Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 06:30 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,521,502 times

Advertisements

Are they weird? Great? I saw a news story about one that kind of changed my mind a little bit about them. It actually changed my mind for a little bit and, though they are not for my family, I thought, well they're not so bad for families who want to participate in them. But now I'm watching this documentary, Virgin Tales, and it's awkward and uncomfortable to watch. Why are there girls there as young as 8, 9 years old? The men involved in this purity ball are creepy. The people in the documentary seem so paranoid that they can't think straight. It's God this and God that, but nothing substantial, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 06:33 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
From what I have seen of them, I find them to be creepy.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:06 PM

500 posts, read 376,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
Are they weird? Great? I saw a news story about one that kind of changed my mind a little bit about them. It actually changed my mind for a little bit and, though they are not for my family, I thought, well they're not so bad for families who want to participate in them. But now I'm watching this documentary, Virgin Tales, and it's awkward and uncomfortable to watch. Why are there girls there as young as 8, 9 years old? The men involved in this purity ball are creepy. The people in the documentary seem so paranoid that they can't think straight. It's God this and God that, but nothing substantial, imo.
I've never felt anthing about them and likely never will. Even after reading your opening thread, I have no clue what a purity ball is. My first thought is it's something you put in your washing machine to dispense soap.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:09 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
I think it's ridiculous that a woman's so-called 'purity' is held in such great esteem by so many people. Does that mean after she is touched that she's somehow dirty? It makes it seem as though sex is a bad thing that should be avoided at all costs because it makes the woman inferior.

Then to say that it's ok to have sex with one person is just confusing. The entire concept of virginal purity is bullhokey and nothing more than a means to control.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Edison View Post
I've never felt anthing about them and likely never will. Even after reading your opening thread, I have no clue what a purity ball is. My first thought is it's something you put in your washing machine to dispense soap.
Purity ball - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

they're pretty much commitment ceremonies that fathers and daughters attend. the daughters pretty much promise to stay "pure" until marriage. sometimes rings are involved. the people on this particular documentary I'm watching are creepy, full on "Christian" cons. on the other story I referenced, they were not so intense.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:11 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
I have no idea what a "purity ball" is.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:13 PM

840 posts, read 1,147,801 times
Unless new lives are involved, there are some things in life that shouldn't involve parents. Even if the person is under the age of majority.

Sort of reminds me of that scene from Melancholia where the mother was reprimanded for missing out on her daughter's wedding. Her answer was "When Justine took her first crap on the potty, I wasn't there. When she had her first sexual intercourse, I wasn't there. So give me a break, please, with all your ****ing rituals"

Old 07-25-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I think it's ridiculous that a woman's so-called 'purity' is held in such great esteem by so many people. Does that mean after she is touched that she's somehow dirty? It makes it seem as though sex is a bad thing that should be avoided at all costs because it makes the woman inferior.

Then to say that it's ok to have sex with one person is just confusing. The entire concept of virginal purity is bullhokey and nothing more than a means to control.
oh, I total agree from a secular stand point. most Christians and "Christians" don't see it that way. The difference is Christians don't pick and choose their sins and believe that man is weak, but God forgives. I commend anyone who waits until marriage, but, as you said, sex is natural and premarital sex is not the end of the world.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:19 PM

the family on the docu home schools their children so they can keep God in the curriculum. well, in one scene the loud mouth mom is loudly teaching her kids about liberty and tyranny and how the government can't "kill all children under 2 or lock up all blonde haired people". then in the next scene the daughter is whining about gay rights. I guess they don't believe gay people don't deserve liberty.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:20 PM

723 posts, read 2,194,018 times
I think it's weird but it most certainly is not the strangest thing out there. Disgusting is a father who would abandon their families/daughters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies