Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 01:48 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,427,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Too bad for the people who used that money for cash for clunkers or to be added for a home with a tax credit and later find out they won't qualify and have to pay the tax credit back....
One more time: there is nothing to "pay back". Everyone has to pay his taxes and anyone who is paying in because of this glitch is doing so only because he was under-withheld. Most people are over-withheld and probably will barely notice any reduction in their refund.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 01:57 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,485,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
You are technically correct. This was never a tax credit. If was sold that way, however. The government did not lower the marginal tax rates. It was not a gift. It was smoke and mirrors.
More misinformation. MWP is most definitely a tax credit, which is in fact a gift. If single, you get a free $400 taken off your 2009 tax bill. But in the interest of getting that money out into the economy quickly so that it can do some stimulating, the law isn't waiting around for you to deduct it from your tax bill on April 15, 2010, thereby pumping up your refund. Instead, less money is being taken out of your paycheck now. You are simply getting that same $400 credit in current biweekly installments rather than as a lump sum payment next Spring.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:57 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,027,552 times
*sigh* Since I have more than one job, I pray that my tax liability isn't too great. Last year, I wound up owing 2500 combined federal and state taxes. I'm not looking forward to filing my taxes this year especially as I qualify for unemployment benefits.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
Funny how we can throw millions of dollars away on researching radioactive rabbit poo and building turtle crossings and other "stimulating" projects but again the American people are being nickeled and dimed.
Make Work Pay is worth $116 billion. Nickels and dimes to some folks, I guess..

Old 11-17-2009, 02:06 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,027,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
You wanna ignore the ones that arent going to get a refund and are going to have to pay instead. YOu wanna dismiss that by saying more wont. To heck with that ones that will right

wonderful for those that wont and sorry about your luck for those that will
I am currently receiving unemployment benefits and I fear that I may be among those that will owe big time because I have had multiple jobs this year.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Too bad for the people who used that money for cash for clunkers or to be added for a home with a tax credit and later find out they won't qualify and have to pay the tax credit back....
Yeah, a lot of these couples making more than $150,000 a year are going to be wiped out by this. Goes to show what can happen if you don't keep your W-4 up to date...

Old 11-17-2009, 02:19 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,344,746 times
Just simplify the tax code and be done with it. One (or two) brackets, no deductions, no credits, easy peasy.....

Old 11-17-2009, 02:38 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Laughable. That's like saying that since there is no option to keep your car from running out of gas short of stopping at a gas station, the manufacturer should pay to bring you more gas. Making sure that your tank doesn't reach Empty is YOUR responsibility. So is your W-4...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
But....but.....but it's so hard to change my W-4.

If I'm one of those people who filled out his W-4's originally so that I'm on the edge every year and might have to pay in if that $400 wasn't withheld, I reap what I sow when I cut it that close.
No, what's laugable is that the Obama Administration put forth a tax break with strings attached. The expectation that millions of American's would go the extra step of dealing with the company HR department in order to change a W-4 is about as absurd as it gets.

And I think you know that. But the liberal muck between your ears keeps you from acknowledging that this Administration can't get anything right, including a tax break, without tying all kinds of strings to it. I don't recall a single time in my entire life when a tax break from the government required me to line up at the HR department.

You don't realize how foolish you sound by promoting the idiocy coming out of this Administration. Which is precisely why you show up in threads like this. Damage control is is your modus operandi. The fact that you're paid to do that is very telling and downright embarrassing. That's the truly laughable part.

Last edited by AeroGuyDC; 11-17-2009 at 02:49 PM..

Old 11-17-2009, 02:50 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,427,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
No, what's laugable is that the Obama Administration put forth a tax break with strings attached. The expectation that millions of American's would go the extra step of dealing with the company HR department in order to change a W-4 is about as absurd as it gets.

And I think you know this. But the liberal muck between your ears keeps you from acknowledging that this Administration can't get anything right, including a tax break, without tying all kinds of strings to it. I don't recall a single time in my entire life when a tax break from the government required me to line up at the HR department.

You don't realize how foolish you sound by promoting the idiocy coming out of this Administration. Which is precisely why you show up in threads like this. Damage control is is your modus operandi. The fact that you're paid to do that is very telling and downright embarrassing. That's the truly laughable part.
I don't think you know how lacking in knowledge about income taxes you appear to be, an impression I am sure is accurate.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:53 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
I don't think you know how lacking in knowledge about income taxes you appear to be, an impression I am sure is accurate.
Is that right?

Aside from my first post, which is accurate, you don't know anything about my knowledge of income taxes. Correct?

So, come forth oh little one, and tell me how you come to this conclusion?

You can't.

As I said before, this tax break had strings attached to it if the requirment was such that working couples were required to assess the damage to their own personal tax situations. These strings are unacceptable, especially for such a little tax credit. Period. End of statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies