Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2009, 09:03 PM

207 posts, read 324,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Podgorny View Post
Were there any black folks at all living in Mayberry? I never saw any, but maybe I wasn't watching at the right time. It's sort of like SEC football games. The only black faces I ever see when I watch them are the guys on the field. Apparently black people living in the South are not football fans.
Is it our fault they don't come to games? We aren't forcing them to stay out you know. And as for Mayberry, are we not allowed to have any shows that have all whites in them? What a stupid point. There were plenty of shows from up North that were free of blacks as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I moved to the South when I was 2 and got out as fast as possible when I was 18. While the stereotypes are not universally true, when you grow up in the 1990s having crosses burned on your lawn, bricks thrown through your windows, and being harassed in school without any intervention from your teachers because your family *dared* dirty their community with your Jewishness, there's a problem.

I now live in Massachusetts and really appreciate the fact that I was able to live in a hell hole- it makes me appreciate this state and these people all the more.
Sure. In the South that happens all the time .

Old 11-23-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Or different noses like those Hutus and Tutsi tribes that were killing each other a few years ago based on physical characteristics.

In this country it's the white people who get the rap because we are the majority and have had the upper hand for most of the country's existence.

There's always a mirror image. Slavery wouldn't have ended without the strength of the white abolitionists and Civil Rights couldn't have come about without the majority supporting it, either.
Are Japanese people supposed to feel bad for their racism? Are they supposed to feel guilty for having "the upper hand" for most of their history in Japan?

Old 11-23-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Yeah, but more so down South. Kids allegedly being barred from the pool vs the Jena 6 or a jop with his head in the 1800's? hmm. As I said the North does have its fair share of issues: the shooting of the black guy outside of a club in NY, alleged police brutality in Phil, the PA pool incident, the string of "noose incidents," etc. These however are relatively mild and rare. The reasons things like these are so high profile is because you wouldn't expect this in the NE.

It wasn't even that big of news, but just a "oh by the way" type of thing, and I never heard about it again.

A month or so ago I read an article about some kids in Virginia (one of them actually black) arranging pieces of sod in front of an elementary school to spell "white power" and other racist words, as well as to create a swastika. The city of Henderson, NC even has a listing for the KKK in its phonebook! On Nov. 20, 2009 the Huffington Post said that the KKK planned to hold a rally before an Ole Miss game. Last year members of the KKK severely beat a Hispanic teen in a Kentucky for no reason at all.

Southern Poverty Law Center's hate group map:

You should really take a look at their website: Southern Poverty Law Center

Ugggghhhhh! Okay this is the LAST time I am going to say this !!!!! Of course there is going to be less incidents of racism in the North when you have less blacks up there to show racism towards! This whole argument we are having is really pointless, in the sense that it really isn't fair to compare the two regions.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:12 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,215,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmo1984 View Post
Ill be totally honest for the sake of this post, Im really not trying to be negative-
Im from Massachusetts, Ive spent extensive time in the south, and I think that the South is way behind in many, many ways (excluding a few, select places). I find many southerners to be ignorant, and supportive of ideologies that are highly destuctive for our society, and for others around the world- like the hundreds of thousands who have died in Iraq since 2003.
I find most of the south to be crime ridden, and that southern states do little compared to northern states to help poor people- making their problems worse.
I find southern cities often tend to extremes between extremely sterile and often gated- to extremely dangerous and filthy.
I hate the car culture/sprawl way of life.

I know I'm being negative- but Im just being honest about how I feel. Its not the south per se,but trends that are/have been going on there for some time.

And btw, I really dont mind being considered a Communist Massachusetts liberal.
Hey, I'm from the South.........born and raised in the South. Live most of my life in the South. And I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
This is a great response. I think these events cannot be easily removed from our minds. These are very powerful images. As you mentioned, I wonder how many Southern residents are even aware of these events?
What are you guys trying to drive at here? We have already established that it is unfair to compare the two regions (of course the area with more ethnic diversity is going to have the most racism). So why do we keep discussing this? I see Northerners coming on here and making the same irrelevent finger pointing arguments. Why don't you finger point at the racism that occurs in Latin America? Why don't you finger point at the racism that occurs in Asia?

What are you trying to accomplish? What do you want southerners to do in order to feel fully ashamed about our past? Do you want to punish us? Do want us to acknowledge that we are inferior to the rest of the world? What do you want?

Old 11-23-2009, 10:24 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Actually the South isn't nearly as bad as those who claim to be from the South on C-D. They put the South back decades & truly do more harm to the South in their really dumb posts.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:10 AM

805 posts, read 1,509,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Actually the South isn't nearly as bad as those who claim to be from the South on C-D. They put the South back decades & truly do more harm to the South in their really dumb posts.

What about black-on-white crime? Or do you think that is non-existent?

The media refuses to report it. Do you actually think white people are the only race that is the perpetrator and never the victim of any race crime? Or is it because you still blame whitey for colonizing America? And minorities are justified in retaliation?

Try moving to another continent that whitey DID NOT colonize. Hint: Asia. You'll see how they do things there, such as hanging in Singapore for having an ounce of marijuana in your socks, or beating up black students in Nanjing just because they were flirting with Chinese girls.

Why are you so beholden of non-white races? Isn't that racism?

You should be looking at ALL crimes withOUT discrimination.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:22 AM

96 posts, read 130,574 times
Aqua0 makes many excellent points. The black crime rate is higher than any other demographic by a large degree (FBI yearly crime reports break crimes down into race, look them up). This is never reported by the liberal press.

Back before Time magazine became a liberal propaganda rag even they reported on it (1958)
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...0262-1,00.html
This has been a problem essentially forever that the media ignores.

Don't wonder why whites tend to treat blacks badly in the south, whites are victims of a never ending string of black crime. When you're victimized by one racial group well above all others, you're going to dislike that group. Welcome to reality.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:34 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wethrowpie View Post
Aqua0 makes many excellent points. The black crime rate is higher than any other demographic by a large degree (FBI yearly crime reports break crimes down into race, look them up). This is never reported by the liberal press.

Back before Time magazine became a liberal propaganda rag even they reported on it (1958)
National Affairs: THE NEGRO CRIME RATE: A FAILURE IN INTEGRATION - TIME
This has been a problem essentially forever that the media ignores.

Don't wonder why whites tend to treat blacks badly in the south, whites are victims of a never ending string of black crime. When you're victimized by one racial group well above all others, you're going to dislike that group. Welcome to reality.
The number of serial killers, sex offenders and rapists are highest among Whites. Which statistics do you want to look at? We can always pick and choose statistics and then try to make a claim on that. And you are saying that whites poor treatment of Blacks in the South is justified because they were victims of Black crime first. Wow! It's statements like this that don't do the South justice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies