Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 09:45 PM

731 posts, read 777,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
A big difference is that Obama did not attack the wrong country. Second big difference is that he is focussed in containing terrorists in their most productive area - which also has drugs and a nuclear neighbor in its mix. OK, we (Dems/Reps) do not have the guts to stand up against Saudis who indirectly funded some of the training camps , but moving out of Afghanistan just plain tells the world we are a bunch of pu$$ies and attacks on us are just fine.

No kidding - anti-Indian message from a friend in Pakistan? Pakistanis have been openly supporting terrorists against India - ask your friend what the govt there is doing to contain terrorists that are regularly snaked into India and result in Mumbai-type attacks. The pakistanis are starting to get a taste of their own medicine.
India and Pakistan have had a beef for a long time, does anyone know the reason behind that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 10:02 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,994,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Somehow it seems that Obama said in his speech the other night that he wanted to do nearly everything that was done wrong in iraq. He failed to see that the Surge of Petraeus did the trick and wants to go back to earlier days. I wonder if he really wants to win. He never did say anything about winning the other night.

Strikingly, Obama’s Afghan Strategy Manages to Repeat Almost Every Single Mistake Made in Iraq - Jeff_Emanuel’s blog - RedState
As long as "Jeff Emanuel" of "Red State" believes this ... it must be true !!!

Old 12-04-2009, 10:15 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,312,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
As long as "Jeff Emanuel" of "Red State" believes this ... it must be true !!!
I would guess that you either don't know all the errors of the Iraq war or you don't know what Obama is proposing.

If my guesses are wrong then I must accuse you of attacking the messenger instead of the message.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:19 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,552,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhman92 View Post
India and Pakistan have had a beef for a long time, does anyone know the reason behind that?
Besides Kashmir?

That's a yes.

I only provided the story that was relayed to me because it came from someone alot closer to the story than the teleprompter

Old 12-04-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Roy, how'd you feel when Bush was president. You never once complained about the war then.
You silly.
How many of my posts did you read before the Surge that happened in spring of 2007? I am thinking none at all but maybe you were at some of the places I was at then.

I think that until Petraeus executed that Surge that Obama and Reid declared unworkable in early 2007 little had been done that was right.

Now we have a President who thinks that a 3/4 Surge may work in Afghanistan. A much larger country than Iraq with fewer soldiers than his commander asked for. I hope it works out but don't think it will unless he lets the military commanders do the commanding.

Once again, you don't know it but I was never really for the way that Iraq war was prosecuted until the Surge and before it really got to work completely the Dems in Congress had shut it down. Now Obama is being continually screamed at by so many of them to give it up after he promised to finish it. I feel for him because of this.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyeller View Post
Well roy I was all for the upping of troops as that is what the military folks wanted. I was actually glad I had something to agree with the great Obama on but then he added his withdrawl date. Well what the hell is the point if your just gonna pull out in a couple years on a certain date? Hell may as well get out now and save the lives of folks for the next couple years. Left handers will never know how to fight a war that's for sure bunch of idiots is all they are.
I think that the withdrawal date is intended to make the far left a bit less unhappy with him. Obama is caught between a rock and a hard place. He made all those promises and can't even keep this one because so many of his own party don't want it to happen. He wants to do the right thing and his party won't allow him to do it.

Yes that date will only make the Afghans hide out till the date gets here and the Dems force Obama to get out. The attack today convinces me that the military people in Afghanistan think they are supposed to try to win, whatever that turns out to be. The Surge is months away since troops won't start going before sometime in January. My former foster daughter was slated to go there in September and will be getting specialized training next week for a couple of weeks and leave around Christmas for Afghanistan. Of course, this group has nothing to do with a surge, at all.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhman92 View Post
The best info I could find about your question is that in 1947, (I was in high school then) when the British were getting out of India they split them into the two nations they are now. At that time the religions, Muslim in Pakistan, and the mostly Hindus of India were at each other's throats and have been ever since. Of course, there are political differences and used to be the jealousy of Pakistan over the success of India and the jealousy of India over Pakistan coming up with the first atomic weapon.

I think that we could say that it is both religion and politics that have caused it all. I do remember in the late 40s and early 50s each group attacked the people of the other religion in some very bloody set tos. That was mostly religious, as I remember.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:30 AM

9 posts, read 15,374 times
Default The George W.Bush Administration

Quote:
I would guess that you either don't know all the errors of the Iraq war or you don't know what Obama is proposing.

If my guesses are wrong then I must accuse you of attacking the messenger instead of the message.
Thank God you are not teaching our kids History!

Old 12-05-2009, 11:53 AM

346 posts, read 408,394 times
Quote:
I think that the withdrawal date is intended to make the far left a bit less unhappy with him. Obama is caught between a rock and a hard place. He made all those promises and can't even keep this one because so many of his own party don't want it to happen. He wants to do the right thing and his party won't allow him to do it.

Yes that date will only make the Afghans hide out till the date gets here and the Dems force Obama to get out. The attack today convinces me that the military people in Afghanistan think they are supposed to try to win, whatever that turns out to be. The Surge is months away since troops won't start going before sometime in January. My former foster daughter was slated to go there in September and will be getting specialized training next week for a couple of weeks and leave around Christmas for Afghanistan. Of course, this group has nothing to do with a surge, at all.
It appears all we are left to do is kill as many Talibon and bad guys as possible before the left forces the retreat. Now my question is will that even happen and only time will tell. I'm sure we'll have plenty of airpower and spec forces still running around even if the ONE decides to play political games with the troops. Maybe the Talibon will think they have free reign again and come swarming out of the hills and we can blast em to bits. Of course some civilians might get in the way so I guess that is out of the question. PC wars tough to fight. Maybe lefties should go over and play the human shield game for em?

Old 12-10-2009, 06:44 PM

731 posts, read 777,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyeller View Post
It appears all we are left to do is kill as many Talibon and bad guys as possible before the left forces the retreat. Now my question is will that even happen and only time will tell. I'm sure we'll have plenty of airpower and spec forces still running around even if the ONE decides to play political games with the troops. Maybe the Talibon will think they have free reign again and come swarming out of the hills and we can blast em to bits. Of course some civilians might get in the way so I guess that is out of the question. PC wars tough to fight. Maybe lefties should go over and play the human shield game for em?
Its almost impossible to defeat the Taliban, the more you kill the more they will expand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies