Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 09:33 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times

Advertisements

Liberal talk radio has been a failure largely because the liberal hosts are not as good as their conservative counterparts. They are rather passive and don't know how to achieve the emotional response that guys like Rush, Hannity, Glenn Beck and Michael Savage among others are so great at doing. When I listen to liberal talk radio, it's usually some "chick" who is trying to sound tough but comes accross as some smarmy whiny mom aka Rachel Maddow. Instead, I want the liberal version of Anne Coulter, yeah someone who is in your face and will rub it in! Why are there not gruff self-assured tough sounding liberals on radio? Seriously, check out MSNBC. Keith Olberman...the Sports Center guy is the voice of liberal talk??? Give me a break, Olberman is a comedian, he is not an angry curmudgeon! If I'm bored in traffic, I want to listen to someone interesting who has opinion and not some pansy like Olberman who essentially plasters a Sports Center delivery on political issues. Even Al Franken was weak. He is a former Saturday Night Live comedian who did Stuart Smalley. Seriously, how come there is no testosterone with regard to liberal talk? John Stewart makes a living mocking Fox News instead of creating his own material. If liberal radio included hosts like that, it would be really popular among liberals and conservatives alike. Why are there no militant radical sounding liberal hosts who can pi$$ people off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 09:39 AM

2,352 posts, read 2,277,851 times
Stephanie Miller, pictured here (on the right) with CC Goldwater, is a hoot. How ironic that both the daughters of the presidential candidate team of Goldwater Miller are democrats.

I'd hit em both by the way. They are both babes.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Stephanie Miller, pictured here (on the right) with CC Goldwater, is a hoot. How ironic that both the daughters of the presidential candidate team of Goldwater Miller are democrats.

http://i49.tinypic.com/34ifsqo.jpg

I'd hit em both by the way. They are both babes.
That's the problem, they are a "hoot" They are trying to be funny and cute. I don't want that. Why are there no tough liberals. Where is the liberal version of Rush...and don't say Franken because he is kind of a smarmy pansy than a tough talking radical liberal.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:40 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
When the only agenda is free-love for all and the expectation that everyone believe that "we're all the same," then what else is there to talk about? If everyone's the same and our differences are minimal, that makes for one hell of a boring concept.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:43 AM

900 posts, read 672,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Liberal talk radio has been a failure largely because the liberal hosts are not as good as their conservative counterparts. They are rather passive and don't know how to achieve the emotional response that guys like Rush, Hannity, Glenn Beck and Michael Savage among others are so great at doing. When I listen to liberal talk radio, it's usually some "chick" who is trying to sound tough but comes accross as some smarmy whiny mom aka Rachel Maddow. Instead, I want the liberal version of Anne Coulter, yeah someone who is in your face and will rub it in! Why are there not gruff self-assured tough sounding liberals on radio? Seriously, check out MSNBC. Keith Olberman...the Sports Center guy is the voice of liberal talk??? Give me a break, Olberman is a comedian, he is not an angry curmudgeon! If I'm bored in traffic, I want to listen to someone interesting who has opinion and not some pansy like Olberman who essentially plasters a Sports Center delivery on political issues. Even Al Franken was weak. He is a former Saturday Night Live comedian who did Stuart Smalley. Seriously, how come there is no testosterone with regard to liberal talk? John Stewart makes a living mocking Fox News instead of creating his own material. If liberal radio included hosts like that, it would be really popular among liberals and conservatives alike. Why are there no militant radical sounding liberal hosts who can pi$$ people off?
Logic and reason don't have nearly as much appeal as demagogic lunacy.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:50 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
You answered your own question.

The most successful talk shows, on television or radio, appeal to people emotionally. They are meant to be provocative, to get people excited.

The least successful talk shows, on television or radio, appeal to people intellectually. Rather than be provocative, they are meant to be thought-provoking. Thought-provoking means work. You have to actually work out what you think about an issue.

It's easier to go with your gut response when a commentator actually guides that gut response, then to actually think about an issue. Plus, it's faster. No building an argument, no logically spelling your rationale out. Just an anecdote written to provoke you in a certain way, and bam! you're right where the commentator wants you.

As a side note, those commentators provoking emotional responses also do so with a wider audience in mind. For instance, telling a story about Little Jessica who was molested will get a predictable response from a wide range of people. Talking about the environmental impact of global climate change in Madagascar doesn't get a predictable response, it gets a diverse range of responses from a much smaller audience.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:53 AM

2,087 posts, read 1,765,125 times
Quote:

because you prefer entertainment over truth

Old 12-04-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
You answered your own question.

The most successful talk shows, on television or radio, appeal to people emotionally. They are meant to be provocative, to get people excited.

The least successful talk shows, on television or radio, appeal to people intellectually. Rather than be provocative, they are meant to be thought-provoking. Thought-provoking means work. You have to actually work out what you think about an issue.

It's easier to go with your gut response when a commentator actually guides that gut response, then to actually think about an issue. Plus, it's faster. No building an argument, no logically spelling your rationale out. Just an anecdote written to provoke you in a certain way, and bam! you're right where the commentator wants you.

As a side note, those commentators provoking emotional responses also do so with a wider audience in mind. For instance, telling a story about Little Jessica who was molested will get a predictable response from a wide range of people. Talking about the environmental impact of global climate change in Madagascar doesn't get a predictable response, it gets a diverse range of responses from a much smaller audience.
Everything comes down to tone. You can still be logical and pi$$ people off if you speak in a condescending and tough manner. Yet the liberal hosts don't do that. They try to be funny and it just doesn't arouse the same type of response. And I don't think all conservative hosts speak from the gut and don't justify their arguments with reasons.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:57 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
Quote:

My initial guess is differences in testosterone levels? Just wondering why the affliction seemingly occurs more in liberal males.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
because you prefer entertainment over truth
Sorry but the liberal hosts are not providing the truth either. They are biased and have their own take on issues which is fine but they should deliver it in a better package. They are trying to be entertaining but they aren't as good at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies