Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 06:35 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,849,062 times

Advertisements

More than $98 billion in improper gov't payments - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091118/ap_on_bi_ge/us_government_waste - broken link)

How anyone can trust gov is beyond me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 06:59 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
On a percent basis that is small potatoes. Too bad I didn't get any of this unofficial stimulus money.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:55 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,854 times
According to the article:
More than $98 billion in taxpayer dollars spent by government agencies was wasted, much of it on questionable claims for tax credits and Medicare benefits, representing an increase of $26 billion from the previous year.
This year's waste is more than last year's, so (to state the obvious) government waste is nothing new ... unfortunately. However, questionable tax credits should be handled in large part by IRS. And waste with regard to Medicare? Hmmmmmmm.
President Barack Obama is expected to sign an executive order within the next week aimed at cracking down on government waste and fraud, particularly in Medicare and other benefit programs.
Sounds good.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:00 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,318,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
According to the article:
More than $98 billion in taxpayer dollars spent by government agencies was wasted, much of it on questionable claims for tax credits and Medicare benefits, representing an increase of $26 billion from the previous year.
This year's waste is more than last year's, so (to state the obvious) government waste is nothing new ... unfortunately. However, questionable tax credits should be handled in large part by IRS. And waste with regard to Medicare? Hmmmmmmm.
President Barack Obama is expected to sign an executive order within the next week aimed at cracking down on government waste and fraud, particularly in Medicare and other benefit programs.
Sounds good.
And so it is written , and so it shall be done lol
Do you still believe in Santa Claus?

Old 11-18-2009, 08:10 AM

1,902 posts, read 2,468,984 times
If they found $98 billion so fast, knowing how gubmint works there is probably twice that much in reality.

This is just another reason that the gubmint must not control our healthcare money. If that was small potatoes, just think what they can do with all our healthcare money year after year after year after year. Building more and more buracracy and agencies and regulations as they go along.

Good luck kids

Old 11-18-2009, 10:48 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
More than $98 billion in improper gov't payments - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091118/ap_on_bi_ge/us_government_waste - broken link)

Lol, that's like saying, "how anyone can trust banks is beyond me" because they get robbed.

Your thread title could just as well have been "Obama to sign executive order cracking down on waste and fraud, impose penalties on contractors".

How come ya didnt write it that way?

Old 11-18-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Lol, that's like saying, "how anyone can trust banks is beyond me" because they get robbed.

Your thread title could just as well have been "Obama to sign executive order cracking down on waste and fraud, impose penalties on contractors".

How come ya didnt write it that way?

I always post it as the title of the article go and check

I was wondering when you was going to arrive with your excuses as to why our gov is wasting billions of dollars. That you appear to want to ignore but claim to trust the gov

Old 11-18-2009, 10:55 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,539,963 times
Quote:

Jadex did you read the entire article. This unfortunately is the norm, however it appears the difference this year is the fact that they have tighted up on their disbursment audits which is why they found so much compared to the previous years.
The largest disburments were for Medicare and fraudulent claims. I would think this is a good thing that their auditing within the same year instead of waiting till next year and have a bigger discrepency.

Edit...sorry typed too fast, didn't realize you posted the yahoo article and not CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/11/...nts/index.html

Some of the larger figures for improper payments were:
• $24 billion for Medicare fee-for service, out of a total of $308 billion
• $18 billion for Medicaid health care for the poor, out of a total of $188 billion
• $12 billion for Medicaid Advantage, out of a total of $77 billion
• $12 billion for unemployment insurance, out of a total of $119 billion
• $12 billion for the Earned Income Tax Credit, out of a total of $48 billion

Old 11-18-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Jadex did you read the entire article. This unfortunately is the norm, however it appears the difference this year is the fact that they have tighted up on their disbursment audits which is why they found so much compared to the previous years.
The largest disburments were for Medicare and fraudulent claims. I would think this is a good thing that their auditing within the same year instead of waiting till next year and have a bigger discrepency.

Edit...sorry typed too fast, didn't realize you posted the yahoo article and not CNN.

White House reports billions of improper payments in 2009 - CNN.com

Some of the larger figures for improper payments were:
• $24 billion for Medicare fee-for service, out of a total of $308 billion
• $18 billion for Medicaid health care for the poor, out of a total of $188 billion
• $12 billion for Medicaid Advantage, out of a total of $77 billion
• $12 billion for unemployment insurance, out of a total of $119 billion
• $12 billion for the Earned Income Tax Credit, out of a total of $48 billion
So the norm is acceptable?

Sorry i dont find that acceptable its shocking with the debt of this country anyone would attempt to make excuses for this.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:06 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
Quote:
I always post it as the title of the article go and check

I was wondering when you was going to arrive with your excuses as to why our gov is wasting billions of dollars. That you appear to want to ignore but claim to trust the gov
I agree that Yahoo news skewed it, not you. Maybe because govt waste grabs more attention than plans to fight it?

Please highlight in my post my "excuses as to why our gov is wasting billions of dollars" and that I "claim to trust the gov".

People rob the govt, but you blame the govt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies