Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel guilty for being white
Yes, we've always historically been the opressor in society at the minorities expense 20 10.58%
No, my race has no bearing on societal ills 159 84.13%
A little bit 10 5.29%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 04:41 PM

96 posts, read 130,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
. IMO, some people clearly find that having a black man as President is very threatening to them.
I like how the liberal crowd has dismissed Obama's half white heritage completely.

He's the first Mulatto president, not the first black one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 04:41 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
I do not feel guilt for being white. Being white is simply genetic, and something I couldn't possibly have chosen even if I had wanted to. I feel as much guilt about it as I do about having blond hair and blue eyes (OMG A perfect Aryan!) Of course, this means that being black is also simply genetic, and that the hundreds of years in which whites considered blacks sub-par creatures was just as asinine as feeling guilt due to one's race. I do regret the fact that my ancestors probably viewed blacks (and any other non-whites) in this way, but that has nothing to do with the way I view people who aren't white. Plus there's nothing I can do to change that history. All I can do is treat people equally regardless of insignificant things like skin color.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:42 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,216,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wethrowpie View Post
Liberal insanity. Blacks were sold into slavery in Africa by other blacks. Since that's the case, shouldn't blacks 'feel guilty'?
And blacks were enslaved in these great United States........for a long, long time. Then there were the Jim Crowe laws (Do you know what those are?)............and there were the lynchings, etc., etc., the bombings.....and some of those things took place in the not too distant past....the late 1960s.

You're just rationalizing your obvious guilt feelings. Conservative desperation and white nationalist propaganda.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
I like how the liberal crowd has dismissed Obama's half white heritage completely.
And my racist conservative coworkers completely dismiss it, too. Being only half white isn't enough for them to not call him the "N-word" daily.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
And my racist conservative coworkers completely dismiss it, too. Being only half white isn't enough for them to not call him the "N-word" daily.
Rather easy to do, since the left deemed everyone who disagreed with him on ANY given topic 'racist' immediately. Don't pretend this didn't happen.

It continues to this day btw, Jesse Jackson just recently said any black person in congress who votes against nationalized health care 'isn't really black'.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:46 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,216,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I do not feel guilt for being white. Being white is simply genetic, and something I couldn't possibly have chosen even if I had wanted to. I feel as much guilt about it as I do about having blond hair and blue eyes (OMG A perfect Aryan!) Of course, this means that being black is also simply genetic, and that the hundreds of years in which whites considered blacks sub-par creatures was just as asinine as feeling guilt due to one's race. I do regret the fact that my ancestors probably viewed blacks (and any other non-whites) in this way, but that has nothing to do with the way I view people who aren't white. Plus there's nothing I can do to change that history. All I can do is treat people equally regardless of insignificant things like skin color.
And you are MINIMIZING the oppression of black people for MANY YEARS in this country. You try to make it sound as if it was all just about whites "looking down" on blacks. You forget, or perhaps you've never read history, the lynchings, the beatings, the bombings which killed innocent children, the civil rights movement with all the violence which was involved in black people just gaining the "right" to eat at the same lunch counter as whites, and the killing of Martin Luther King......on and on and on.

Please! Do you try to "erase" history with your plaintiff cry that you can't change it. You could at the very least honor it by acknowledging the horror of it.........a horror not easily forgotten by those who suffered the oppression!

Old 11-24-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
And you are MINIMIZING the oppression of black people for MANY YEARS in this country. You try to make it sound as if it was all just about whites "looking down" on blacks. You forget, or perhaps you've never read history, the lynchings, the beatings, the bombings which killed innocent children, the civil rights movement with all the violence which was involved in black people just gaining the "right" to eat at the same lunch counter as whites, and the killing of Martin Luther King......on and on and on.

Please! Do you try to "erase" history with your plaintiff cry that you can't change it. You could at the very least honor it by acknowledging the horror of it.........a horror not easily forgotten by those who suffered the oppression!
Do blacks feel 'guilty' about the hugely inordinate amount of black on white crime in this country?

Old 11-24-2009, 04:49 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,465 times
Quote:
Do blacks feel 'guilty' about the hugely inordinate amount of black on white crime in this country?
Why should they, if we didnt treat them that way, they wouldnt be treating us this way.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:50 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,712,934 times
Quote:
Actually I think most black crime is black on black. It's heart breaking what goes on in poor inner cities.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Rather easy to do, since the left deemed everyone who disagreed with him on ANY given topic 'racist' immediately. Don't pretend this didn't happen.
I don't know that it happened or not; I'm sure some did. But I didn't, and I have no problem with folks complaining about his political views and actions (Heck, I've complained about a couple of them myself). But I do have a problem with people whining about him simply because he's black (sorry, half black). Surely you feel that's just as idiotic as I do. My coworkers could choose plenty of legitimate issues to be angry about, but the fact they choose race most of the time is extremely revealing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies