Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 03:06 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,919,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
They don't have to leave - they only need to SAY they're leaving.

We don't have to SAY we're leaving - we only need to leave.

Looks like a good plan to me.
right! we shouldn't have announced when we were coming over there and we sure shouldn't announce when we are leaving. our troops don't have to be propaganda fodder for anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 03:07 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,399,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Well, finally an actual answer to the question, without a change in subject until the second word. And it only took sixteen posts to get it. Hats off to nicet4!

Now, next question:
If we would regard an announcement of unconditional withdrawl by the enemy, as victory for our side, is there any reason we should not regard an announcement of unconditional withdrawl by us, as victory by the enemy?
I can see the path you're trying to follow but you're still not talking anything real world. You're oversimplifying. Whoever said anything about "unconditional withdrawal"? Is that some kind of assumption on your part? If so, you may want to catch up on some news.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:09 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhman92 View Post
Al Qaeda are now operating in countries like Somalia, Yemen, Bangladesh, etc. They're pretty much spread around the world and if the U.S. only focuses on Afghanistan and Iraq, then terrorist attacks are going to happen more often.
I certainly don't disagree. One can only hope that our (Obama-castrated) intelligence agencies are keeping a keen eye on Al Qaeda in other parts of the world. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't push through the Taliban to get our hands on those that plotted the attacks against our nation.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:10 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
The Taliban will never leave Afghanistan because its their country and they're supported by the majority of Pashtuns, so it will be almost impossible to defeat them or get rid of them.

The Taliban get even stronger when the NATO/US send more soldiers.
That is called "dodging the question".

Old 12-03-2009, 03:11 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
So far nobody wants to address the real question. Pretty telling, isn't it? Even leftists are embarrassed over our announcement of when we will be leaving, and can't bear to even discuss it.

Back to the subject:
If the Taliban announced they'd leave Afghanistan in 2011, wouldn't we regard that as victory for our side?
Why would it be a victory? Was it one of the objectives Bush outlined when we went to war to begin with? Was forcing an indigent part of the Afghani population to migrate out of the country ever an objective?

Old 12-03-2009, 03:11 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
Quote:
Al Qaeda are now operating in countries like Somalia, Yemen, Bangladesh, etc. They're pretty much spread around the world and if the U.S. only focuses on Afghanistan and Iraq, then terrorist attacks get happen more often.
Who cares where they operate as long as it isn't here?

I don't care what happens to Somalia, Yemen, Bangladesh, Iran, Iraq, Pokistan or Saudi Arabia. If these people want to turn the clock back a thousand years then let them.

What people don't seem to be able to grasp is the fact Islam is incompatible with western civilization. Nothing wrong or hateful about the statement it's just a fact. Western civilization and culture certainly isn't compatible with Islam in Saudi Arabia and if you don't think so try taking a Bible, copy of playboy magazine and bottle of Seagram's into Riyadh and see how far western culture and civilization will get you.

I accept this, Saudi Arabia is their country and I support their effort to run it anyway they want.

George Bush and company were wrong. The whole idea democracy is for the rest of the world is a farce.

By continuing to allow Muslims into this country we are setting ourselves up.

"Can you cite one speck of hard evidence of the benefits of "diversity" that we have heard gushed about for years? Evidence of its harm can be seen — written in blood — from Iraq to India, from Serbia to Sudan, from Fiji to the Philippines. It is scary how easily so many people can be brainwashed by sheer repetition of a word."

— Thomas Sowell

Old 12-03-2009, 03:15 PM

731 posts, read 776,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I certainly don't disagree. One can only hope that our (Obama-castrated) intelligence agencies are keeping a keen eye on Al Qaeda in other parts of the world. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't push through the Taliban to get our hands on those that plotted the attacks against our nation.
There's one thing you need to know, as i said before and i will say it again the Taliban will never be weakend or eliminated. The more you kill the more they will expand.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:19 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,078,382 times
I personally don't care if the Taliban leaves, just as long as Al Qaeda does.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:20 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
right! we shouldn't have announced when we were coming over there and we sure shouldn't announce when we are leaving. our troops don't have to be propaganda fodder for anyone.
Why on earth were we ever there in the first place???

Get Bin Ladin.

Should have been easy to do.

Actually should have been unnecessary if only we had a policy no Muslims allowed in the US but that wasn't the case.

Without sabre rattling very quietly pinpoint where he was located (should have been very easy the day after 9/11 when he was still in the open) and nuke it. Not the entire country just one bomb and while there might have been an uproar in the middle east we'd never be attacked like that again.

Iraq would have been very quiet and no middle eastern ruler would have allowed Al Queda to base in their country.

In the long run there would have been far fewer deaths on both sides but I suppose to make liberals happy we need to share 1 for 1 in the death thing.

I would like to live in an America that is friend to all but has a reputation if attacked our fury is to terrible to contemplate.

Old 12-03-2009, 03:23 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times
Quote:
If the Taliban announced they'd leave Afghanistan in 2011, wouldn't we regard that as victory for our side?
Do you remember back in the early to mid 1990s when President Clinton sent American troops to Bosnia/Kosovo and declared they, the troops, would be home by Christmas? Never happened. They, the Taliban, can announce a date all they want. Words are worthless. Their actions are what's important. I don't put much faith in government leaders setting a date on military actions. It's not that I think they're lying. It's that in military situations, you have to be fluid and be able to change plans as the need arises. The Taliban could announce they're leaving but then get some unexpected financial and technical support from a muslim nation giving them what they need to mount another military action back into Afghanistan. From a military stand point, we won every combat battle we've had with the Taliban. That's not the problem. What's left is putting down pockets of resistance that are getting help from outside sources while at the same time helping the Afghani government and military to be able to take over defending their own nation. Not an easy task when Taliban fighters are getting into their military and shooting at our troops who are training them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies