Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 12:05 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,648 times

Advertisements

I feel like I spend a lot of time on here debating with the "evil" neo-cons but today I just decided maybe I would just be quiet for once and listen to the other side for a change. I don't think are differences are maybe all that great. For example, I'm a Liberal(Left-winger, ect) who is VERY oposed to illegal immagration. I personally feel the borders should be sealed and if you want to become an American then you have to apply, and become a citizen(or at least legal). If you look at Canada, you apply to live there, wait close to a yr, and the decide if you can live there based on your job, your level of education, and your criminal record. Nobody calls them racist for wanting to cull responsible applicants. Next, I also believe very strongly in the Second Amendment. Legal gun owners are not the ones shooting up the place. Criminals will always get guns, they don't care about restrictions. Restrictions only hamper the non-criminal. This doesn't mean I think anyone and everyone(criminals, mentally ill) should be able to get a gun but I don't believe there should be massive restrictions either. Finally, I strongly believe, STRONGLY BELIEVE, THIS IS A BIG COUNTRY WITH ABLE-BODIED PPL WILLING TO WORK-STOP SELLING US TO CHINA-LET US MANUFACTURE AND SELL OUR OWN PRODUCTS AND STOP BUYING EVERYTHING FROM CHINA AND STOP OUTSOURCING ALL OUR JOBS. Sorry, but until we stop buying everything from outside the U.S., until we start opening factories and manufacturing our own clothes, household items, ect, we will never be self-suficient. Think of all the jobs if we started to make our own goods! Wow!.....BUT, I also believe every American is entitled to Health Care and NO ONE should ever be bankrupt because they got hurt/sick. I also DO NOT want to EVER see religion and politics mixed, the Republican party needs to lose the religious right. How can you be against govt involvement but then let the govt decide what a woman does with her body?! I do have some Conservative views, that's why labels often don't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 01:15 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,344,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post

STOP TRYING TO BE THE WORLD'S POLICEMAN.
Well that's one issue you and pretty much any Left winger from Europe would agree on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
I personally feel the borders should be sealed and if you want to become an American then you have to apply, and become a citizen(or at least legal).
Do you have any idea how hard that actually is? Even for a European from a wealthy country, who has a solid financial background, it's next to impossible to get legal residency, unless you have an education in either the offshore oil sector (and work out of Houston) or have some other skill that's sorely needed.

Quote:
I also believe very strongly in the Second Amendment. Legal gun owners are not the ones shooting up the place. Criminals will always get guns, they don't care about restrictions. Restrictions only hamper the non-criminal.
Where do criminals get their firearms from?

Quote:
STRONGLY BELIEVE, THIS IS A BIG COUNTRY WITH ABLE-BODIED PPL WILLING TO WORK-STOP SELLING US TO CHINA-LET US MANUFACTURE AND SELL OUR OWN PRODUCTS AND STOP BUYING EVERYTHING FROM CHINA AND STOP OUTSOURCING ALL OUR JOBS.
Are you willing to pay the extra cost of all those products, if they are to be made by people who requires proper pay, health insurance etc?

Old 12-04-2009, 01:56 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Economically - Reduce corporate taxes, reduce or eliminate income taxes, collect taxes on consumption (which would include illegals), reduce government spending, pay off government debt

Socially -
1. Education, education, education on reading, writing, math, economics, government, history
2. Against abortion - either eliminate or special tax - because this hurts our most valuable resource - which is our citizens.
3. Speed up justice. More death penalties for obvious murder cases to remove overcrowding in prisons and to raise the risk and cost for those who choose to commit murder.
4. Institute a college football playoff system (just kidding)
5. Have Congress be in their home district for more time and do more teleconferencing. Remove the inside the Beltway mentality.

Just a few things I could think of.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:14 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,440,437 times
Quote:
I feel like I spend a lot of time on here debating with the "evil" neo-cons but today I just decided maybe I would just be quiet for once and listen to the other side for a change. I don't think are differences are maybe all that great. For example, I'm a Liberal(Left-winger, ect) who is VERY oposed to illegal immagration. I personally feel the borders should be sealed and if you want to become an American then you have to apply, and become a citizen(or at least legal). If you look at Canada, you apply to live there, wait close to a yr, and the decide if you can live there based on your job, your level of education, and your criminal record. Nobody calls them racist for wanting to cull responsible applicants. Next, I also believe very strongly in the Second Amendment. Legal gun owners are not the ones shooting up the place. Criminals will always get guns, they don't care about restrictions. Restrictions only hamper the non-criminal. This doesn't mean I think anyone and everyone(criminals, mentally ill) should be able to get a gun but I don't believe there should be massive restrictions either. Finally, I strongly believe, STRONGLY BELIEVE, THIS IS A BIG COUNTRY WITH ABLE-BODIED PPL WILLING TO WORK-STOP SELLING US TO CHINA-LET US MANUFACTURE AND SELL OUR OWN PRODUCTS AND STOP BUYING EVERYTHING FROM CHINA AND STOP OUTSOURCING ALL OUR JOBS. Sorry, but until we stop buying everything from outside the U.S., until we start opening factories and manufacturing our own clothes, household items, ect, we will never be self-suficient. Think of all the jobs if we started to make our own goods! Wow!.....BUT, I also believe every American is entitled to Health Care and NO ONE should ever be bankrupt because they got hurt/sick. I also DO NOT want to EVER see religion and politics mixed, the Republican party needs to lose the religious right. How can you be against govt involvement but then let the govt decide what a woman does with her body?! I do have some Conservative views, that's why labels often don't work.

It sounds to me as if you ARE a Conservative. I agree with everything you said, even the health insurance. My issue with the health care bill is that it is yet another thing Government wants to take over. I have no issue with coming up with a way to make sure all Americans have access to health insurance just not a government run program.

I am right with certain issues on the left. I believe in gay marriage, I believe that abortions, as much as I don't like them should be legal. I also believe that we as a country need to start helping our own instead of everyone else. Stop sending billions to other countries when we need it right here.

To many people think they know about the other side but they have no clue. The majority of conservatives are NOT neo-con, bible thumping, loons.

I applaud you for taking the time to actually try and see what they other side is about.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:37 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
I lean more on the libertarian side of the spectrum:

-End the wars in Iraq and Afghanistant, and bring ALL the troops home (including the troops in places such as Germany and Japan). Ending the wars will reduce spending and more important, American blood. We need to stop policing the world.

-Thomas Jefferson wisely said, "peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none." Leave the U.N, NATO, etc.

-Cut spending and work towards reducing the debt. I know this is extremely vague, but there is a lot that can be done in this arena. Phase out social welfare, cut unnecessary federal jobs, reduce salaries, etc.

-I support gay marriage and abortion rights (although I believe it should be a last resort).

I know this is brief, but it gives a general idea of my views.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:47 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
The problem with the labels is they have gotten so muddled.

A true conservative has nothing to do with religion, even though the Religious Right has snuck their tentacles into the conservative side.

In the classic definition, a liberal is more "socially conscious" - supports government-backed social spending and more government control. Basically, they are pro "Big Government".

A conservative is just the opposite. Less government, less government regulation and control, more state's rights.

Unfortunately, religion and the "Moral Majority" has gotten tangled up in everything and screwed it up for everyone else.

Oh strange. I don't know one conservative in my life that does attend church and is religious. The religious is the right. It is because the GOP has been moving away from that reality, they have been losing elections. I may not go to church myself but I very much identify as a conservative. What is screwing everything up is the "Immoral Minority".

Old 12-04-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
What is screwing everything up is the "Immoral Minority".
Who is and how do you define this "Immoral Minority"?

Old 12-04-2009, 03:21 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Oh strange. I don't know one conservative in my life that does attend church and is religious. The religious is the right. It is because the GOP has been moving away from that reality, they have been losing elections. I may not go to church myself but I very much identify as a conservative. What is screwing everything up is the "Immoral Minority".

Go research some basic history.

Conservatism has nothing to do with religion, it has to do with small government. It's just been corrupted.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:08 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Go research some basic history.

Conservatism has nothing to do with religion, it has to do with small government. It's just been corrupted.

No I'm pretty sure it is you that needs to do some research.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:32 PM

Conservative
–adjective 1. disposed to preserve existing conditions, institutions, etc., or to restore traditional ones, and to limit change.
2. cautiously moderate or purposefully low: a conservative estimate.
3. traditional in style or manner; avoiding novelty or showiness: conservative suit.
4. (often initial capital letter) of or pertaining to the Conservative party.
5. (initial capital letter) of, pertaining to, or characteristic of Conservative Jews or Conservative Judaism.
6. having the power or tendency to conserve; preservative.
7. Mathematics. (of a vector or vector function) having curl equal to zero; irrotational; lamellar.

–noun 8. a person who is conservative in principles, actions, habits, etc.
9. a supporter of conservative political policies.
10. (initial capital letter) a member of a conservative political party, esp. the Conservative party in Great Britain.
11. a preservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies