Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 09:16 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Every smoker is a different person. Please don't base your opinion of all smokers on one quip posted in a reply to you on an Internet forum.
It wasn't "inconsiderate". It was pointing out that we have to deal with things that are distasteful to us, or that make us uncomfortable, without "doing anything about it" on a daily basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
I encounter a lot of cigarette smoke at school and I understand you may want to die but don't threaten the quality of my lungs.
I'm considering one of those masks people wear when they paint with non-VOC paints.
It's getting really annoying.

Smoking, IMO, is a bit different than perfumes and cologne.
Someone with asthma can die if they are exposed to too much cigarette smoke. We KNOW smoking is horrible for your health...
Perfumes and cologne...not so much. It gives me a headache but I can take a pill and the headache is gone.
As far as my lungs getting damaged to being exposed to second-hand smoke...as far as I know no pill exists to reverse the damage.

If you want to kill yourself, fine and hurry up please...just don't kill me in the process.
How does an aspirin cure my GORGE? My urge to vomit from the stench?

Old 10-06-2008, 10:32 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
How does an aspirin cure my GORGE? My urge to vomit from the stench?
I don't know.
I personally get headaches as well from perfume and cologne so I know what you're talking about.
I may not directly get nauseated from the perfume and cologne but the headache can cause me to feel nauseated.

In any case, I still stand by my original post.
I pretty much wish an early death for those who subject me to their smoke. I can understand if I go to a smoker's house, I'm asking for it but if I'm trying to get to class and I'm subjected to your smoke, PLEASE just smoke the whole pack at once and get it over with.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:42 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
I pretty much wish an early death for those who subject me to their smoke.
And here we have the quintessential anti-smoker attitude.

YOU are the reason some smokers are inconsiderate.

YOU are the reason some smokers think all non-smokers are jerks.

YOU are the reason some smokers don't care about non-smokers.

YOU bring everything you get upon YOURSELF. YOU are responsible for the attitude you get from others around you. YOU attract negative responses from people.

Keep thinking about that early death. The law of attraction works, you know...

Old 10-06-2008, 11:01 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Addicted smokers are the same as addicted drunks. Nothing matters but the drug.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
I don't know.
I personally get headaches as well from perfume and cologne so I know what you're talking about.
I may not directly get nauseated from the perfume and cologne but the headache can cause me to feel nauseated.

In any case, I still stand by my original post.
I pretty much wish an early death for those who subject me to their smoke. I can understand if I go to a smoker's house, I'm asking for it but if I'm trying to get to class and I'm subjected to your smoke, PLEASE just smoke the whole pack at once and get it over with.
THe point I made earlier is that I COULD chain smoke an entire pack with no ill effects...but someone who drinks a case of beer is going to come down with alcohol poisoning.

But...like you said...have at it. I won't deny you the FREEDOM to do something I find stupid.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:34 PM

613 posts, read 1,270,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Addicted smokers are the same as addicted drunks. Nothing matters but the drug.
I wish I could give you and everyone like you lung cancer..

Old 10-14-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allah truth View Post
I wish I could give you and everyone like you lung cancer..
No worse than cirrhosis. Wish you'd kill yourself in a drunk driving accident.

We even now?

Old 10-14-2008, 05:58 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Honestly - if I was in an open area, and wished to "light up", I would. If it bothered you, I'd tell you to move away -

Old 10-14-2008, 06:16 PM

702 posts, read 2,295,760 times
Yes, I care about the non-smokers around me. I smoked in my early 20s, quit for over 10 years, then started again about 2 years ago (don't ask why - I don't know). I am much more courteous as a smoker now than I was 10 years ago, and in fact I am almost embarrassed that I smoke so I seldom do it in public. If I do, it's out on the patio of a bar where half the patrons are also outside smoking.

I also care about more than nonsmokers by never, ever tossing a cigarette butt on the ground. Stub it out, into the trash it goes.

Quote:
I don't know.
I am also a bit sensitive to "smells", particularly perfume/cologne. The few times I've been stuck working with someone who is compelled to coat their body with artificial scents, I have complained and resolved the problem. Some perfumes/colognes smell noxiously putrid when overused. Women are by far the bigger offenders of this.

Just a few days ago I stopped at a gas station and a car parked beside. Out came a young girl and guy and a few seconds later I got a whiff of her "scent" as she walked by. Ugh, I almost started retching. How he sat in a car with her stinking like that, I have no idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies