Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was religion established to control people?
Yes 38 62.30%
No 23 37.70%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 11:28 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,914,250 times

Advertisements

Absolutely to control people. The first thing on the agenda : RULES written by men. Rules pertaining to matters below the waist. You figure it out. Toss in a scary god, some locusts = FEAR. Personal faith is something else entirely, and NO ONE can dictate HOW we should or should not see God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 11:29 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,958,708 times
I don't think religions began as an effort to control people. I think humans quite naturally have questions about the universe. Even as we learn more and more about the hows of the universe, the how doesn't answer why. For some people, there is a need to have the why answered. And people had experiences which they interpreted in ways to help them answer that why.

I think religion began as one person's answers to the questions about why made sense to others, satisfied those basic needs, and it wasn't about control at first, but evolved into a way to control people. And the issue, for me, isn't really about how a church or a religion controls the people who choose to believe in the particular tenets of a relition. I think it becomes an issue when a church or religion attempts to control non-believers.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:29 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,771,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbayeric View Post
The pleasure is mine. So far, the majority here doesn't like how you framed the question.

maybe i'll make it easier for you....

Is organized religion used to control people?? easier?

Old 12-01-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
I believe that the "roots" of religion were the attempts of early man to control an unpredictable enviornment and to grant "blessings" (good hunting, healthy children, etc.) At some point however, religion did become a method of controling large populations. . . . not the original root, but a related evil.

I was not referring to a general belief in something higher as existed but to organized religion.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Absolutely to control people. The first thing on the agenda : RULES written by men. Rules pertaining to matters below the waist. You figure it out. Toss in a scary god, some locusts = FEAR. Personal faith is something else entirely, and NO ONE can dictate HOW we should or should not see God.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I don't think religions began as an effort to control people. I think humans quite naturally have questions about the universe. Even as we learn more and more about the hows of the universe, the how doesn't answer why. For some people, there is a need to have the why answered. And people had experiences which they interpreted in ways to help them answer that why.

I think religion began as one person's answers to the questions about why made sense to others, satisfied those basic needs, and it wasn't about control at first, but evolved into a way to control people. And the issue, for me, isn't really about how a church or a religion controls the people who choose to believe in the particular tenets of a relition. I think it becomes an issue when a church or religion attempts to control non-believers.

right but again beliefs about whatever and organized religion full of rules is night and day

Old 12-01-2009, 11:49 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,076,047 times
Though I generally disagree with the OPs politics, I find the question simple and direct with a simple yes/no answer.

I'm an atheist and a conservative, which is something of a rarity on this forum. I see religion (not a belief system) as nothing more than a tool to control the masses. If I had plans to gain real power over the people, it's what I'd do. Religion is a great tool for those seeking political power. Every culture on the planet is conditioned from childhood to believe in various fairy tales. By the time the average kid has passed his formative years, he's already been fed Santa, Tooth fairies, monsters under the bed, Easter Bunnies, etc. Since their minds are already accustomed to accepting nonsense as fact, it's not hard at all to sell them on a deity that instructs them to give unto Caesar....

Ultimately all religions are eventually exposed (like GW) and rejected but our early childhood training, the one constant, makes us seek out a new religion to replace the one that failed us.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:52 AM

817 posts, read 854,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
Religion and Government used to be one in the same so was it not created to control the masses?
The answer is absolutely not.
If you knew your history and Christian history you wouldn't ask this question because the answer would be beyond obvious.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Though I generally disagree with the OPs politics, I find the question simple and direct with a simple yes/no answer.

I'm an atheist and a conservative, which is something of a rarity on this forum. I see religion (not a belief system) as nothing more than a tool to control the masses. If I had plans to gain real power over the people, it's what I'd do. Religion is a great tool for those seeking political power. Every culture on the planet is conditioned from childhood to believe in various fairy tales. By the time the average kid has passed his formative years, he's already been fed Santa, Tooth fairies, monsters under the bed, Easter Bunnies, etc. Since their minds are already accustomed to accepting nonsense as fact, it's not hard at all to sell them on a deity that instructs them to give unto Caesar....

Ultimately all religions are eventually exposed (like GW) and rejected but our early childhood training, the one constant, makes us seek out a new religion to replace the one that failed us.

Wait are you telling me that there is no tooth fairy?? than explain the tooth under pillow being replaced with money..

Old 12-01-2009, 11:54 AM

817 posts, read 854,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post

Here you go....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t1gv1zeMkY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies