Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 11:34 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times

Advertisements

Although her Atlanta area restaurant is relatively young and most likely prone to new start-up headaches, one of the things that McGinnis never expected was the way that some of her African-American customers failed to leave behind a tip or gratuity. Almost right away McGinnis, a 38-year-old former social worker turned entrepreneur, noticed the difference between the tips she received from her African-American and white clientele.

Does race play a role in the way we tip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 11:37 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,091,500 times
Blacks rarely tip. Why? I don't know. It's just the facts.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:40 AM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Blacks rarely tip. Why? I don't know. It's just the facts.
My wife complained of this as a waitress. Especially if a large family gets the buffet, even if they are demanding of her, they leave no tip. It could have just been the area in South Carolina we were living in at the time. <shrug>

Old 01-26-2010, 11:41 AM

96 posts, read 270,328 times
maybe they're french.
the international travel industry says americans and japanese are good tippers and the french are bad ones.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:47 AM

631 posts, read 1,290,966 times
that's because in france they mandate a 15% gratuity on your restaurant bill

I don't think it has as much to do with their race as it does their socio-economic status.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:53 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,318,057 times
Wasn't there a class action lawsuit against the Denny's chain, because wait staff didn't want to serve the black customers for fear of being stiffed?

Old 01-26-2010, 11:57 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Wasn't there a class action lawsuit against the Denny's chain, because wait staff didn't want to serve the black customers for fear of being stiffed?
There have been a few lawsuits.

Denny's - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-26-2010, 12:04 PM

19,528 posts, read 9,546,813 times
Are we talking as a tipper or the tippee ?
Actually, I don't care who waits the tables. If they're friendly and do the job, I give decent tips.

I've never had to wait on tables, but if I did..... hmm.. I'd try to do my best but my hands aren't the steadiest

Old 01-26-2010, 12:05 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,861,848 times
Although different from the reported story, I almost always tip unless I receive horrible service (sometimes I wanted to walk out)... I give about 15% tip but have been known to tip quite generously if the service was awesome (which rarely ever happens)... its weird that the wait staff demand tip, I have been to places and left a tip and they were surprised (I suppose that they thought we (by our skin color) wouldn't tip)... I wouldn't blame them, most people I know of my skin color don't tip or tip poorly... I did used to work as a pizza deliverer and the tips were just plain HORRIBLE (you people know who you are)... they give like $1 regardless of whether they were white or black... the wealthy middle-class neighborhoods gave $2... I delivered maybe 5-6 pizzas a night and didn't get paid much at all and even less so on tips... I even got COINS for tips several times, talk about cheap... with that, I should of said pickup your own dang pizza...

Old 01-26-2010, 12:08 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,343,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Although her Atlanta area restaurant is relatively young and most likely prone to new start-up headaches, one of the things that McGinnis never expected was the way that some of her African-American customers failed to leave behind a tip or gratuity. Almost right away McGinnis, a 38-year-old former social worker turned entrepreneur, noticed the difference between the tips she received from her African-American and white clientele.

Does race play a role in the way we tip?
You're dang right it makes a difference! I once had a part time job driving a cab. Blacks never...and I mean NEVER tipped me!

Hispanics were bar none THE BEST tippers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies