Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 04:20 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,564,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDolan View Post
stevemorse,

Don't worry, After reading your post on Edison Police officers pay- No One can help you except a shrink. Its people like you that politicians love. You vote based on what your neighbor Mr. Smith said, or what you heard on the radio. When you combine that with a 12th grade education, its a lethal combination.

P.S. Bush wasted Trillions, not billions, Trillions of American taxpayers money on building some arab country. His favorite friends, called Bush rangers, wealthty CEO's of Ameriquest Mortgage & New Century Mortgage were the culprits of the Subprime collapse that ruined our economy. Bush appointee, Republican SEC Chairman Cox took out ALL the regulation that could have stopped all this.

And you are worried about Police officers making over $100K ???? Wow ! Unbelievable
I know alot of poor people who were doing better under Bush than now!! Please the country has never been so divide than with this Obama. Race, class, political status, I have never seen so many people divide in so many different ways. ANd you can take your 5th grade education and go cry over us evil rich people. BTW, I dont hate police, I just think 200k for 8 officers in ONE town is excessive. I really dont care what you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 04:20 PM

9,399 posts, read 20,902,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDolan View Post
stevemorse,

Don't worry, After reading your post on Edison Police officers pay- No One can help you except a shrink. Its people like you that politicians love. You vote based on what your neighbor Mr. Smith said, or what you heard on the radio. When you combine that with a 12th grade education, its a lethal combination.

P.S. Bush wasted Trillions, not billions, Trillions of American taxpayers money on building some arab country. His favorite friends, called Bush rangers, wealthty CEO's of Ameriquest Mortgage & New Century Mortgage were the culprits of the Subprime collapse that ruined our economy. Bush appointee, Republican SEC Chairman Cox took out ALL the regulation that could have stopped all this.

And you are worried about Police officers making over $100K ???? Wow ! Unbelievable
I think Marilyn is smart in voting the way she does. She is voting to keep more of the money her and her family rightfully EARNED. Not stole, but by virtue of their hands, or their brains (and it's none of my business, frankly) were able to amass.

Class envy will remain the most lethal weapon the left uses to foist onto its core constituency. The rank and file leftist inherently trusts a centralized Washington D.C. bureaucracy over business and profit-seeking entities. It's in their blood, and from the age of rationality, going forward to the present day, can not understand why so many have this preference. This system is not without flaws, as man is, by nature, not without flaws. But individual people, left to their own device, pursuing their own interests through capitalism and free trade, will better society than a small group of elected office holders, 10 times out of 10. It's no contest. To espouse what you are purporting to believe here is reckless, and borderline criminal. You want to elevate the speaker of the house or senate majority leader to a mafia don, who makes you submit a 'cut' of your hard earned labor to the centralized controlled state, before you even see it, no less (witness the Withholding Act of 1942). When you confiscate one's labor, (which you call for on high earning individuals) you are denying one to the product of their own mind. This is where I have to educate you on what the proper view of taxes are. You know what they really are? Unpaid labor for the state, and because they are deducted from one's pay before they are even seen, that reality becomes blurred. You seem to have no problem with having a percentage of your time working directly for the state. I do. Someone like Marilyn here, whose family earned money by the sweat of their brow, and is now forced to pay an inheritance tax, that's a double screwing. You know what's happened to Marilyn's family's income? A portion of their labor has been handed to a government official who gets to decide what's society's best interest. As I have said before, I am not against taxation, however, I push back when a government bureaucracy thinks they know what's better for my personal interest, plus an entire society of persons. I think it's immoral to justify taking a larger percentage of of an individual's labor and mind, simply because they are more productive than someone else. End of story. And while we are on the subject, who in the HELL has the right to determine what constitutes 'wealthy'? The idea that an individual has no right to the product of their own labor is completely at odds with those men who hashed out the United States Constitution. That's what the central battle was over. And as a nation, we are well on our way to pissing it into the Delaware River. And it's a damn shame.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I think Marilyn is smart in voting the way she does. She is voting to keep more of the money her and her family rightfully EARNED. Not stole, but by virtue of their hands, or their brains (and it's none of my business, frankly) were able to amass.

Class envy will remain the most lethal weapon the left uses to foist onto its core constituency. The rank and file leftist inherently trusts a centralized Washington D.C. bureaucracy over business and profit-seeking entities. It's in their blood, and from the age of rationality, going forward to the present day, can not understand why so many have this preference. This system is not without flaws, as man is, by nature, not without flaws. But individual people, left to their own device, pursuing their own interests through capitalism and free trade, will better society than a small group of elected office holders, 10 times out of 10. It's no contest. To espouse what you are purporting to believe here is reckless, and borderline criminal. You want to elevate the speaker of the house or senate majority leader to a mafia don, who makes you submit a 'cut' of your hard earned labor to the centralized controlled state, before you even see it, no less (witness the Withholding Act of 1942). When you confiscate one's labor, (which you call for on high earning individuals) you are denying one to the product of their own mind. This is where I have to educate you on what the proper view of taxes are. You know what they really are? Unpaid labor for the state, and because they are deducted from one's pay before they are even seen, that reality becomes blurred. You seem to have no problem with having a percentage of your time working directly for the state. I do. Someone like Marilyn here, whose family earned money by the sweat of their brow, and is now forced to pay an inheritance tax, that's a double screwing. You know what's happened to Marilyn's family's income? A portion of their labor has been handed to a government official who gets to decide what's society's best interest. As I have said before, I am not against taxation, however, I push back when a government bureaucracy thinks they know what's better for my personal interest, plus an entire society of persons. I think it's immoral to justify taking a larger percentage of of an individual's labor and mind, simply because they are more productive than someone else. End of story. And while we are on the subject, who in the HELL has the right to determine what constitutes 'wealthy'? The idea that an individual has no right to the product of their own labor is completely at odds with those men who hashed out the United States Constitution. That's what the central battle was over. And as a nation, we are well on our way to pissing it into the Delaware River. And it's a damn shame.
thank you said perfect!!! First its taxed when you make the money, then its taxed in the Estate Tax, then its taxed again when it comes out of trust called the Inheritance tax. You know my Dad got a huge life insurance policy long time ago , so I asked him finally how much and all the details because I am the one who gets it and handles the life Insurance when he dies. He said Marilyn, that policy is to pay all the taxes!! So he took out a huge life insurance just to pay when he dies all the taxes on the rest of the Estate (Federal/State) this is SAD!!!!!! I finally figured out why every Christmas the hand us huge check (my parents) they need to give it away ALIVE!!!!!!! This is such a sad, pathetic situation. The taxes on the rich are really now that the Bush tax cuts are going to end are just plain terrible. This is going to hurt alot. Not just the rich. When has higher taxes every helped?? Can someone name me a time when taxes where huge and the economy did good????? Im open minded show me.

Last edited by stevemorse; 11-10-2009 at 04:34 PM..

Old 11-10-2009, 04:25 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,837,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
This is more of a national politics thread than a Jersey one.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post

all this smart talk is a big turn on , too bad your taken.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:42 PM

50,528 posts, read 64,501,118 times
I can only tell you why I do.
It's because I think people are smart enough to decide what they need to spend their own money on in their own communities.
It's because if you tax and place too many regulations on business, then they can't make a profit and they can't afford to hire as many people or pay them as well.
Because our founders knew that in order to prosper, people need to be free to use their own wits to grow business, invent things, etc. Nothing kills human incentive faster that being handed something for nothing. Sort of like your lazy teenagers who never were forced to do any chores.
We learned this way back with the Pilgrims when everyone contributed their particular skill to the common good and all shared equally. It didn't take long for the slackers to figure out that they would get what they needed whether they contributed or not. So the hard working people started to slack off too because they did not think they should be doing all the work, but still getting the same as everyone else.
It's the same as now when the government intends to tax the rich in order to give more handouts to the poor. Or if the healthcare bill passes, many of the doctors are going to quit because there will be no financial incentive to take care of sick people. Madness.
I think there was good reason to form labor unions and good reason to have welfare when these things first were adopted. BUT they should have had a shelf life, and been discontinued years ago. The labor unions ruined the auto industry and welfare caused generations of useless people, who would have been better off if they had been forced to work like everybody who was forced to pay for them.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:43 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,966,065 times
There are some issues that are deal-breakers for folks on both sides.

Rich Democrats also vote against their economic best interest sometimes.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:44 PM

341 posts, read 681,358 times
One of the worst things ever to happen to this country was the election of Ronald Reagan. In an attempt to balance the budget and to finance a huge defense budget, his administration cut various domestic programs in the 1980's. Although they claimed that these cutbacks were not consciously designed to hurt the poor, the elderly, and minorities the most, this is exactly what such cutbacks did. A disturbing report made public by the Congressional Budget Office indicated that program cutbacks in 1984 reduced benefits for those in the "below $10,000" imcome range by $430 a person. The most affluent Americans only saw a reduction of $140.

More problematic, the budget cuts sliced income security programs such as food stamps and housing assistance by about 15%, reduced education programs by 18%, and cut employment programs by 60%. While the rich got richer under Reagan, the poor got poorer, aggravating further their already disadvantaged position in society. Since minority groups comprised a greater proportion of the recipients of such programs, the cuts hurt America's minorities more than whites. In other words, those cuts were are form of racial discrimination.

I bring up the example of Reagan because there seems to be a movement in the Republican Party to move the party back toward the benighted policies of the 1980's. If they ever gain power America can expect the inequities of social class in America to be seriously augmented. Conservative Republicans have historically sold out the middle-class and the working poor to fatten the pockets of their cronies in big business. George W. Bush proudly carried on this tradition and took us down to new depths and succeeded in causing the biggest recession in decades. The Republican party, if it ever gains a majority in the house and senate, will easily succeed in destroying the rest of the economy and bring about the downfall of our economic system.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:45 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,966,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
It's funny how upper income elites believe that they are the only class of people in America entitled to vote based on their morals and principles, even if such a vote is against their own economic interest.

I know it is frustrating that the "little people" have issues they believe in that go deeper than the elitists' pockets, and for which they cannot be bought off by the privileged class.
Good post.

Old 11-10-2009, 04:50 PM

341 posts, read 681,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I know alot of poor people who were doing better under Bush than now!! Please the country has never been so divide than with this Obama. Race, class, political status, I have never seen so many people divide in so many different ways. ANd you can take your 5th grade education and go cry over us evil rich people. BTW, I dont hate police, I just think 200k for 8 officers in ONE town is excessive. I really dont care what you think.

There is something about they way you phrase your statements and the tenor of your diatribe that leads me to believe that you may be rich, but did not earn a penny of your cash. I could be wrong but I have a feeling that you got a major windfall inheritance and have been able to sail through life on the money and hard work of others. Like I said, it is possible that I am wrong, but people like you are so blatant. Not that there is anything wrong about your situation, its just that you don't have much credibility when talking about working hard for your riches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies