Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 11:55 PM

30,324 posts, read 51,925,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Yes. It's not the men wearing the burkas or the chastity belts or being locked up in a bower or submitting to virginity tests or having major parts of their genitals removed or being shot for dancing.

Some are, some aren't. People will defend what they're used to. For some, eagerly embracing male protection - father, brothers, husband, klan - is the only survival strategy.
A little off topic, but have you read The Bookseller of Kabul? It offers some very interesting insights, in terms of how both the women and men view their roles in a fundamentalist-Islam society. Wish the author had explored the woman's perspective a little more deeply, but I understand it was the male (head of household) hosting him for this experience. It's non-fiction, btw.

Last edited by gizmo980; 07-26-2013 at 01:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 11:55 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,755,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
How is a woman's choice to have multiple (by that I mean any number over ONE) partners in her lifetime good or bad? It's a personal choice like any other, and as long as you're being safe & it's all consensual, I don't see why it would be negative. Maybe you wouldn't make this choice, but that alone wouldn't necessarily make you any better than them.
I don't mean morally good or bad in some abstract philosophical or religious sense. I'm talking about all the various criteria a woman might choose to judge the quality of her life. Does the freedom to spend her child bearing years bedding a variety of good looking bad boys, instead of choosing one husband/provider and procreating with him, make a woman happier and give her a better life?

Old 07-26-2013, 12:07 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I don't mean morally good or bad in some abstract philosophical or religious sense. I'm talking about all the various criteria a woman might choose to judge the quality of her life. Does the freedom to spend her child bearing years bedding a variety of good looking bad boys, instead of choosing one husband/provider and procreating with him, make a woman happier and give her a better life?
Guess that's subjective isn't it?

Is it possible a lifelong drifter lived a happier life than a wall street exec at the end of the day?

Old 07-26-2013, 01:00 AM

30,324 posts, read 51,925,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Depends on who you ask, I suppose... and you're again being very "black and white" about things, like our only options are to get married & settle down, or "bed a bunch of bad boys." I am almost 37 years old, and neither of those descriptions would fit me! I'm not a virgin, have no burning desire to marry, and ALSO show some restraint and discretion when it comes to dating/sex. Why is it so hard to believe this balance is possible, and why do you think being married is the only path to happiness and/or fulfillment in life?

Now that we're not all dependent on men financially (I have a very nice career myself), we have the luxury of taking our time to find the RIGHT partner. No longer are we restricted to living with our parents forever, or marrying the first decent mate to come along and ask... we can "shop around," and see what's out there before deciding whether or not to marry. That doesn't mean you have to sleep with all of them, but if that's where it goes with some, I see no problem with that either. Again, it is possible to be something between a virgin and a floozy. Furthermore, it is also not uncommon for women (or men) to be very promiscuous in their youth, and eventually go on to marry a nice partner. Anyway, I just think you are seeing things as two extremes, and forgetting about all the gray in the middle.

P.S. Sorry for my use of the word "floozy," but I think it's the only one of that definition C-D will allow.

Last edited by gizmo980; 07-26-2013 at 02:17 AM..

Old 07-26-2013, 01:46 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,187,535 times
Dumb. Really dumb...creepy too.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:00 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,118 times
Extremely weird and creepy.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:51 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,940,833 times
If I disagree, Im intolerant.
if I agree, to opponents I am the cause of America's ills.

so I have no position.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:59 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,107,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
Purity ball - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

they're pretty much commitment ceremonies that fathers and daughters attend. the daughters pretty much promise to stay "pure" until marriage. sometimes rings are involved. the people on this particular documentary I'm watching are creepy, full on "Christian" cons. on the other story I referenced, they were not so intense.

So, no sons. It's ok in their eyes for sons to have premarital sex but not the daughters?

Old 07-26-2013, 05:36 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,381,847 times
Basically a meaningless oath to your father that you'll be a good girl.

Hormones, teenagers, and everyone looking hot at 16 and 17 won't change.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
If you consider women to be a commodity to be bought and sold by men virginity increases her value. If you consider a woman to be a free person virginity is irrelevant.

IMHO - some men prefer virgins so their sexual prowness will never be compared to any other man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies