Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 12:19 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,452,545 times

Advertisements

#1. A race can't commit a crime. An individual commits a crime.

Find another way to explain the crime spike. Unemployment sounds like a better indicator of crime than something like "race" which can't motivate a criminal act. You would have to prove that "race" is an emotion or an action which would motivate someone to behave criminally.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:39 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,993,500 times
Nothing to do with race but this is scary:

Stickups and Burglaries Are on the Rise—at Work
Getting Robbed at the Office - WSJ.com

Old 11-19-2009, 12:47 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalela View Post
I would say it has more to do with economy. Poor people are generally more voilent and prone to criminal acts because they have less to lose and in America, unfortunately, blacks are more poor than other races, specially whites, on average.
It has a lot to do with environmental racism.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:52 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,392 times
Blacks are about 12% or 13% of the population in this country yet commit over 50% of the violent crime. Economics cannot be blamed for this because there are more poor whites in this country than poor blacks.

It's true that there is less crime in middle and upper class black neighborhoods but there is still more crime than there is in upper and mddle class white neighborhoods. There is more crime in poor black neighborhoods than there is in poor white neighborhoods. There are more active ethics investigation of blacks in Congress than whites as a percentage of their numbers in Congress.

In New York City, not a majority black city, during the fist three months of 2009, 52 percent of all people stopped for questioning were black, nine percent were white. Blacks are 24 percent of the population but were 52 percent of all stops.

New York City Crime reports for this period obtained from victims and witnesses indicate that blacks commit about 82 percent of all shootings and 72 percent of all roberries. Whites commit about 5 percent of all violent crimes. Whites make up about 35 percent of the city's population.

People like to say that they are poor and that's why they commit more crime or that racism is to blame but there is something more going on here than economics or racism. Those who talk about black culture may be a little closer to the truth. As long as we keep lying about the problem there will be no solution. Only when we accept the truth can we begin to look at possible solutions.

Crime in the black community is more of a social pathology. Blacks also have a 70% illegitimacy rate, a recent CDC report indicates that blacks account for 71% of reorted ghonorrhea cases and almost half of chlamdia and syphillis cases in 2008:

Sex infections still growing in U.S., says CDC | General News | Comcast.net (http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20091116/NEWS-US-SEX-DISEASES-USA/ - broken link)

These are all the result of social pathologies. I congratulate the OP for attempting to open up an honest dialog regarding these things. The majority of blacks are not social pathologists (did I just make up a phrase?). We need to make a distinction just as we do between radical Islamic extremists and everyday Muslims or Christian extremists and everyday Christians.

I've done a lot of thinking, reading and research on this and I've got some ideas which I may share if this doesn't become another bash blacks thread. Although I imagine many folks would not like my ideas anyway but it does seem to me that something has to be done. Also, I think it is difficult to talk about this problem without it seeming as though we are bashing blacks. Sometimes I fall into that myself. I become frustrated because of the denial. I try to get people to admit that there is a problem so that we can discuss solutions.

- Reel

Old 11-19-2009, 12:58 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
non violence has been preached really well to wasps. but not AA. mr king started out great. a godly man and a man of non violence. what happened? children are not born hating it has to be carefully cultivated in the community and home. hate does not wait for the right color to pop up any color will do.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:05 PM

2,087 posts, read 1,766,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I think it depends some on the nature of the black population. There are several places with high populations of Black Caribbean or Black African immigrants that aren't crime-ridden. Places that mostly have solid black families aren't too bad with crime.

Still the black population in America is disproportionately likely to hold some characteristics that correlate to crime. These include relative youth, children born outside of wedlock, poverty, and low education. Although you're probably right that another factor is "white flight." Whites, especially in times past, would leave an area if blacks moved in. This likely caused some economic dislocation and spurred crime.

I don't think this is a simple black/white issue though. Many East Asian groups are low in crime. The highly Korean-American town of Palisades Park, New Jersey has a pretty low crime rate.

//www.city-data.com/city/Palisa...ew-Jersey.html

The highly Chinese-American town/suburbs of San Marino and Monterey Park are also below average in crime.

//www.city-data.com/city/Monter...alifornia.html
//www.city-data.com/city/San-Ma...alifornia.html

Likewise places with large Central American populations vary widely, but are sometimes quite high in crime.

crime is much more directly tied to socio-economics than race. Just happens that AA's tend to be on lower side of that scale. Race is really a mute issue in the topic

Old 11-19-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
White Flight happens for a reason.

Those who cram diversity down our collective throats need only look at racial makeup of the cities with high crime rates to understand.

Statistics don't lie.

If it comes down to diversity or protecting my family from the criminal scum of this earth.....well I believe you know the answer to that. I flew the coop a long time ago.
perhaps you should understand how to actually read statistics before believing them. Race is not the cause factor.

Oh and statistics can lie cheat and steal. They are done by humans.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Economy definately plays a part, but it is also due to a certain mentality many young black people have. It's sort of a chip on their shoulder, as if they were doomed from birth to be criminals. I always here this excuse, how they were raised poor and had so little opportunity. Well, I was raised poor and have had to fight for every single thing I have ever gotten. It would have been much easier to go the route of crime to get the things I wanted, but my common sense told me what path was the safe path. Perhaps this is the problem, a general lack in common sense or planning. Perhaps these people live a little too much according to what's best at the moment to accomodate their needs. I simply don't really know the whole answer.

Maybe you should read about the culture of poverty and the culture of AA's before making a carte blanche statement.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:12 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,885,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalela View Post
I would say it has more to do with economy. Poor people are generally more voilent and prone to criminal acts because they have less to lose and in America, unfortunately, blacks are more poor than other races, specially whites, on average.
It is wrong to stereotype poor people in this way. There are many poor people who are law abiding and who work very diligently to teach their children to be good citizens. This is a tired old excuse for criminal behavior. If poor people were really the culprits, there would be regular shootouts at food banks and soup kitchens.

Factors in crime may be low intelligence (an inability to see consequences of actions), impulsivity, poor moral character, and degenerate families.

Look at the criminal activity of black athletes and black rappers -- they are millionaires but they bring their cultural baggage with them. Certainly one cannot say that "poverty" is motivating their crimes.

Last edited by chattypatty; 11-19-2009 at 01:22 PM..

Old 11-19-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
You read into my statement way too much. High crime rates appear to correlate directly with certain racial makeups. The crime rate is the reason I moved into the suburbs, not the racial makeup. If the city were majority black and crime rates were consistent with those of majority white cities, then I would have never moved away.

the crime was high because you lived in a poorer area, likely close to an area with more wealthy people. the distance between the haves and have nots financially is a great determination of crime.

NH lowest crime rate and smallest income gaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies