Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 02:42 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Good on them! I hope for one of two outcomes:

1. They win and get their funding back.

2. They lose and we get to start stripping funding from all the war contractors and other scum corporations who are guilty of criminal acts. Here's a list.
If #2 happens I'll eat my hat (though that would be pretty great)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 02:43 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post

why would you even hope for outcome #1?
Because I think the law was wrong. I think it was a despicable partisan ploy. I don't remember any of the same people getting outraged enough to write laws against any other organization that had individuals allegedly commit crimes. And when our legislators start singling out organizations with potentially unconstitutional laws for purely partisan reasons, this nation is in a heap load of trouble.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:46 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
In an attempt to regain the millions in funding it lost in the wake of a hidden-camera scandal, ACORN is suing the federal government over congressional legislation that cut off funding to the community organizing group.

ACORN Sues Over 'Unconstitutional' Funding Cuts By Congress - FOXNews.com

If Acorn is sueing...doesn't that mean they also are vonerable to having to asnwer some question.....
Yes, its unconstitutional for ACORN not to get free taxpayer money simply by their existence.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:59 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Shouldn't we then start defunding KBR, Haliburton, Blackwater, Lockheed Martin, and myriad of other organizations due to scandals (everything from prostitution to rape)? I'm not a lawyer so I may be completely wrong, but isn't it illegal to have this double standard on the sole basis politics? Also their (ACORN's) argument does make sense...
The thing is if the court rules the Law legal, the Obama Admin will likely only try and apply it to ACORN which would be illegal.

But only Congress could call him on this illegality and they are not likely to do that.

We do no live in a Country where the Rule of Law matters much anymore.

Have you seen all the right wingers in this forum that are more than happy to blow off the Constitution as long as they can stick it to the other side?

Old 11-12-2009, 03:04 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
Here is Alan Grayson fighting for the Rule of Law and the Constitution on this very subject.

Right wingers are making a big mistake bashing this man. It takes enourmous guts to take on the status quo and ruling elites.

YouTube - Grayson v. Broun on the Constitution

Old 11-12-2009, 03:08 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Here is Alan Grayson fighting for the Rule of Law and the Constitution on this very subject.

Right wingers are making a big mistake bashing this man. It takes enourmous guts to take on the status quo and ruling elites.

YouTube - Grayson v. Broun on the Constitution
When someone is insulting, disrespectful and wrong, we say so, and when they are right we say so. Just because he was sane once in his life, does not mean we excuse him when he spouts hateful partisan rhetoric.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:12 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,474,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
When someone is insulting, disrespectful and wrong, we say so, and when they are right we say so. Just because he was sane once in his life, does not mean we excuse him when he spouts hateful partisan rhetoric.
*Switches radio to Rush Limbaugh*

Old 11-12-2009, 03:15 PM

301 posts, read 208,615 times
If Orly Taitz can file law suits so can Acorn.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:25 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Because I think the law was wrong. I think it was a despicable partisan ploy. I don't remember any of the same people getting outraged enough to write laws against any other organization that had individuals allegedly commit crimes. And when our legislators start singling out organizations with potentially unconstitutional laws for purely partisan reasons, this nation is in a heap load of trouble.
PARTISAN ploy? It was DEMOCRATS who cancelled the funding... Are you calling Democrats partisan because Republicans surely couldnt cancel the funding on their own..

Old 11-27-2009, 07:53 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
Looks like ACORN doesn't need to sue for lost funding. The Justice Department has concluded it's OK to keep on paying them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/28/us...rdFQwFuMP5+Gww
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies