Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 01:29 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
I personally think life without parole is much worse than death for many people. Do you know how child molesters are treated in prison? I also think prisons should be producing something. Put all the nearly free labor to use. Doing anything, it doesn't matter what. Make prisons self supporting though.

I think the idea that the Death Penalty deters crime is fictitious. You honestly think a rapist cares about his own life or that people wake up in the morning and are like I would rape/murder someone today but I won't because of the death penalty?

I don't think you can "deter" these kind of people once they have reached that point in life. The issue is much more holistic and these people need the help before they ever get to that point.

I also agree that there is no way you will ever prove a crime beyond the shadow of a doubt.
You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. First you say you're for life in prison without parole, then you say you can't proved beyond a reasonable doubt? So, which is it?

By the way, not all punishments are meant as a deterent. Sometimes, it's just punishment, an eye for an eye, just like the Bible says. If you molest a child or rape/kill someone, you don't deserve the right to be walking this earth, even if it behind bars the rest of your life. Rapists, murders and child molesters are a disease than need to be eradicated, not rehabbed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
bottom line: Violence is never the answer. Hitler thought destroying jews and gays was for the greater good. The fort hood shooter also felt the same way because of his religious leanings. I'm pretty frightened by your violent anger.
whimp!

Old 11-17-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
There have been several gory executions in Florida. A couple where fire shot out of the head of the person being executed, one time the fire shot out several feet high while electrocuting someone.
That's funny. They should put executions on pay-per-view and charge to view them. (hey, that's not a half bad idea....) I'd pay good money to see some child rapist/murder have hi last memory of this earth being flames shooting out his ass.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
It gives the "murderer" (assuming the jury convicted the correct person) the opportunity to breath, eat crap for food the rest of their lives, live in a dirty, mean, boiling hot or freezing cold prison with all the time in the world to think about what they did. It gives them a life of enormous hardship, separation from family or anyone they may love, and, again, gives them countless hours to think about all the things in life they missed and will never again experience. IT'S PUNISHMENT. Some people on death row consider life there so painful that they actually waive their appeals and VOLUNTEER TO BE EXECUTED. Do you think that if "life" were good in prison that anyone would volunteer to be executed?

Would you enjoy life if you were restricted to a small, 6 X 9 cell, all day every day, getting to take a shower twice a week, not being allowed to spend time with loved ones or spend times doing anything you really loved to do, spending the rest of your life in the company of only men in close proximity? Most of us would consider that a very painful life. However, I guess if all life is to you is being able to breathe, eat, sleep, and THINK, and you want nothing more, then life in prison without parole would be a cake-walk.
Yet, unlike their victims whom they brutally murdered, they can still write, read, sing, exercise, communicate with others, get healthcare, get an education, etc. etc. etc.
If LWOP is so bad, why do so many people try to get it.
Kill 'em all, let God sort em out.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:09 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
You sound more like an Independent than a Liberal....My thoughts are in line with yours but I'm no liberal....
I am no conservative and I agree with the liberal theories much more than conservatives one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
When i see how convicted murders are put to death and how many Americans die through terrible illnesses i feel that the murderer gets the better deal. To watch someone die a slow painful death through illness is horrific. Many of these innocent lovely people would want a quick dignified death. I have seen people slowly starve to death when their life support is turned off, yet a conicted murderer who tortures and kills their victims are given a quick "dignified" death.
Execution is the only real answer for these psychopaths and long slow death is NOT how our loved ones should die.
We should be debating the right to die in dignity for our loved ones destined for slow painful deaths and NOT whether the Scum of the world should get a free pass by just going to prison and living each day... a right they took away from innocent people.
Exactly. I think we take an eye for an eye approach. If you rape a girl...expect the same....

Quote:
This Life without parole gives the murderer the one thing he denied his victims........... LIFE!
Exactly. As I stated in my OP. You take away someone elses right to life, then you should not have it either.

Quote:
Have you ever seen the conditions a lifer has or even the ones on death row going through their appeal process. They are doing very nicely. Can even get religion or education. The same cannot be said for the dead victim or their family. They will never have a complete life ever again.

So who is paying for the education of these people? Us of course!

Quote:
It gives the "murderer" (assuming the jury convicted the correct person) the opportunity to breath, eat crap for food the rest of their lives, live in a dirty, mean, boiling hot or freezing cold prison with all the time in the world to think about what they did. It gives them a life of enormous hardship, separation from family or anyone they may love, and, again, gives them countless hours to think about all the things in life they missed and will never again experience. IT'S PUNISHMENT. Some people on death row consider life there so painful that they actually waive their appeals and VOLUNTEER TO BE EXECUTED. Do you think that if "life" were good in prison that anyone would volunteer to be executed?

Would you enjoy life if you were restricted to a small, 6 X 9 cell, all day every day, getting to take a shower twice a week, not being allowed to spend time with loved ones or spend times doing anything you really loved to do, spending the rest of your life in the company of only men in close proximity? Most of us would consider that a very painful life. However, I guess if all life is to you is being able to breathe, eat, sleep, and THINK, and you want nothing more, then life in prison without parole would be a cake-walk.
If we can make them work-free labor for the city or state then keep em alive. Depends on the crime they committed though and the victims families wants and desires.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:12 PM

952 posts, read 942,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
That's funny. They should put executions on pay-per-view and charge to view them. (hey, that's not a half bad idea....) I'd pay good money to see some child rapist/murder have hi last memory of this earth being flames shooting out his ass.

Perhaps a sentence of Forty years in the Electric chair for these dregs masquerading as humans......

Old 11-17-2009, 02:37 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,215,542 times
Quote:
You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. First you say you're for life in prison without parole, then you say you can't proved beyond a reasonable doubt? So, which is it?

By the way, not all punishments are meant as a deterent. Sometimes, it's just punishment, an eye for an eye, just like the Bible says. If you molest a child or rape/kill someone, you don't deserve the right to be walking this earth, even if it behind bars the rest of your life. Rapists, murders and child molesters are a disease than need to be eradicated, not rehabbed.
There is no pretense by ANYONE that those people convicted of first degree murder are candidates for rehabilitation. And, yes, life in prison without parole ever is indeed PUNISHMENT. That's all it's intended to be.

Where on earth did you get the idea that any state which has the death penalty pursues rehab for people convicted of first degree murder and sentenced to either death or life in prison without parole.

However, there is one flaw with your "eye for an eye" argument. You see, it's absolutly necessary to be 100% you've got the right person when you impose your "eye for an eye" punishment. Therein is the flaw. Our court system does NOT REQUIRE a jury to be 100% sure, positive that they are convicting the real offender, and that brings us back to the FACT that it is impossible to fairly administer the death penalty.

Btw, can you name ANY rehab programs for inmates in any prisons?

Old 11-17-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I am no conservative and I agree with the liberal theories much more than conservatives one.

Exactly. I think we take an eye for an eye approach. If you rape a girl...expect the same....

Exactly. As I stated in my OP. You take away someone elses right to life, then you should not have it either.

So who is paying for the education of these people? Us of course!

If we can make them work-free labor for the city or state then keep em alive. Depends on the crime they committed though and the victims families wants and desires.
The victims families' wants and desires are ALREADY part of the critical decision making regarding any death case today. Have you ever heard of a victim impact statement? Did you know that prosecutors consult with the victims' families on all death cases?

Do you want a convicted murderer doing free labor in your city or neighborhood?

AGAIN, the bottom line is WHAT DO YOU DO ABOUT WRONGFUL CONVICTIONS? How can you be sure that every person the state executes is in fact the murderer? Have you even thought about that?

I know that the gut, emotional feelings when you read about a horrific crime being committed are outrage and a desire to do the same thing to the person who committed the crime. I'm just saying, WHAT DO YOU THINK WE SHOULD DO IN ORDER TO BE ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE THAT THE RIGHT PERSON IS PUNISHED IN ALL CASES? How do we accomplish that task in an imperfect system? I'm serious. What kinds of suggestions do people have to improve the system so there will never be any mistakes and that the people who are executed are ALWAYS the people who did the crime?

Raw emotion is not rational. And we cannot have a justice system based on irrational thought.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:48 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
I'm a liberal that's 100% for the death penalty in some cases.

Why? If a friend or family member was murdered, I would want to see the murderer die.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Yet, unlike their victims whom they brutally murdered, they can still write, read, sing, exercise, communicate with others, get healthcare, get an education, etc. etc. etc.
If LWOP is so bad, why do so many people try to get it.
Kill 'em all, let God sort em out.
LWOP is good for SOCIETY. When society murders an innocent person by "mistake" then we are all murderers.

I just don't understand why you people make the MURDERERS SO IMPORTANT. Why is a murderer more important than an innocent person who has been wrongly convicted? The LUST FOR BLOOD is so strong and so irrational when it comes to the death penalty that people seem to lose their minds. Why in the world would anyone make someone like Charles Manson or Ted Bundy or any serial killer so IMPORTANT that you would sacrifice innocent people in order to kill them? Why not just lock them up, throw away the key and forget they exist? Has it ever occurred to you that NOT giving those people the attention is good enough? Just lock them away, force them into oblivion, and MOVE ON, MOVE AHEAD. You can kill these people 10 different ways, torture them 20 different ways, and it still will NOT bring back the dead, it will never be equal, and behaving in that way just makes YOU exactly like the murderer........not different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies