Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 09:23 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,949,842 times

Advertisements

[quote=JohnSLX;11574032]When I read this whole thread, it makes me realize why the once mighty party of Ronald Reagan has lost Two Consecutive national landslide defeats in 06 & 08. In only the 2nd time in the last 100 years has a political party in the U.S. lose back to back national elections in landslide fashion.

We have a bunch of right wing joe the plumbers right here in our own backyard of NJ.

If you read the threads of this handful of characters & just came out of a cave after 8 years of living a hermit, you would think that the last 8 years under George W. Bush was a period of prosperity, wealth, abundance, fiscal discipline & peace.

God, to find Joe the plumber in Ohio. yes. In the south, yes. But to have a bunch of you here in a more educated setting like New Jersey is unbelievable.

Boys & Girls- the man you idolize, the man your worship just lead this nation to near economic devastation, two costly & very unpopular wars, our nation being attacked under his watch,( & his party's Governor, his party's Mayor,) the worse handling of a natural disaster in US history.

Left office with the Highest Deficit in US History, the highest Deficit increase in US History, the worst lost of job under his term of any republican or democrat since the great depression.

And yes, the Most unpopular US President in history since the invention of polling ( yes, even worse than Nixon) according to Gallup, ABC, Fox, CNN-USA today, Rasm

Due to his failed Presidency, transformed his party into Regional party of Republicans with 98% white followers composed of predominantly white males with high school diplomas.

And these NJ version of Joe & Jane the plumber characters make it sound like we had a wonderful 8 years.

NJ,NY,CA,OH,IN,MI,FL- All 50 states & millions of americans are hurting big-time after 8 years of Bush- and you guys have nothing to say but I love George. LOL

What the hell has happened to this 25% of my fellow white people. Its an entire underclass of less educated americans who are being used by a few powerful, wealthy individuals to carry water for them. This is why america is down. Instead of going to college, we have millions of these people with nothing to show in terms of education. How in the world can we compete with the India, China & now even Europe. Its a whole underclass of uneducated working class.

Can you imagine what these people teach their children ??? Geez !!![/QUOTE

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Quite a bit of truth here, and I can certainly sense your frustration.

The "Joe the Plumber" types of the world can be found everywhere, and their stories are always the same. After the real "Joe the Plumber" was exposed, you'd think that just maybe some of these types would think a little before casting their lot with the GOP. But they won't, and the GOP leadership loves every minute of it, for the Joe-the-Plumber-types of the world are just playing right into their hands. It becomes very clear that the GOP elite are not interested in you--they simply want your vote, and they won't hesitate to use any "divide-and-conquer routine they have to in order to get it.

Last edited by MassVt; 11-10-2009 at 09:26 PM.. Reason: separate statements
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 09:24 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,641,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSLX View Post
Did you teach your children how these dark skinned americans called Blacks did not get to vote for 400 years? Did you teach your children what you call "European Americans" did to black people in the south who attempted to vote???
Yawn. Yes. And I teach my children the full-scope of history, not history starting with European domination 500 years ago.

They learn about the 300 year African colonization of Iberia, about the slavery practiced in Africa for thousands of years and how the West was the first culture to actually ban slavery. They learn how their European ancestors were slaves as well, controlled by a few European wealthy elites. They learn about religious persecution of all religions, including persecution suffered by Christians. They learn how their fellow European ancestors were starved to death by the millions by elites lording it over the rest of the Continent. They learn about the intra-Asian racism and brutality that their Asian ancestors practiced against one another, as is still evidenced by modern history. They learn how millions of Americans sacrificed their lives in the Civil War to end slavery.

They learn first-hand the reverse discrimination that universities practice to ensure they don't fill up with too many of those "smart Asians". They learn about the horrible disease-ridden and poverty stricken condition that hundreds millions of people in Africa and parts of Asia live, and die, in every day, while the "poor, disadvantaged" of America boo-hoo about not enough cable TV channels or not being able to afford cell phones and stuff their fat faces with junk food using government food stamps, and then have the nerve to ask for racist privileges on top of that. They watch the "poor babies" here, the poorest of whom live better than 80% of the world's population, shoot each other over pairs of sneakers. They learn how, in fact, those of all races who are born in American these days are far better off than they would be had their ancestors never been brought here, whether on slave ships or famine ships or any other means.

They are raised tri-lingual to respect and understand their multicultural background, and taught to respect people as individuals. They are taught that the true disadvantaged people in society are those without money, not those of a certain skin color. Money talks, the rest walks. It's that truth that the racists and elites want to distract people from with their race-baiting and reverse racism.

They learn how a white child born to a single-mother in poverty in Appalachia will be given no special treatment, yet the Obama girls and will be given racist preferential treatment based on the color of their skin and their "disadvantaged" status. And worse than no special treatment, Asian will be discriminated against at universities and elsewhere because apparently there are "too many" of them to fit someone else's idea of the proper quota, regardless of merit or how hard they worked and against what odds.

In short, they learn the full scope of human history and its ebb and flow of racism and brutality between tribes of people, and how history is one long story of one tribe trying to live better at another's expense. They learn it is long since time to stop race-baiting and discriminating against people because of the color of their skin. And they're taught to violently reject any would-be elites cramming race-guilt or social experimentation in their faces because it fits some stupid fantasy they cook up in the comfort of their lilly white suburbs and ivory towers.

You are free to burden your own children with white guilt and teach them to carry some sort of white man's burden for the rest of their lives. Don't expect everyone else to do so.

Last edited by Lusitan; 11-10-2009 at 09:44 PM..

Old 11-11-2009, 12:55 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,892,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post

They learn how a white child born to a single-mother in poverty in Appalachia will be given no special treatment, yet the Obama girls and will be given racist preferential treatment based on the color of their skin and their "disadvantaged" status. And worse than no special treatment, Asian will be discriminated against at universities and elsewhere because apparently there are "too many" of them to fit someone else's idea of the proper quota, regardless of merit or how hard they worked and against what odds.

There aren't that many minorities in elite educational institutions, anyway, even though we do have affirmative action. Without it, there'd be fewer. Do you really believe that students in elite educational institutions do not benefit from there being some members of minority groups in class?

For the Asian issue, I do not know how widely the practice of requiring more from Asian applicants is in higher education, so I can't really comment about it.

For the record, I felt 100% like you do until I started at my current school and realized AA in school admissions is A) not a big deal, as a practical matter (minority students are not less intelligent and, again, there aren't that many, anyway) and B) probably a good thing (I don't know if any minority in any of my classes benefited from it, but if they did, then I am happy s/he did, because I do see some value to having people who have experienced life from a racial minority's perspective).

Old 11-11-2009, 03:16 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,543,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dakar View Post
I absolutely cannot believe what I have just read. Although some sort of social stratification appears to take place in all societies, something else needs to be emphasized here. Stratification may be inevitable, the detrimental and dehumanizing effects of distinguishing people in terms of wealth is almost entirely a product of the particular culture of a society or group and the values and practices of its members. To use power gained from wealth to unfairly dominate another human being or group and to advocate for methods that keep that person from succeeding is not what the power of a particular social position is intended for. And the fact that one claims that position through no achievement of their own, is a misuse of the prerogative, self-serving in the worst sense, and is purposefully destructive of other's lives. It really is a shame.
I was a crack addict for over 10 years. Do you know what I do know that I have 13 years sober. I go out and get referal from several social workers in the State of NJ. I work for FREE, go pick them up because they want help. Talk to them and try to get them in treatment. I have been all over the State, all races, all types of addicts, all desperate and want a bed in a rehab. I find that bed, sometime I take them in my house if its a day later, then drive them. My record today for this year is 23 people sober and still sober that I brought to treatment!! That does not include the people who I take to treatment and dont make it sober. My phone is open to addicts and the ones that I have helped and are still sober still get my help. People and social workers now seek me out, I get a least 2 calls a week for help. I am not paid, I used my gas, my wear and tear on my car, my house, and my money if needed. Can you say you give back just as much? I also worked in social work for 8 years. My goal besides weight lifting which is a big passion of mine, is and has been for along time to help addicts who want help!!! I am very active and always willing to find a bed /ride or hand to an addict who wants HELP. I hope you have changed your opinion about me.

Achievements over 13 years sober
People who I got into treatment and still sober and active in program 86
People who I have total over the years drive and put and placed and helped in rehab/detox 312

I would call that saving and being the first responder in a sense to save a life from terrible drug addiction 86 people a great achievement.

If you knew me more maybe I could change your mind.

I also have alot of educational achievements but so do alot of people. I count helping addicts my greatest achievement.
Also my mother was mentally ill, it happened right after I was born, my family lobbied for Lithium on the market for manic depressives. My mother had terrible mental illness and we knew lithium would cure her, but it was not legal in the USA until I was 21. All those years of being sick and us going to mexico for lithium and trying to get it approved by the FDA. My father fought for the rights of the mentally ill for years. He also fought for mental illness patients not to get their brain cut up and cruel treatment. In 1966 my mother became sick and in 1988 she became cured due to Lithium. She never had an eposide of mental illness after lithium. I remember as a young kid and teenage fighting and going around the country with my dad fighting the FDA for lithium to be on the market. It was legal in other counties for along time.

I do hope again I have changed your mind. I am a good honest giving person who had a lot of trouble. Addiction for a long time, sick mother who has just passed away, blind sister who needs a kidney too. Maybe I am not so bad.

In fact, I have to go to Paterson today to speak with an addict and get him into a detox program. I have to meet him and his family at 11 am. I hope I can help him to get into a detox. Its sort of an intervention today. I dont get a dime for this work.

So as you can see there is another side to me that you may not have known. And despite that I dont work or plan to work for now, and I have my faults that I can and try to see and recognize , I would think that helping addicts is somewhat of a good cause and work too? If your son or daughter needed help, If they were that bad off and a terrible addict maybe you could see what I do of some value. I am not perfect, I have alot of work ahead of me in my personality. I am trying to change my faults and not be in denial about them. I hope one day we could be friends. Maybe you could help me be a better human being!!!!!! You could help me with my writing skills, you seem to write so well and such good vocabulary. I have alot of work ahead of me to change myself and maybe with your help I could.

Thanks ,

Marilyn

Last edited by stevemorse; 11-11-2009 at 03:52 AM..

Old 11-11-2009, 04:26 AM

315 posts, read 872,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Thanks Michelle and as for the bolded part in your post....Good Lawd NO..two wing dings

Yes- - too many people (all parties) think that all republicans have the same the ideals and ideas of those 2 knuckeheads

If I were a republican , I think I would be embarrassed by more than a few of thier comments

Old 11-11-2009, 06:05 AM

13,414 posts, read 28,786,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
thank you said perfect!!! First its taxed when you make the money, then its taxed in the Estate Tax, then its taxed again when it comes out of trust called the Inheritance tax. You know my Dad got a huge life insurance policy long time ago , so I asked him finally how much and all the details because I am the one who gets it and handles the life Insurance when he dies. He said Marilyn, that policy is to pay all the taxes!! So he took out a huge life insurance just to pay when he dies all the taxes on the rest of the Estate (Federal/State) this is SAD!!!!!! I finally figured out why every Christmas the hand us huge check (my parents) they need to give it away ALIVE!!!!!!! This is such a sad, pathetic situation. The taxes on the rich are really now that the Bush tax cuts are going to end are just plain terrible. This is going to hurt alot. Not just the rich. When has higher taxes every helped?? Can someone name me a time when taxes where huge and the economy did good????? Im open minded show me.
Exactly!!!

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot help small men by tearing down big men.
You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.
You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than your income.
You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatreds.
You cannot establish security on borrowed money.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away a man's initiative and independence.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
William J. H. Boetcker, 1916 (often attributed to Lincoln)

Old 11-11-2009, 06:16 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,426,145 times
Why do working class white Republicans vote against their own economic interests?

Very simple, the Republicans are very good at what they do.
They know the working class are not really their peer group so they devise ways to dupe those folks.
"If you vote in Democrats they will come into your home and take your guns away"
" The Democrats will give free health care to illegal aliens"
"The Democrats will force to to have an abortion even if you don't want to"
" The Democrats are anti God"

It is so easy to dupe right wing thinkers that all you have to do is suggest something they are against and they think it is law.
I guess what I am suggesting is that they are just not very bright.
But in all fairness even stupid people need heroes that's why Limbaugh, Hanniety, and all the other right wing wackos are so popular.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:22 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,960,535 times
Here is my theory.

People like balance. They don't like one party having all the power for too long. When any one party stays in power for too long, without any checks and balances, they start to do stupid things.

That is why we have independent swing voters, a fancy name for people who know that both parties are full of sh*t therefore they just switch their votes around once in a while.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:52 AM

555 posts, read 1,656,253 times
In my opinion... and this is just my opinions... anyone who can do something for themself but believes the Government can do it better for them, is foolish.

By that logic, voting Democrat is foolish.

You want to talk about all the safety nets the Dems have created and how we'll all use them. Well duh, of course we'll use them. I don't need this $6,500 tax credit on the home I'm buying but why would I refuse it?

But here's what you haven't considered. If you didn't have to pay all that frickin FICA out of every pay check, would you need social security? You're allowing Government in some way to take care of something you could yourself, your retirement... and frankly, the Government is a REALLY bad investor. Believing they can do more with that money then you could do with the same money every week is foolish.

I vote Republican because I vote to guard my paycheck from Government "help" and "safety nets". I am an intelligent and educated individual, I don't need or want the Government to help me live my life. I vote for small government and individual accountability. It's that simple.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:55 AM

555 posts, read 1,656,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Exactly!!!

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot help small men by tearing down big men.
You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.
You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than your income.
You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatreds.
You cannot establish security on borrowed money.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away a man's initiative and independence.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
William J. H. Boetcker, 1916 (often attributed to Lincoln)
kate... I may just love you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies