Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the death penalty?
Yes, for murder as well as other serious crimes (such as rape) 53 36.55%
Yes, but only for convicted murderers 40 27.59%
No, I instead support life imprisonment 52 35.86%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 06:21 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,493,480 times

Advertisements

I am talking about political effort in all 50 states,to establish & fortify the Penalty by state Constitution
And about a federal constitutional amendment for it.

It is an uphill battle but democracy will win.

We would have already won if the Reps in blue states exercised their passion in favour of justice,instead of prohibiting ss marriage...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 07:54 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,726,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
I am talking about political effort in all 50 states,to establish & fortify the Penalty by state Constitution
And about a federal constitutional amendment for it.

It is an uphill battle but democracy will win.

We would have already won if the Reps in blue states exercised their passion in favour of justice,instead of prohibiting ss marriage...
Well to the dismay of the bloodthirsty republicants it's headed the other (sensible) way. 20 years from now no blue state will have a death penalty. The entire NE and upper MidWest will be death penalty free.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:05 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,674,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Well to the dismay of the bloodthirsty republicants it's headed the other (sensible) way. 20 years from now no blue state will have a death penalty. The entire NE and upper MidWest will be death penalty free.
You got like any, you know, facts to back that up?

Old 12-09-2009, 10:07 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,837,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
Go hug a thug jeesh.

Murderers deserve ZERO compassion. I hope each and every one of them is tortured by guilt and remorse daily. Perhaps then there is at least some hope for their souls.

Sadly, I doubt this is the case. The vast majority of murderers have no remorse, would commit the same crimes again and are only upset they got caught. The are predators, pure and simple. Kill them.
Me against the death penalty makes me have sympathy for thugs.. what a smart assumption Sherlock!
Life in prison is more of a punishment then simply killing them off so the murderers don't have to suffer.

Deterrence: States Without the Death Penalty Have Had Consistently Lower Murder Rates | Death Penalty Information Center
http://www.deathpenalty.org/download...es%20money.pdf
http://tech.mit.edu/V117/N51/ring.51c.html

"Life in prison, with no prayer of parole, should be the toughest sentence on our books. It ensures that the guilty never get out, keeps us from ever executing an innocent person, and allows us to spend the millions of dollars, wasted each year on the death penalty, on programs that will actually make us safer."

Old 12-09-2009, 10:25 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,674,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Me against the death penalty makes me have sympathy for thugs.. what a smart assumption Sherlock!
Life in prison is more of a punishment then simply killing them off so the murderers don't have to suffer.

Deterrence: States Without the Death Penalty Have Had Consistently Lower Murder Rates | Death Penalty Information Center
Legalized Murder: The Death Penalty Serves Revenge and Does Nothing to Solve Crime - The Tech

"Life in prison, with no prayer of parole, should be the toughest sentence on our books. It ensures that the guilty never get out, keeps us from ever executing an innocent person, and allows us to spend the millions of dollars, wasted each year on the death penalty, on programs that will actually make us safer."
Lets take a look at states with and without the death penalty. The states in Blue do not have the death penalty.

Do you really think the difference is because of having it or not having it or do you think maybe it could have something to do with the states themselves?

Once again if the death penalty appeals process was fixed it would save those same millions you post about. You also have the added bonus that many criminals will plead out to life to avoid the death penalty. This alone saves millions every year.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:26 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,304,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Contrary to your opinion, I SERIOUSLY doubt that the State I know VERY, Very well, Arizona, will EVER eliminate the Death Penalty. Actio is being take to enhance the death penalty -

Sorry, completely disagree with you

OBTW: I am not "bloodthirsty" (even though I have been a witness at an execution) and, Iam not a republican.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:03 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,304,594 times
The first attempt to execute an inmate in Ohio was botched -and UNSUCESSFUL. The inmate did not die. The question then became, can the State of Ohio, give it a go a second thim. The Court(s) said YES

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - A hearing on whether Ohio can try a second time to execute a condemned killer has ended early with a judge saying arguments can be made through court filings.

KTAR.com - Judge: Ohio inmate's execution appeal has limits

Old 12-09-2009, 01:36 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,493,480 times
[quote=cpterp;11952459]Well to the dismay of the bloodthirsty republicants it's headed the other (sensible) way. 20 years from now no blue state will have a death penalty. The entire NE and upper MidWest will be death penalty free.[/quote

Oops,I meant the Reps in RED states,where they have the majority...

As for the blue states,an "orange " revolution by centrist Dems can bring a pro -Penalty majority there...

We r not bloodthirsty,no blood is shed in humane ...capitalisations...

Personally,I prefer that the criminal goes to sleep,even having dreams & then to be anesthitised,passing away peacefully...

Old 12-09-2009, 01:43 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,726,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Contrary to your opinion, I SERIOUSLY doubt that the State I know VERY, Very well, Arizona, will EVER eliminate the Death Penalty. Actio is being take to enhance the death penalty -

Sorry, completely disagree with you

OBTW: I am not "bloodthirsty" (even though I have been a witness at an execution) and, Iam not a republican.
Well good for Arizona, but it's not in the Northeast or upper Midwest (Great Lakes), and it's not blue. If it's anything like it's neihbor New Mexico--the most recent state--to get rid of its death penalty, I wouldn't bet you life (pardon the pun) on your statement.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:58 PM

73,130 posts, read 62,780,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post

Legalized Murder: The Death Penalty Serves Revenge and Does Nothing to Solve Crime - The Tech

Not only that, many of the states that have the death penalty are also among the most violent states. Minnesota and Wisconsin have very low violent crime rates and those places don't have the death penalty. South Carolina and Georgia(as well as Louisiana) have the death penalty and those places have some of the highest violent crime rates in the USA. The murder capital of America, New Orleans, is in a state that has executed so many people. That is part of the proof that the death penalty doesn't work.
Some say the prisons are overcrowded. This is what I find. Many of the prisoners are there for drug dealing and other non-violent crimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies