Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 02:58 PM

18,134 posts, read 25,314,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerospace320 View Post
Hi, first time poster. I am a 20 year old black male in Houston. Currently, I am a senior in college and over the past few years have begun to learn about the issues "good" young black males seem to face. I am not going to explain or discuss them, because there are threads all over the place about it.
What are you smoking dude?

How about we, as americans, solve whatever problem you think there is that would make a group of educated americans leave the country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 03:02 PM

11 posts, read 15,393 times
Quote:
My question is, why don't young black men try living in other countries? I am personally considering possibly moving to Canada or Australia.
Why not move to a successful majority Black country?

Old 11-21-2009, 03:02 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,080,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
i'm amazed that african-americans think there is a negative bias in america against them when most people are very tolerant and they are seen as americans. you evidently do not realize this.

Amazed, I'm simply amazed that you are amazed.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
London has significant racism.
Most of the violent crime in London is done by Blacks.

If he doesn't want to experience "significant racism" why not go live in a successful Black country such as the Congo?

Quote:
I just hear/read that there are other cities and areas in the US where there seems to be a sort of underlying bias/sterotype against black males, and wonder why they don't seek to avoid it.
Who do you think causes such stereotypes?

Old 11-21-2009, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasNJ12 View Post
Why not move to a successful majority Black country?
Of course the implication is that there are none...

What was I saying about being amazed?

Old 11-21-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Really? Liberia? One of the most violent countries on the continent? There's certainly nothing wrong with doing humanitarian work but there are less violent more stable countries in Africa. I hear Rwanda is starting to come into it's own. South Africa would be a little more comfortable too.
Of course South Africa would be more comfortable it was established and modernized by White folks.

I find it ironic the OP talks about the bias facing Black Americans and then wants to flee to another majority-Black country.

Old 11-21-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Most of the violent crime in London is done by Blacks.

States one ignoramus quoting an ignoramus who claims that a place that they admittedly have never visited is this that or the other.

I'm getting more amazed by the second.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:38 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,245,195 times
Quote:
I asked mostly because I wanted to get other peoples ideas of this option for young black males in general, not so much in my personal case.

Also, it isn't as if I dislike living here. Houston is a great city. I just hear/read that there are other cities and areas in the US where there seems to be a sort of underlying bias/sterotype against black males, and wonder why they don't seek to avoid it.
My cousin left for Germany over 10 years ago. Married a gorgeous German woman who gave him 2 beautiful little girls. Also lived in France for some time. After he and the wife divorced, he traveled much of Europe and Japan as a dancer/performance artist. When he came back to Houston earlier this year, he basically became a hermit.

Yep, the reverse-culture shock was that bad for him. According to him, it wasn't until he got back stateside that he once again felt old familiar burden of having to carry his race around everywhere he goes. I think when he decides to head back abroad, I'm going with him.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:04 PM

49 posts, read 83,729 times
Quote:
Of course South Africa would be more comfortable it was established and modernized by White folks.

I find it ironic the OP talks about the bias facing Black Americans and then wants to flee to another majority-Black country.
Did you even read my posts? How are Canada and Australia majority black countries? Did you mean another minority-black country? If so, then I have already explained that I have no desire to live in a monolith block of the same people. I like diversity, and I have no problem with other races. I dont go around assuming things about people because of their race, but it seems that some people in this country still do it to me and young black men in general.

The entire point of this thread isn't to bash the US, or any race in this country. I am just wondering why people who feel bias againt them would stay and accept it/ignore it, instead of moving to a place where they wouldn't feel that bias?

Also, it isn't as if I am deadset on moving. If I do move, I would take other things into account. I just kind of stumbled upon some of the threads in this forum, and the question came into my mind.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:08 PM

49 posts, read 83,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSykes View Post
My cousin left for Germany over 10 years ago. Married a gorgeous German woman who gave him 2 beautiful little girls. Also lived in France for some time. After he and the wife divorced, he traveled much of Europe and Japan as a dancer/performance artist. When he came back to Houston earlier this year, he basically became a hermit.

Yep, the reverse-culture shock was that bad for him. According to him, it wasn't until he got back stateside that he once again felt old familiar burden of having to carry his race around everywhere he goes. I think when he decides to head back abroad, I'm going with him.
Yes, that is what I mean. Why wouldn't more black men leave the burden? Why stick it out or accept it/ignore it? I just don't understand what the pros are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies