Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 08:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
In WWII, EVERYONE had to make sacrifices.

That was the last major war that we ended with a clear cut victory,also.

-----" light is the task when many share the toil "-
But it's different today. Class warfare seems to be demanding that those with more pay more. Those with less will outnumber those with more soon enough. Then what ?

Nothing good will come of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 09:15 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,113 times
I don't a gree with this. Everyone should have a stake in the "game".

HOwever, we shouldn't be funding war at this point. Actually we should have been done in Afghanistan a long time ago, but alas we were too busy in Iraq to focus on what we SHOULD have been focusing on.

My only thing on that is, if the "why" we went to war is for 'big business" then that war should be funded by the busiensses that made billions of it..

Old 11-21-2009, 09:21 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
Here is an interesting new proposal to pay for the military. The suggestion from a top ranking Senator is that troops in Afganistan should be paid for by those making over $200,000 per year since "they have done well".

Upper-Bracket Tax May Be Needed for Afghan War Cost, Levin Says - Bloomberg.com

What thinkest you? Should national defense be funded only by certain segments of the population?
Well, since they pay for essentially everything else...is that your logic? Or is this comment motivated by envy?

Old 11-21-2009, 09:31 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,888,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
In WWII, EVERYONE had to make sacrifices.

That was the last major war that we ended with a clear cut victory,also.

-----" light is the task when many share the toil "-
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
I don't a gree with this. Everyone should have a stake in the "game".

HOwever, we shouldn't be funding war at this point. Actually we should have been done in Afghanistan a long time ago, but alas we were too busy in Iraq to focus on what we SHOULD have been focusing on.

My only thing on that is, if the "why" we went to war is for 'big business" then that war should be funded by the busiensses that made billions of it..
Every one has got a stake in this. Except, of course, the people living off welfare unfairly. They have no stake in anything as they are not working and contributing. And no, I'm not talking of the people legitatmately in need.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:35 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Because of the ubiquitous dependence of U.S. society on the electrical power system, its vulnerability to an EMP attack, coupled with the EMP’s particular damage mechanisms, creates the possibility of long-term, catastrophic consequences...

The time required for full recovery of service would depend on both the disruption and damage to the electrical power infrastructure and to other national infrastructures. Larger affected areas and stronger EMP field strengths will prolong the time to recover. Some critical electrical power infrastructure components are no longer manufactured in the United States, and their acquisition ordinarily requires up to a year of lead time in routine circumstances...

Electrical power is necessary to support other critical infrastructures, including supply and distribution of water, food, fuel, communications, transport, financial transactions, emergency services, government services, and all other infrastructures supporting the national economy and welfare. Should significant parts of the electrical power infrastructure
be lost for any substantial period of time, the Commission believes that the consequences are likely to be catastrophic, and many people may ultimately die for lack of the basic elements necessary to sustain life in dense urban and suburban communities. In fact, the Commission is deeply concerned that such impacts are likely in the event of an EMP attack unless practical steps are taken to provide protection for critical elements of the electric system and for rapid restoration of electric power, particularly to essential services.
http://www.empcommission.org/docs/A2...ission-7MB.pdf

Imagine a whole year before critical electrical power could be restored. Millions of people would die within a few months. Mass hysteria would take over and most likely people would resort to their animalistic nature. Robbery, murder, rape, etc. would run rampant and it could very likely lead to a catastrophic failure of, at the minimum, our nation and possibly the world. Human extinction would be a very real possibility. Shouldn't everyone do everything they can to stop such nonsense? The fact that a single ballistic missile could achieve this in <1 hour there is no turning back and allowing rouge states hell bent on death and destruction to hold that power in their hands is not an option.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:38 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/98xx/doc9...tes_Letter.pdf

A breakdown of who pays what over the past 3 decades.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Every one has got a stake in this. Except, of course, the people living off welfare unfairly. They have no stake in anything as they are not working and contributing. And no, I'm not talking of the people legitatmately in need.

I wasn't neccesarily saying that they didn't. I"m by no means wealthy, but I certainly have to pay taxes so I too have a stake in the game.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:42 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
"My only thing on that is, if the "why" we went to war is for 'big business".

What a crock. Please provide something to support such an accusation.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:50 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,812,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperPeninsulaRon View Post
Here is an interesting new proposal to pay for the military. The suggestion from a top ranking Senator is that troops in Afganistan should be paid for by those making over $200,000 per year since "they have done well".

Upper-Bracket Tax May Be Needed for Afghan War Cost, Levin Says - Bloomberg.com

What thinkest you? Should national defense be funded only by certain segments of the population?
That's a better idea than having the middle class taxpayer fund it - but how about shutting down the war-machine, and try to co-exist peacefully with the fellow habitants of this physical dimension?

Old 11-21-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"My only thing on that is, if the "why" we went to war is for 'big business".

What a crock. Please provide something to support such an accusation.

Really.. are you seriously asking this question.

Let's see... the big companies that get government contracts to make weapons, etc.

How about all the contracted companies that are now getting paid million.. or I should say billions to do work in Iraq

When there is war, there are huge profits to be made.

As far as that being the reason, no there really isn't any tangible proof... I'm not saying there is.. what I'm saying is that you would be nieve to think that it didnt' factor in .

War is neccesary to PROTECT a country.. however Iraq was , as we found out later, no real threat. So why then was a President so intent on going in? i'm just sayin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies