Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 08:01 AM

295 posts, read 832,801 times

Advertisements

I was a thin child and a thin adult and had my first heart attack in my early 40's. Go figure.

Kids in our area no longer have PE (gym) on a regular basis either and I think they only have to take one semester of it anyway. That was how it was for my sons who graduated a few years ago. Most get exercise through sports programs, not in school. It wasn't that way when I was growing up. We had gym every single day all the way through high school.

I remember back when in the early 60's JFK started his physical fitness program for youth. Tho I'm against 'socialized' anything, that fitness program was good and the schools did participate. Today there's nothing like that and that's unfortunate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 08:07 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Studies suggest overweight kids are coronary time bombs - CNN.com

What are some ways we can combat obesity, particularly childhood obesity, in this country?

Considering it doesn't look like health insurance companies are going away soon and they're going to keep raising rates, it's certainly a good idea to be in good shape.

I would love to be over a program in my state that would try to encourage kids to work out more, try to get more physical education in schools, and have more neighborhood recreation centers kids can go to in order to be active. I know a lot of parents are worried about their kids being safe outside so that would help alleviate some fears.
There's a simple solution: put the burden of a healthy lifestyle on the parents, where it belongs. You do that the same way insurance companies rate drivers based on their driving record. More accidents, more moving vehicle violations, higher premiums. If insurers were allowed to jack up the health insurance premiums of parents with fat kids you'd see a real decline of obesity in this country.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:22 AM

484 posts, read 1,217,080 times
I agree that it comes down to the parents. While I'd like to see more PE in schools, it's not the only answer. Kids have to want to participate, which many do not. Heck, a lot of high school teams in my area have a hard time getting enough kids to join. It's still free here but most kids don't want to play because they'd rather spend those few hours after school texting, playing video games, watching TV or getting on the internet, and eating instead of practicing.

I'm not that old and when I was in elementary, we had PE time and recess where we couldn't wait to get our football game started. After school, we almost always played outside.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:51 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
I've given up on the obesity fight. I can control my child, my body, thats it. The rest of the idiots are just going to have to go the way of the dinosaur.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:57 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I've given up on the obesity fight. I can control my child, my body, thats it. The rest of the idiots are just going to have to go the way of the dinosaur.
I would agree with you, however I am afraid my tax money is paying for bypass surgery for people who don't have the self-control to go jogging instead of picking up the remote...

If people actually took care of themselves not only would obesity not be a problem, but the health care crisis would be a very minor issue as well. It is a shame that responsible people are punished for the poor actions of the irresponsible...

Old 11-12-2009, 08:57 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
I wonder how long after healthcare is passed will it take to start seeing studies which confirm the obvious, that fat people are prone to health issues...

Dam, that was quick, it didnt even take passing of the bill to tell us what we all knew..

Old 11-12-2009, 08:58 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
I'm against mandatory PE in school. I think that kids need to get more focused on academics, that stuff can be taken care of outside of the school environment.

I had mandatory PE twice a week the entire time I was in school, and considered it pretty pointless. My kids didn't have it at all after 6th grade, and I agree with terminating the requirement.

For validation of my sentiment, California has mandatory PE in school. Since California government can be counted on to be on the wrong side of practically any issue, this should seal the discussion:

Mandatory P.E.: Gym isn't just dodge ball anymore - Sacramento Living - Sacramento Food and Wine, Home, Health | Sacramento Bee (http://www.sacbee.com/847/story/2307604.html - broken link)

Old 11-12-2009, 08:59 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I would agree with you, however I am afraid my tax money is paying for bypass surgery for people who don't have the self-control to go jogging instead of picking up the remote...

If people actually took care of themselves not only would obesity not be a problem, but the health care crisis would be a very minor issue as well. It is a shame that responsible people are punished for the poor actions of the irresponsible...
Like I previously stated, it becomes yet another "nanny state" issue.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:03 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Studies suggest overweight kids are coronary time bombs - CNN.com

What are some ways we can combat obesity, particularly childhood obesity, in this country?
The original question was, what can we do? Instead of lamenting the problem, suggesting to others what they can do, how about ideas on what YOU can do.
David Katz MD
Here is something you can do. Do you know a teacher, are you a teacher, do you know anyone on a school board. The ABC and Nutrition Dectectives are simple things, but effective. Not just in teaching kids, but thru the kids, their parents. At least look at it, if you're not willing to do anything, hey, what do you think?

Old 11-12-2009, 09:05 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Like I previously stated, it becomes yet another "nanny state" issue.
Agreed...which is why the government should not be involved in any of these issues (obesity or health care). If someone (or someone's kids) have a problem, it is their responsiblity and theirs alone to find a solution/pay for the consequences of their poor lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies