Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 07:31 AM

628 posts, read 2,044,216 times

Advertisements

to the poster a page back who gave the prices on the Swansons meals--that's Swansons (as in the stuff you buy at your grocery store) NOT Schwans--I would say most Schwans meals do add up to about $6/pp which is too high.

I never buy a main dish which costs more than $5 for both me and my husband--so $2.50 each unless it will have lots of leftovers for lunches--and we net 70k....$6pp for just the main entree (this does not include sides or beverages is much too high for me)

Also did you guys know that Papa Murphys (the take and bake pizza place) accepts EBT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 07:33 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,308,171 times
Why are so many of you assuming the welfare recipient getting a delivery from Schwans is able to drive to the store? A high percentage of welfare recipients are disabled or the elderly and a lot of them have to depend on someone else to take them shopping once or twice a month.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:37 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I've often been behind someone at the register who is using food stamps, so it's pretty easy to see what I am paying for. Most of the time it's junk food that anyone who is nutritionally aware wouldn't be buying in large quantities.
I'm sure it is pretty easy...I just don't really care what's going on in other people's households. By the time I'm in the checkout area I'm trying to group all my stuff together so the cashier doesn't put my ice cream in the bag with my cereal because then the cereal box gets all wet...I hate that The only time I really notice how the other person is paying is if they hold the line up (writing a check, machine wouldn’t read their card, etc) usually my mission is to get in and out as soon as possible with as much stuff as I need for the least amount of money.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:38 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,234,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Or go raid a food pantry. That's what they do here, they use up their food stamps eating out at fast food places like McDonalds and having meals delivered to their door and then grab up boxes of food from the food pantries.

No wonder obesity is the biggest health problem of our food stamp class of people.
I think you're just jealous that you can't do it too.
You want a poor and uneducated person to go get a job, when there are none to be had. Isn't it you republicans who keep saying there's no jobs (unemployment figures) are up. Yet you begrudge a person or a family to have to accept some forms of assistance (like EBT)
I'd like to see you on your knees begging for something when you've lost all, and can't afford to buy a box of crackers, maybe then you'll change your attitude. I think you're clueless.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:40 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
The taxpayers must tighten their belts? Have you asked the average food stamp recipient how much they get each month for food?

I'm working on a little assumption here, that maybe you believe that the poor and disabled all have lousy taste in cuisine, or that they deserve to eat junk. Which is it?
Pure idiocy.

I can hardly stoop so low as to comment, much less fathom coming up with such an ignorant post.

You apparently know nothing of the pricing structure of Schwan's, or else you'd understand why it makes no sense for the hungry to call on that company to stock the refrigerator.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:42 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
If a food stamp recipient who has, let's keep it simple, $100 per month and buys ten $10 meals or twenty $5.00 meals, that is their choice either way we tax payers are allotting the same $100.00 so what is the big deal, $100 is $100 dollars.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:44 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,234,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Why are so many of you assuming the welfare recipient getting a delivery from Schwans is able to drive to the store? A high percentage of welfare recipients are disabled or the elderly and a lot of them have to depend on someone else to take them shopping once or twice a month.
In Sierra County New Mexico, we have elderly AND poor who have NO WHEELS, and they depend on seniors transport or other transportation means, and meals on wheels.
I think the OP is a crybaby because poor and less fortunate are receiving something they cannot, and think their taxpayer dollars are being squandered.
Problem is, these types of people are the inconsiderate types, and never give back to the community because they think again, that's what taxpayer dollars are for. They look down upon the poor and needy as lesser citizens than themselves.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:47 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
If a food stamp recipient who has, let's keep it simple, $100 per month and buys ten $10 meals or twenty $5.00 meals, that is their choice either way we tax payers are allotting the same $100.00 so what is the big deal, $100 is $100 dollars.
because people want them to spend the $100 on Ramen noodles and wonder bread so they can feel satisfaction that they are eating better than the poor.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:51 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Humility must not be your strong-suit.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:20 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
My guess it's more like $100 a week (or more) and that's why they can afford to eat out so often in fast food places and have their meals delivered to their door. Add in generous WIC coupons and of course the 2 meals a day at the Head Starts and public schools and there certainly is no suffering or need for belt tightening or frugality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies