asked if I would mind if he smoked. I understood that he wanted to quell his nervousness but I still had to answer, "Not if you mind me barfing in your pocket".
Why such a flippant response? The guy was being very polite and considerate.

It's your own attitude that's the reason people don't give a rats ass whether or not you approve of them smoking near you.

You're probably one of those that fakes coughing when someone lights up nearby. I take pleasure in generating as much smoke as possible around those types. If they simply ask me politely, I'm more than happy to put out the cigarette or relocate to finish it, but they get what they earn with that kind of behavior.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:11 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I don't smoke - but I don't get so hyper as some seem to when smokers are around -

Do you get "hyper" when someone cuts the cheese upwind of you? Smoking and farting in public are very much alike as far as how obnoxious it is.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:18 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,006,241 times
As a smoker who has been smoke free for 6 days, I always always asked if the nonsmoker minded if I lit up. If they said they minded then I either didn't smoke or removed myself to somewhere I could, usually outside. I also NEVER smoked in a nonsmokers car or house. I even went so far as to stand outside my own car to have a smoke when I had nonsmokers riding with me. (of course I was also waiting for the car to warm up so no big deal.)

Since I usually hang around with the same people, I knew who I could and who I couldn't light up around. It's just polite, like saying excuse me when you need to get past someone.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:30 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Do you get "hyper" when someone cuts the cheese upwind of you? Smoking and farting in public are very much alike as far as how obnoxious it is.
If you are asking if a make a "scene" as some non smoker do? No, I don't. I find the "scenes" that some non smokers make as being very melodramatic and totally idiotic

Old 10-02-2008, 12:07 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,543,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

Over-reacting and acting obnoxious about the situation is much more distastful than what you described.

Both sides can be and (for the most part) ARE repectful and grownup about dealing withthe issue.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:08 PM

769 posts, read 2,233,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
There you go...making excuses. The only thing that is weak, is your tollerance for the rights of others...
And.........?

Old 10-02-2008, 01:13 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
It's easier to get away from a car exhaust than when you're in a crowded bus with smokers, like the O.P.'s old man.

Besides, driving is more essential, smoking is not essential at all. Your argument is weak, weak, weak.
You don't drive. I don't drive.

How is driving "essential"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies