Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the stock market overinflated?
Yes 27 72.97%
No 8 21.62%
Not sure 2 5.41%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 03:40 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,479,243 times

Advertisements

There's solid hardwood, and then there's the ticky-tacky veneer crap. Just a thought...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 10:59 PM

745 posts, read 1,438,472 times
Quote:
Here's an idea; instead of acting all smart and stuff on a messageboard why don't you take your money and short the living **** out of the market? Just man up and put your money where your mouth is and show everyone how brilliant you are. Win or lose I'd respect that. This blowhard crap on the internet though, not so much.
Hey TraderX- You are posting on this same thread, are you not? Pot calling the kettle black maybe?

And your note about how "anyone with half a brain" doesn't care about value? Brilliant. Does Warren Buffet have a brain?

Something tells me you might not be as much of a bad ass trader as you are making yourself out to be.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:15 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,632,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Without turning this into a "CEO" thread, understand that if your the CEO of GS, and you just created a $3,000,000 profit in the last quarter, why would you not be entitled to a bonus? Its $3 BILLION dollars. As an investor you dont care if the profits were done on the taxpayers back because they provided cheap capital, you care about the fact that the CEO was able to obtain that cheap capital and return the profits to you..
CEO in that instance does deserve a bonus.............he has increased profitability and he has given value back to the shareholders.

The problem is that the US banks and their CEO's do not perform over the long term.
Banks supposedly "profitable" between 2003-2006, we found to have built profits on sand.

Bonus's ought to be paid out over long term performance and not short term apparent "gains" (ie.earning commission for house sales to customers who ultimately cannot repay their mortgage).

Old 11-14-2009, 08:25 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indurain View Post
Bonus's ought to be paid out over long term performance and not short term apparent "gains" (ie.earning commission for house sales to customers who ultimately cannot repay their mortgage).
And 10 years ago, liberals were crying because bonuses were paid out over the long term in stock options, and the argument then was that it gave the board an incentive to do whats best for the stock holders, and not the company. (no, they are not the same).

Liberals will NEVER be happy about methods boards/CEO's will be paid.. NEVER. You guys always find a reason to complain..

Old 11-14-2009, 09:02 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,933 times
Stock markets (the developed ones anyway) are efficient. All the known and relevant information about publicly traded companies are reflected in their stock prices. As such, stocks are properly priced. If you want to take advantage of inefficiencies in stocks (ie make profits off of them), the Dow and SP 500 are not the places to look for them. Check out the small and microcap arenas here in the US and overseas.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:04 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,933 times
Quote:
And 10 years ago, liberals were crying because bonuses were paid out over the long term in stock options, and the argument then was that it gave the board an incentive to do whats best for the stock holders, and not the company. (no, they are not the same).

Liberals will NEVER be happy about methods boards/CEO's will be paid.. NEVER. You guys always find a reason to complain..
Prove that it was liberals who were "crying about bonuses".

Old 11-14-2009, 10:14 AM

745 posts, read 1,438,472 times
Quote:
Stock markets (the developed ones anyway) are efficient.
That is definitely debate-able.

I am pro-free market.... but it would be naive to believe that stocks could not be manipulated by very wealthy, very powerful people. Even in this day & age.

By the time a common, "normal" investor gets news.... the value has already been reflected in a stock.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:56 AM

975 posts, read 1,755,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcnyc View Post
Hey TraderX- You are posting on this same thread, are you not? Pot calling the kettle black maybe?

And your note about how "anyone with half a brain" doesn't care about value? Brilliant. Does Warren Buffet have a brain?

Something tells me you might not be as much of a bad ass trader as you are making yourself out to be.
No not really. My point is these threads are stupid. I have a lot of free time though and perhaps you could agrue I don't always use it wisely.

As for Buffet, you clearly don't understand what Buffet does. Believe me, there's nothing there for you. On top of that Buffet is the most over-hyped person on earth.

As for my trading, I never claimed to be a bad ass. In fact, I suck. But my suckyness still produces 10x or more income than your brilliance. You went there not me.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:12 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:

Thank you for your insight on the markets, as obviously you have quite a bit of experience. I claim no knowledge whatsoever regarding the market, however, I have done very well by nearly an idiotic method.

I sell when I am feeling really good about my investments and buy when I am feeling really bad about my investments. I sold out last month. I avoided the crash of '87, 2000, and 2007-8 by this method. It seems very simple minded, but it seems to work pretty well.

Buffet is actually a pretty decent guy. He is a friend and buisness partner of one of my friends. He is a democrat, but is not a nut job liberal and seems to have other people's interest, as well as his own, in mind when investing. He is one of the main reasons we have such a high percentage of wind generated energy in Iowa and is a pretty good joe to local Omaha charities.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:16 AM

975 posts, read 1,755,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Thank you for your insight on the markets, as obviously you have quite a bit of experience. I claim no knowledge whatsoever regarding the market, however, I have done very well by nearly an idiotic method.

I sell when I am feeling really good about my investments and buy when I am feeling really bad about my investments. I sold out last month. I avoided the crash of '87, 2000, and 2007-8 by this method. It seems very simple minded, but it seems to work pretty well.
You sound pretty sharp to me. And your simple method is actually quite brilliant, btw. Fade the herd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies