Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 03:09 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Yet that is what he always said is it not.

All of it I think is great
Right - because those were campaign SLOGANS, not the platform (which would be the part where the DNC took a stand on issues, as I outlined several posts ago).

When you say "all of it" do you mean you personally agree with the 10 tenets or do you mean you agree with the RNC requiring its candidates to endorse 8/10 tenets in order to run as a Republican?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 03:41 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,229,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I'm sorry, but requiring a loyalty test to a political party can only be considered a good thing by people who advocate totalitarian government. Republicans in Minnesota aren't exactly the same to Republicans in Florida or Republicans in California or Republicans in Michigan. People in those states or districts elect a candidate because he reflects the people's goals, opinions, desires. The party has a multitude of strategies to enforce an agenda, but this purity pledge is a form a coercion, to what purpose? Do you think a Republican elected official is going to stray far from his party and from his constituents, or is a Republican elected official going to have to make a choice sometimes between what his constituents want, and what the party wants? Should that elected official betray the people who elected him? Because that's what this purity pledge requires. That's no way to support the Constitution and the representative government that elected officials also have to take an oath to uphold and defend.
Not really, those who find these 10 listed items to be objectionable are the same posters who have discussed in multiple threads their disdain for Republicans. I can tell you that Republicans in California would generally support those items.

That isn't the target audience, even though they are the posters generally participating in this thread discussion. The RNC isn't interested in persuading those folks to support their candidates, rather they want to reactivate their base and a chunk of the independent voters.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:25 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times

Loyalty Oath?

Old 11-24-2009, 04:28 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,093,726 times
It's about time they weeded out the RINOs, all wolves in sheeps clothing! I bet the liberals would want to know if some Democrat did not support homosexuality.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:38 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,444,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post

The RNC isn't interested in persuading those folks to support their candidates, rather they want to reactivate their base and a chunk of the independent voters.
They will never, ever, ever attract independents with that agenda. Never. They're more likely to repel independents than attract them with that kind of strict ideology.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
They will never, ever, ever attract independents with that agenda. Never. They're more likely to repel independents than attract them with that kind of strict ideology.

I do believe you are wrong. I was a Republican the became a registered Independent because of the RINOs in the Republican party. Many Republicans became Independents for the same reason and will go back IF they get rid of the Democrats posing as Republicans that have fouled the party.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:08 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,229,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
I disagree with you here, I believe that a lot of the independent voters won't find many of those objectionable, especially if the "current" economic environment hasn't significantly improved by the next election cycle.

Quite a bit of Obama's support was a negative reaction to Bush. Despite the drumbeats of folks like Chris Matthews and Keith Olbermann, most independent voters are now viewing the current circumstance the result of decisions being made by Obama, Reid and Pelosi.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:37 PM

26,221 posts, read 49,072,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
I do believe you are wrong. I was a Republican the became a registered Independent because of the RINOs in the Republican party. Many Republicans became Independents for the same reason and will go back IF they get rid of the Democrats posing as Republicans that have fouled the party.
This sort of talk is patently foolish. There are NO dems posing as GOP'ers. Gimmicks like purity or loyalty oaths are the work of extremists and should concern us all that something is terribly amiss in the GOP, which I think is the case. The GOP was hijacked by a group of religious extremists who want to cast out anyone who does not rigidly align themselves with the narrow dictates of these self-appointed masters of the universe, who in reality are nothing but delusional old fools.

If the tent is going to be big, it HAS to include moderates, has to include those who dislike abortion but want to keep it legal, has to include those who know gay marriage is NOT a threat to anyone or to our nation, has to include those who want to see everyone get access to health care. But by their actions, the GOP is intentionally excluding millions of people who embrace some or all of these moderate positions. That's too bad for the GOP, they'll continue to shrink into a party that increasingly is a hateful circus of angry white whack jobs.

I was always a moderate, always felt there were many ways to skin the cat when solving national issues, almost always voted GOP, always sent money to GOP moderates like John Warner, but today's GOP is a scary mess of greedy vested interests and angry screaming loons who keep veering off ever farther to the right. The Purity Pledge is just the latest example of driving off a cliff.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:44 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,444,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post

I disagree with you here, I believe that a lot of the independent voters won't find many of those objectionable, especially if the "current" economic environment hasn't significantly improved by the next election cycle.

Quite a bit of Obama's support was a negative reaction to Bush. Despite the drumbeats of folks like Chris Matthews and Keith Olbermann, most independent voters are now viewing the current circumstance the result of decisions being made by Obama, Reid and Pelosi.
Re-read what you just wrote.

1. Independent voters won't find many of those things objectionable.
Ok, how does that contradict the contention that the things on that list won't attract independents? Not finding something objectionable isn't remotely the same as finding something attractive.
2. Independent voters are starting to blame Obama, Reid and Pelosi for the current problems facing the country.
Ok, how does that contradict the contention that the things on that list won't attract independents? So they felt negatively towards Bush, and now may feel negatively towards Obama et al. That doesn't mean that they'll like or agree with a single thing on that list. There's no correlation.
So basically you still haven't given any reason that these policies, or the demand that any contender for public office who calls themselves a Republican must adhere to a minimum of 8 of them, will draw in independents.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
This sort of talk is patently foolish. There are NO dems posing as GOP'ers. Gimmicks like purity or loyalty oaths are the work of extremists and should concern us all that something is terribly amiss in the GOP, which I think is the case. The GOP was hijacked by a group of religious extremists who want to cast out anyone who does not rigidly align themselves with the narrow dictates of these self-appointed masters of the universe, who in reality are nothing but delusional old fools.

If the tent is going to be big, it HAS to include moderates, has to include those who dislike abortion but want to keep it legal, has to include those who know gay marriage is NOT a threat to anyone or to our nation, has to include those who want to see everyone get access to health care. But by their actions, the GOP is intentionally excluding millions of people who embrace some or all of these moderate positions. That's too bad for the GOP, they'll continue to shrink into a party that increasingly is a hateful circus of angry white whack jobs.

I was always a moderate, always felt there were many ways to skin the cat when solving national issues, almost always voted GOP, always sent money to GOP moderates like John Warner, but today's GOP is a scary mess of greedy vested interests and angry screaming loons who keep veering off ever farther to the right. The Purity Pledge is just the latest example of driving off a cliff.

Talk about foolish! Your whole post is foolish if you think I believe a word you wrote. From evey post you have written you are about as far from moderate as anyone can get. Many people I know left the Republican party because they felt they not much different than a Democrat. The only thing that will save the Republican Party is to reject liberalism NOT embrace it. It is liberalism that is destroying this country. The crowds Beck and Palin draw is proof the country is thursting for real conservatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies