Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2009, 04:00 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,666,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
are we blaming the victim? What can women do to avoid being raped?
I have a right to wear and drive what ever I want. I have been profiled many times, mostly in the Midwest, Kansas Oklahoma,Missouri, Nebraska, Texas.
How do I combat this obvious intrusion? I remain cordial, polite, and respectful while the drug dogs take my car apart with all my shyt lying in highway. I sign the contact form and say thank you officer.

This is my small way of teaching that cop that some black men who look like criminals behave like law abiding citizens
Exactly. The woman analogy is apt here, and I'd just like to point out that by "woman" I mean women of all ethnicities. The only way I could be totally assured that I wouldn't be raped would be to only be around women. Even then, someone could use a foreign object. The problem is profiling, which to me is bad behavior and is the thing in question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 04:24 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,349,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
Because that isn't the norm in OKC. LA or Phoenix you see a lot more hispanics.
It doesn't matter! I did nothing wrong aside from being Hispanic. Regardless of the number of Hispanics in Oklahoma, there is a thing called ethics! The fact that those officers chose to ignore ethics and pull over someone because he was brown reflects poorly on their attitudes toward minorities. If you don't want to be racially profiled, don't live in areas like that. I know we want to be PC and pretend everyone in America has the same attitudes towards race but it's not true. Look at this thread. Most of the minorities are confirming what I'm saying. That's not a coincidence.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:30 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,349,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
A few years ago There were some AA's accusing a police officer of profiling..

At first the news showed the AA's telling their stories...It was sounding real bad for the officer..

After that interview they interviewed the officer, out walks a black police officer...
His remarks were,

"I'm a black police officer patrolling in a black neighborhood, just who do they think I will be pulling over for speeding"?

It was the end of that...
Speaking of Houston, do you remember the Robbie Tolan shooting? This was an afluent African American professional baseball player who lived in an affluent suburb in Houston,Texas. They incorrectly ran his plates and followed him to his home despite having a clean record. They assaulted his mother and shot him. The Bel Aire mayor initially did nothing to punish the police officers in charge. Real Sports on HBO exposed this incident

Questions surround shooting of baseballer's son - CNN.com

Old 12-01-2009, 04:44 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,075,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Speaking of Houston, do you remember the Robbie Tolan shooting? This was an afluent African American professional baseball player who lived in an affluent suburb in Houston,Texas. They incorrectly ran his plates and followed him to his home despite having a clean record. They assaulted his mother and shot him. The Bel Aire mayor initially did nothing to punish the police officers in charge. Real Sports on HBO exposed this incident

Questions surround shooting of baseballer's son - CNN.com
That's crazy. The Houston Police is a predominantly white force.

Any police department that is mostly white, there would be bias profiling.

Old 12-01-2009, 04:46 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,666,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It doesn't matter! I did nothing wrong aside from being Hispanic. Regardless of the number of Hispanics in Oklahoma, there is a thing called ethics! The fact that those officers chose to ignore ethics and pull over someone because he was brown reflects poorly on their attitudes toward minorities. If you don't want to be racially profiled, don't live in areas like that. I know we want to be PC and pretend everyone in America has the same attitudes towards race but it's not true. Look at this thread. Most of the minorities are confirming what I'm saying. That's not a coincidence.
And also, just speaking demographically, isn't it true that Oklahoma has a relatively large population of American Indians? Couldn't azriverfan have made the argument that he or she (sorry, don't know) could have been mistaken for a member of that related ethnic group? So then the question becomes, do white cops in OKC routinely profile American Indians?

Old 12-01-2009, 05:00 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,584,355 times
Avoid stereotypical behavior; avoid racists; stay 'below the radar'. These would help; however, it's no more possible to completely avoid being racially profiled than it's possible to avoid 'drawing attention', or to avoid 'annoying' someone else. In an imperfect world, there will always be stupid behavior, and people will make stupid assumptions.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:07 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,584,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
If a mexican guy steals, there should be profiling
If a black guy steals a car, there should be profiling
If a white guy steals a car, there should be profiling

and so on.
Right...and if a Pennsylvania Amish farmer with a straw hat and a strange beard gets on an airliner and tries to blow it, and everyone on it, (including himself) into eternity, then Amish airline passengers should get profiled more than non-Amish.....especially if the Amish had already claimed to 'hate all non-Amish', and drove horse-drawn 'suicide-buggies' into crowds of shoppers.

But that's only what SHOULD happen...in reality, it probably wouldn't be allowed.

Profiling is a 'no-no'.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:40 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,556,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post

My boyfriend is a member of a black fraternity .
What is a black fraternity?

Old 12-01-2009, 09:01 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,413,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
What is a black fraternity?
Try Google...it really can't be all that hard to comprehend.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:08 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,882,684 times
I actually think racial profiling would be a good thing. If there are 50% of A and 50% of B, but A commits 80% of the crimes, then they should focus on A more closely and not on B.
Crime statistics are being used for this. I don't see anything wrong with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies