Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 06:57 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,475,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
I would rather be an environmental terrorist than a person without a planet. I just believe the concerns of the planet trump all others. Any system disrespecting the natural order will ultimately fail.

Maybe if they relocated you...(my apology can be just as ingenuous).
I would gladly relocate Just send me up there with some ruff necks and Drilling equipment. Oh and some Nice firearms for some trophy hunting while I am there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 06:57 PM

529 posts, read 1,892,428 times
Let's see if I can get this straight:

My small internet company can gross roughly 105k per annum.
After I pay for all of my taxes, labor/wages, materials, licensing and other associated overhead costs throughout the year, I find my net coming in at roughly 31k...

Okay:

Now I find an article online dealing with Exxon oil's "net" figures for a "quarter".

Remember..... "net" numbers are the ones that you have "after" you've paid for all of what it takes to do business in the first place. "Net" numbers are what you have, "after" you've paid the bills. These bills include upgrades, construction and development costs and so forth.....

>>> ... Net income amounted to $1.62 per share for the January-March period. That was up from $8.4 billion, or $1.37 per share, a year ago.... <<<

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/business/070426/b042668A.html (broken link)

Now no one is going to sit there and try to BS me into believing that these "poor" oil companies "aren't" responsible for ripping us off.

9.3 billion is quite a "profit"...... and some of that is "my" money.
Remember...... these figures are "after costs"

These numbers are for 1 quarter (one 3 month period).

As a side note:

The tobacco companies sat right in front of Congress and swore that cigarettes weren't addictive.
So I guess it's okay for big oil to do the same.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:21 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,137,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Maybe if the environmentist whackos would not worry about the mating habits of the Carabu or whatever it is, we could drill.
By the way, it's caribou. So, if environmentalists stopped caring about 'whatever it is', we could, in our ignorance, drill drill drill to the center of the earth until the whole surface is awash in black gold. Imagine the plastic! Imagine how big cars will get! Yee-haw!

But, say we pay attention to these mating habits. We notice they are producing only one calf instead of two because of some biological or chemical interruption or intrusion. The population drops. Animals that depended on the caribou are also affected and their populations either fall or exponentiate. An imbalance takes place. The whole ecosystem is out of whack. Birds that migrated to the North Slope in the summer begin to fly to central Alaska instead. Whole rodent populations there are decimated as these birds develop a new diet. Some other migrating bird species die off leaving the Great Plains in six inches of worms. Everybody enjoys the worm bonanza and goes fishing, depleting the rivers. The fish die off and no one gets any brain food, so the whole human population dies off due to stupidity.

Which is exactly the result when one doesn't pay attention to nature. But, who cares! We've got that oil!

Last edited by mhouse2001; 05-16-2007 at 08:18 PM..

Old 05-16-2007, 09:17 PM

340 posts, read 744,879 times
Quote:
You didn't understand my post the last time and your responses came at me at 90 degrees, so you may not get anything out of this post.

Quote:
You complain about everybody bitching about the oil industry and you counter with the exorbitant cost and time involved to drill for oil. People have a right to complain and they have a right to aim their anger towards the oil companies. People want alternatives, but the oil industry doesn't want anyone else to develop them. It is in the nature of big business (and capitalism) to destroy the opposition. Since the majority of oil is used for the production of gasoline (my assumption as I'm not familiar with the industry), people would be better off venting their rage at both the government and the automotive industry. But, none of this will accomplish anything since government is in bed with BOTH industries!
OK, I understand that opinion.. Most companies whether large or small are opposed to competition though. How can someone be happy with the prospect of losing their business, or facing a drastic change in their lifestyle ?? I believe it is human nature to want more money or the best life you can get, why else would most people work so hard for so long...

Quote:
Since the original post spoke about the oil industry, I only hinted at the connection to government and the auto industry. But, as long as all three basically conspire to maximize profits at the expense of the environment and underfund and ignore the exploration of alternatives, there will be no solution and no relief for the consumer.
Oil exploration is private, how can you compel them to spend money on research that would hurt them ?. The auto industry is private, same thing. Maybe the government should be held to some level of responsibility as to finding an alternative, however, that is pushing it, and I don't believe they should take the lead on it. I believe the answer is in the private sector, and since alternatives are cost prohibitive at best, good luck finding someone to make a commitment.

Quote:
Finally, quite a lot of disdain is evident in your "you might upset a reindeer who wanted that particular piece of swampy marsh" statement. I personally have no affinity for swamps. I'm very uncomfortable in Louisiana (sorry). But I would never hold that landscape in such contempt or belittle its value. There's more life in that swamp on the North Slope (for example) than in many cities. Just as one person is not insignificant, one small fish or bird is not insignificant.
Neither is human life. I put it above any animal, although wildlife is a huge part of my life as a hunter and outdoorsman. I do appreciate nature and conservation, however, we have to be reasonable at the same time. You can't put millions of acres of oil bearing land off-limits because you "Might" bring some harm to a small percentage of wildlife.

Quote:
When we get people like some of these other posters who find life to be so meaningless because it isn't human or pretty or popular or common, ALL are endangered. What a pity some people can't see the connection.
I think people are frustrated and rightfully pissed about what a lot of us feel is unreasonable when it comes to environmental protection. It is usually an absolute "NO" on most issues with very little to no compromise with them.. We better start making some changes pretty soon though, or the gas prices today are just an appetizer for the main course that is coming..

Old 05-16-2007, 09:27 PM

959 posts, read 2,360,750 times
Quote:
By the way, it's caribou. So, if environmentalists stopped caring about 'whatever it is', we could, in our ignorance, drill drill drill to the center of the earth until the whole surface is awash in black gold. Imagine the plastic! Imagine how big cars will get! Yee-haw!

But, say we pay attention to these mating habits. We notice they are producing only one calf instead of two because of some biological or chemical interruption or intrusion. The population drops. Animals that depended on the caribou are also affected and their populations either fall or exponentiate. An imbalance takes place. The whole ecosystem is out of whack. Birds that migrated to the North Slope in the summer begin to fly to central Alaska instead. Whole rodent populations there are decimated as these birds develop a new diet. Some other migrating bird species die off leaving the Great Plains in six inches of worms. Everybody enjoys the worm bonanza and goes fishing, depleting the rivers. The fish die off and no one gets any brain food, so the whole human population dies off due to stupidity.

Which is exactly the result when one doesn't pay attention to nature. But, who cares! We've got that oil!
Those in Alaska who have been studying this exact issue for decades can tell you, it's highly unlikely that the hypothetical catastrophe you illustrate here will happen. And anyone who says it already is is a hopeless Greenie, without any hard scientific evidence to back it.

With the environmental policies now in place in the USA, it would be next to impossible to drill/build a pipeline that harmed so much as a mouse. The construction technologies we use now for this sort of thing are DESIGNED by brilliant people to minimize and eliminate much of the impact; get with the times on this issue and look at recent construction of any similar facility. So many safeguards are in place, it's almost ridiculous...and that adds on to the cost.

Why, one place here in AK is backing DOWN on producing wind power...why?? Because some Greenpeace nut said it might kill some birds!!! Now THAT is over the top nonsense. That's what happens when you value animal life above anything else, and are just not thinking rationally.

Effect: your gas prices will STILL go up, until supply starts actually flowing from ANWR/other places. Do some research.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I didn't say anything about abandoning my current 'luxuries'. If we didn't produce oil, I have enough faith in human creativity that we could come up with alternatives. Our distance from nature has created many unnatural things that don't degrade over time and which serve only one purpose, only later to be disposed of in ways that are harmful. I have no issue with the range of items created using petroleum products. But, I am just seeing ahead further than most, and I see the road ahead is a dead end. Why not fully devote energies now to alternatives so the imminent change (abandonment of these 'luxuries' for example) isn't so dramatic and troubling?
But who is going to change when it is so easy not too ?? You say yourself you enjoy the products petroleum brings to us.. People are making money by producing oil, and people are making money consuming it. As is the case in most all of history, change is made out of necessity, and right this minute, it is not necessary.. You can't expect others to change if you yourself are not willing.

Quote:
Besides, we have a proud human history of living without these things just 300 years ago. With current technology and scientific understanding, I have no doubt comfortable alternatives would be cropping up all over the place.
I don't know about proud, but I'm sure early humans would have loved to have a pickup truck to get to the hunting grounds and haul their kill back in it, not to mention a can of diesel to get the fire going...

Quote:
I also suspect that if we just sit back and each industry simply says "it's too expensive to implement change" then, some day, the change will be made for us. The Earth won't bother sustaining us. One little axis shift (Mother Earth swiveling her hips ) and we're goners!
I don't believe an "Axis Shift" would come as a result of not making a switch from oil, but it will continue to get more expensive... I do have to say again though, why should a private industry spend their hard earned cash to make the planet or your life better, when it is not their goal in business ?? Do you think finding another source of energy should be paid for by private companies who have no interest or stake in it, other to be potentially harmed by it ?? What about all the companies that could not run without petroleum products ? Should they be forced to pay to find new energy sources ?

Old 05-16-2007, 09:36 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,954,543 times
Quote:

Are you pulling my leg?

Old 05-16-2007, 09:39 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,954,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyrnut View Post
Maybe if we relocated the animals ,and replaced them with Environmentalist we could just drill through them. Face it who cares about the Eco terrorist such as ALF and PETA. Aside from the Nuts that belong to them. (sorry if you belong to them, and don't realize what they really do) But yes they are Environmental Terrorist groups.

Wow, that was a pretty wild explanation about the Caribou or whatever it is.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiftShoppeGuy View Post
Quote:
Let's see if I can get this straight:

My small internet company can gross roughly 105k per annum.
After I pay for all of my taxes, labor/wages, materials, licensing and other associated overhead costs throughout the year, I find my net coming in at roughly 31k...
If that is not acceptable income to you, you should consider a career change, after all it is a free country we live in..

Okay:

Now I find an article online dealing with Exxon oil's "net" figures for a "quarter".

Remember..... "net" numbers are the ones that you have "after" you've paid for all of what it takes to do business in the first place. "Net" numbers are what you have, "after" you've paid the bills. These bills include upgrades, construction and development costs and so forth.....

>>> ... Net income amounted to $1.62 per share for the January-March period. That was up from $8.4 billion, or $1.37 per share, a year ago.... <<<

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/business/070426/b042668A.html (broken link)

Quote:
Now no one is going to sit there and try to BS me into believing that these "poor" oil companies "aren't" responsible for ripping us off.

9.3 billion is quite a "profit"...... and some of that is "my" money.
Remember...... these figures are "after costs"
No one has too, they post a price at the pump, you either buy it or you don't, you're choice... If you feel you are being ripped off, don't buy the product.. As far as some of that being "You're Money" ?? Did you not receive a product in return for that money, or do you just have buyers remorse now ?

Quote:
These numbers are for 1 quarter (one 3 month period).
Don't get too upset now, I'm sure those numbers will increase as time goes on...

As a side note:

Quote:
The tobacco companies sat right in front of Congress and swore that cigarettes weren't addictive.
So I guess it's okay for big oil to do the same.
If you feel addicted to oil, maybe you could look into developing a patch similiar to what smokers wear, that could possibly be an income boost for you ... If not, try coming up with your own alternatives instead of waiting for someone else to do it for you...

Last edited by Dir Drill 1; 05-16-2007 at 10:16 PM..

Old 05-16-2007, 10:16 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,876,338 times
My understanding is that the higher prices that are being charged will be used to defray the costs for better restroom cleaning at the gas stations. Also there is the high costs for key replacements that need to be made from time to time when drivers leave with the restroom key and don’t return.

This is all I got for now, nothing else truly explains the higher costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies