Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 06:55 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
excellent point. i always believed that if we are going to "war" then the goal should be to "massively hit them with everything", or else you are just getting soldiers picked off for no real reason. why would any country send their soldiers into guerilla warfare? it should be "all in" or "all out", and i totally agree with "all out". we can use those soldiers at the borders and they would still all have jobs, only they would be protecting us instead of fighting someone else.

i would like to add a touching report i read from an afghan perspective:
The devastated Afghani | GroundReport
I am a culturalist hating the idea of multiculturalism.

I love this quote by Thomas Sowell:

Quote:
"Can you cite one speck of hard evidence of the benefits of "diversity" that we have heard gushed about for years? Evidence of its harm can be seen — written in blood — from Iraq to India, from Serbia to Sudan, from Fiji to the Philippines. It is scary how easily so many people can be brainwashed by sheer repetition of a word."
Europeans founded an America based on European mores and customs. Sure the Indians were here first and while it sucked to be them I offer no apology.

We need to keep American culture European because it is superior to the rest of the world's cultures. This current love for multiculturalism we seem to be suffering will end in disaster.

Take a recent Muslim immigrants from Somalia that seem to be all the rage. They don't value western ideals of freedom their cultural background doesn't allow them to appreciate it. They enjoy the riches, the free stuff, free housing and free food but they do not enjoy our culture. Unlike Europeans they can not and will not assimilate.

If Muslims were never allowed into America, even for a visit or education, 9/11 would never have happened. Imagine life being able to go into our airports without having to take our shoes off.

Someday we will suffer a Yugoslavia type break up. It will not be pretty.

If you are in disagreement you might want to consider living in Zimbabwe, Burma, Pokistan or a host of other countries you feel might be better culturally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 08:07 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
How much do illegal immigrants cost America per year? How much do they contribute, in the form of cheap labor? In what way have the illegal immigrants run over and destroyed the area you live in?
Illegal immigration has a number of negative impacts on the U.S. They use social services, yet they often don't pay taxes. In addition to that, Americans are forced to compete with cheap labor. Fewer jobs and lower income for legal citizens.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:37 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times
Wouldn't it also be fair to say that the cheap labor they provide makes it possible for the middle class (and up) to maintain their standard of living?

If it weren't for their cheaper labor, things would get a lot more expensive, and as a result, the standard of living would, at least for the middle and lower middle class, go down.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't think social exploitation of cheap labor is a good thing, I just don't think it's as clear cut as many make it out to be.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:52 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
Wouldn't it also be fair to say that the cheap labor they provide makes it possible for the middle class (and up) to maintain their standard of living?

If it weren't for their cheaper labor, things would get a lot more expensive, and as a result, the standard of living would, at least for the middle and lower middle class, go down.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't think social exploitation of cheap labor is a good thing, I just don't think it's as clear cut as many make it out to be.
Sure things would get more expensive. But in the long run, relying on cheap labor will be bad for the country. Without enforcing immigration laws and punishing employers who hire illegal immigrants, there will always be an incentive for people to come here illegally. We may be saving money while purchasing a pair of shoes or having a broken window repaired, but we'll also be losing money while paying a higher price (taxes) for social services (health care, education, etc.)

If employers continue to employ illegal immigrants, then there will be less tax revenue for the government and there would be less money available for a legal citizen to stimulate the economy (of course illegals spend money here, but often times they bring it home to their families in other countries). Illegal immigration has so many economic affects.

Last edited by ilovemycomputer90; 12-04-2009 at 09:02 PM..

Old 12-04-2009, 09:11 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,425,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Why is being religious such a bad thing?

+ a whole bunch of other stuff.

I never said it was a bad thing.

But religion has no place in running a country.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:16 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,346,537 times
Fair point, I do think you'd need to ease up on your immigration laws, maybe especially when it comes to your neighbors to the south, they do provide a workforce that are, at the very least, willing to take some jobs that most Americans don't want. They are cheaper, but making it legit means more tax money for you and higher salaries for them.

This is the result of a free market, and it's very hard, if not impossible to have a free market only within some lines written on a map.

You do have a point though, which only illuminates my original position; it's a complicated matter, and there's no absolute right or wrongs.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:47 PM

63 posts, read 57,909 times
Illegal Immigration Costs California Over Ten Billion Annually. Not to mention other states.
the cheap labor provided? Is killing the states-and the taxpayers. This means you and I. Every taxpayer in this country pays for illegals.
Let them come legally like so many others did. But make sure they pay their own way and do not sneak over to become more of a burden we cannot afford.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:43 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
I never said it was a bad thing.

But religion has no place in running a country.

if you truly believe that, then you should also believe that science of any type has no place in running goverment either.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:03 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
The very things that have taken our nation to it's lowest lows, are policies enacted by the Democratic party.

Free trade. Dropping tariffs on imports. We said bye-bye- to our manufacturing base
Global economics, put above American economics
Illegal immigration, drawn up and made law, nothing was enforced.
Welfare
and a host of Robinhood, laws.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:05 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,768 times
"government is not the solution,government is the problem". ronald reagen. I TRUELY BELEAVE THAT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies