Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 08:39 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Well, I don't know about your teenaged boys, but my teenaged boy had no trouble discussing condoms and sex with me. If you keep an attitude of it being healthy and natural, there's no reason to feel uncomfortable discussing it with a parent.
Even some of my son's friends came to me for advice, because their parents refused to talk to them about it. The fact that I'm a nurse probably made them feel more comfortable.
I'm not uncomfortable talking about sex AT ALL--I just don't know many 16-20 year old boys who want to talk about sex with their mom. Seriously. If I was the only option I'd do it, but I'm not, so I'm not sure what your point it. If they wanted to talk with me about it I'd be there for them, but they're more comfortable talking to their dad because he's another guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 08:39 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,030,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
"Fathers make a vow and promise to protect their daughters and guard their virginity. As the fathers are making these vows and promises, they present a purity ring (or other item) to their daughters. These daughters are then under their fathers guard and protection until they are married and replace their purity ring with a wedding ring. The daughters promise their fathers that they will stay pure."

from a site that sells rings

Purity Balls | Pledge your virginity today and let your father be involved.
Virgin: definition - a person, esp a woman, who has never had sexual intercourse (that's from Merriam-Webster)

Uh huh. So an intact hymen signals "purity?" I guess those fathers are such doofuses (plural - doofi?) that they don't think of all the other ways that sexual acts can be performed? Precious Daughter might go to her marriage bed intact, but that doesn't mean she won't be experienced

I suppose those fathers might be under the impression about "purity" in line with the Duggar family, where eldest Duggar son allegedly never even kissed his intended until after the vows.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:41 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Frankly, I wouldn't want my son OR daughter to remain virginal until marriage. One's virginity is not something sacred and holy. I would want my kids to have a healthy, safe and educated attitude
towards sex. Sex is a huge part of marriage and it's important to see if you're sexually compatible before tying the knot.
That's a bunch of poppycock. It's actually a small part. The ability to care, communicate and compromise play far greater rolls in successful marriages then just getting your freak on.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:47 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
nooo. do you have a link/pics. that is the worst.
It was on tv. The purity myth was the name of the show.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:53 PM

808 posts, read 1,877,633 times
Lol I had no idea such a thing existed. When I saw the title of this thread I was thinking of a round object, not a dance.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:54 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
The purity culture and sexual dysfunction.
The Purity Culture and Sexual Dysfunction
Is it any wonder that it really messes with a girl's head, to the point that she can only get off on non-consensual sex?
"Hey, if it's it forced on me, I can't be held responsible for the filth, sin and depravity. Not my fault."
Absolutely shameful.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:54 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I would think that if you raised your daughter right to begin with there is no need for them. Ironically, the very people who need them the most will never have one.

20yrsinBranson
Sooooo, if you have sex before marriage (as the majority of humans do), you weren't "raised right?" If that's what you're saying, I call BS and will now give you two eyerolls.

Maybe they/we were just raised realistically, and taught how to protect ourselves WHEN we decided to have sex. I got that talk from my parents (mother specifically), who raised me just fine thanks, and didn't run out to do it immediately. When I was ready for all of that, I knew exactly how to protect myself - which hasn't failed yet, some 20 years later.

This whole obsession with "purity," and waiting until some piece of gold is on your finger, is really kinda stupid and counterproductive IMO. I had a few Mormon/Christian friends raised with this mindset, and they were usually freakier than the rest of us! One of my Mormon friends was strict about waiting for marriage, but when he started dating my non-religious friend, she convinced him that oral didn't count... took her like 3 seconds to convince him of that, and there went his "purity." Btw, today they are both happily married (to other people) with beautiful children.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:00 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,539,180 times
Quote:
Are they weird? Great? I saw a news story about one that kind of changed my mind a little bit about them. It actually changed my mind for a little bit and, though they are not for my family, I thought, well they're not so bad for families who want to participate in them. But now I'm watching this documentary, Virgin Tales, and it's awkward and uncomfortable to watch. Why are there girls there as young as 8, 9 years old? The men involved in this purity ball are creepy. The people in the documentary seem so paranoid that they can't think straight. It's God this and God that, but nothing substantial, imo.

Oh ..I get it...God is not substantial.....you dismiss faith....

No wonder it creeps you out.

Would you rather a ceremony where dads dress their daughters up like sluts and parade them before strange men and then pledge to never interfere with what they want to do?? Would that be more "real world" for you?

I think MEN standing up to guard the purity of their daughters is an honorable thing.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:01 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,539,180 times
Sons should be pure also....

Old 07-25-2013, 09:03 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,917,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
[/b]
Oh ..I get it...God is not substantial.....you dismiss faith....

No wonder it creeps you out.

Would you rather a ceremony where dads dress their daughters up like sluts and parade them before strange men and then pledge to never interfere with what they want to do?? Would that be more "real world" for you?

I think MEN standing up to guard the purity of their daughters is an honorable thing.
I do have a faith (Judaism), and still think it's creepy. Why do dads have to do EITHER of these weird things? Do you really think if a dad isn't into purity balls, the only alternative is a sl-t ball? And you wonder why we balk at this nonsense, LOL.

How about this: The parent/s only involvement in their child's sex life should be informing them of the basics, including how to protect themselves from STDs & unwanted pregnancies. Beyond that they should only make themselves available to talk; no need for purity dances, sl-t dances, or anything else of the sort. That's how most people I know were raised, both religious and non-religious alike, and it seems to work out pretty well for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies